Hot Rod Forum banner

Mac tool box-Deal/No Deal

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  F&J 
#1 · (Edited)
Need some opinions as to what would be a "good deal" price for this older Mac tool box. I've just begun looking for something similar and not familiar with prices. This box has just been advertised locally.

Here is description;

Very nice, slightly older Mac Tools 10 drawer roll cab tool box. I just upgraded to a bigger Snap On box, and don't have the room to keep this one. It has friction slide drawers (no ball bearings), but they are super heavy duty and smooth as glass. When I bought it, I took all the drawers out and cleaned and lubed everything. Large bottom drawer has double slides for extra load carrying ability. I have the key, and the lock works as it should. Casters still in good shape. Some scrapes and dings, but the box is still functionally perfect. Again, no issues. Nice drawer liners and top mat. Cool Snap On sticker is included at no charge

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll venture that it's worth between $10 and $1000. I found a Mac Tools one locally with a decent set of basic hand tools (no HF stuff) included for $750. Big thing to remember is that as soon as you buy that box for "X" dollars, one will magically appear 6 houses from you for a third of the price. Happens every day. It's the same as lawn mowing in the summer, you start your mower and suddenly every neighbor has to mow their lawn....

In a while, Chet.

#5 ·
No problem, anytime.

2, two and a half sounds pretty fair. Probably wouldn't need Vaseline at 3 either. I saw an older Craftsman one a decade plus ago at a farm sale (it was pretty beat up and covered in a mix of dry and semi-fresh cow manure) go for well over that. No tools included, just a small assortment of flies. I started walking away when the bidding hit $750. IIRC, it was the same sale that my dad scored a 3/4" drive Snap-On breaker bar for the price of $1. You just never know what's in the bottom of a wooden junk drawer....

In a while, Chet

#8 ·
I actually remembered to look at my top boxes today...wasn't sure if one was a Mac or Matco. It's a HD Mac, maybe a tick older than yours. It's fine except I have my dads old HEAVY 3/4 & 1 inch drive stuff in the bottom drawer. Those non ball bearing slides are maxed out with that much weight. I like the box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.