mac tools, going down the drain - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2007, 08:12 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Where izzit made?

Interesting that the link to the site for buying "all American" tools specifies that Craftsman is all-USA made. My buddy, who is a distributor for a bunch pf Chinese stuff says (Hope he's wrong!) that the ratcheting box-end wrenches are ALL made by the same supplier, and get stamped as Craftsman, $nap-on Mac, proto, Kobalt, etc, etc when they are ordered. His advice is to get the cheapest ones avail at Wallyworld, Home Despot, Lowes etc as they are all the same anyway. Of course, its not like he has ever BS'd me before.......

However, I've noticed the Craftsman name appearing on a LOT of crap lately - remember those pliers that are made up of layers of thin steel rivetted together?

(My rule: If "Boob" Vila pushes it, its junk, regardless of where it may be made!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2007, 09:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Snap on trucks are half loaded with 'Blue Point' crap anymore.Thats their made in Taiwan line but its twice the price of the rest of the made in Taiwan stuff.No lifetime warranty either.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210
Interesting that the link to the site for buying "all American" tools specifies that Craftsman is all-USA made. My buddy, who is a distributor for a bunch pf Chinese stuff says (Hope he's wrong!) that the ratcheting box-end wrenches are ALL made by the same supplier, and get stamped as Craftsman, $nap-on Mac, proto, Kobalt, etc, etc when they are ordered. His advice is to get the cheapest ones avail at Wallyworld, Home Despot, Lowes etc as they are all the same anyway. Of course, its not like he has ever BS'd me before.......

However, I've noticed the Craftsman name appearing on a LOT of crap lately - remember those pliers that are made up of layers of thin steel rivetted together?

(My rule: If "Boob" Vila pushes it, its junk, regardless of where it may be made!)
I have used Craftsman's best and Snap-on's ratchets. there is no comparison on the ratcheting mechanism.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:34 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210
I My buddy, who is a distributor for a bunch pf Chinese stuff says (Hope he's wrong!) that the ratcheting box-end wrenches are ALL made by the same supplier, and get stamped as Craftsman, $nap-on Mac, proto, Kobalt, etc, etc when they are ordered.
That's an old "urban legend" that has been around in one form or another just about forever and it simply is not true! Sure some tool brands are made by the same parent company but that does not mean they all come from the same factory or are the same quality. Craftsman in no way compares to Snap-on in quality!
Old 12-30-2007, 07:50 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Cornwell , a name not often heard out here at the west end of the country.

I've turned wrenches for decades and i find comments here interesting - enlightening .

Never thought about it much;

my ratchets are Snap-on, most sockets = Snap-on

End wrenches are Craftsman - Snap-on - some Proto - some junk I cut up for special use application

I've got a Craftsman Pro series 3/8 air power drill.... it works great. Good slow speed control

I use the cheap 3/8 impact from Craftsman on my bench (trans work) in about 2 years they wear out, i buy a new one.

OFten i find my Craftsman screw drivers fit various screws better than my Snap-on screw drivers. I have the pro series Craftsman screw drivers now .. they were on sale.

I carry a Craftsman plastic carry box set of tools in my vehicles IF I break down some where. I know they will get the job done and Sears has a tool sale every third day of each week on these box sets

The Snap on dealer comes by the shop each week. Sometimes he shoots the BS , sometimes he is in a hurry. Other tool dealers MAY come by for a few weeks, then they disappear if you do not buy from them every other week.

I have Craftsman Pro series tool boxes. This past year I bought my first new Snap-on roll cab.

I had a Snap-on dealer ask me years ago :" How can you keep your Snap-on tools in an ordinary Craftsman tool box?"... I responded that when I arrive at work in the morning the tools have not jumped out onto the floor to save themselves

Old 12-30-2007, 05:43 PM

Last photo:

I see kline in this, http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/shoppingindex.html as a electrician I've bought many Klien tools over the yrs. screw drivers dikes linemans pliers & fish tapes ect. I ordered klien socket's and a few other mechanic tools out of a klien catalog from a wholesaler yrs ago. there top notch stuff with life time guarantee and then when I ordered them in the 80s I paid walmart prices. I've said for yrs I need to order more stuff but haven't.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangsaly
I see kline in this, http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/shoppingindex.html as a electrician I've bought many Klien tools over the yrs. screw drivers dikes linemans pliers & fish tapes ect. I ordered klien socket's and a few other mechanic tools out of a klien catalog from a wholesaler yrs ago. there top notch stuff with life time guarantee and then when I ordered them in the 80s I paid walmart prices. I've said for yrs I need to order more stuff but haven't.
I find it interesting that one of the sponsors for that site is Northern Tool & Equipment which has flooded their inventory with cheap chi-com tools and products. I am so disgusted with the one near me with all the HF quality stuff they have started carrying. Tractor Supply Company is another one like that.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:30 AM
My compass doesn't point North

Last photo:

Our local vocational school bought three "Kent USA " lathes a couple of years ago. They were the typical Chinese stuff sold under bunch of different names. In this case Kent just happened to put their stickers on'em.

They are considered precision lathes, but when any company selling most Chinese machine tools uses the word precision, their idea of precision is that the truck driver takes the same road from the Chinese sweat shop to the sea-port each time.

I wonder if employees of Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowes and on and on should be registering as agents of the Chinese government?
Old 01-14-2008, 10:01 PM

Last photo:

You guys should try Gray tools, if you don't mind paying for quality. Really expensive but I've got a couple of their wrenches I inherited from somewhere and can't believe the quality. Put the Craftsman to shame. I never thought Craftsman were that great anyway, but liked the way you could return them no questions asked.Not sure if the Gray are still the same, but at the price they should be! Anybody bought any Gray tools lately?
Old 11-14-2009, 09:58 PM

Tools trucks going Down the drain?

I think its amazing that Snapon and Mac will charge you $25 for a socket that probably cost about 50 cents to manufacture and you guys pay it. Chances are I can get the tools to you faster than the truck for 1/4 of the price. Check out my tool store @ ########Com

I am boosting up my inventory as fast as i can. I have several hundred new items each week.

Last edited by dinger; 11-14-2009 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Advertising. Please see: commercial posting guidelines.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Post reported spammer banned

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 11-15-2009, 08:28 AM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:

This is a old thread, but though the info would be interesting. When I lived in Colorado Spring I did some work for a company that was a sub to Craftsman tools. Making everything craftsman sells. Guys where making 5-6 bucks an hour in 97.

Craig
Old 11-15-2009, 10:18 PM
rodin better than $** any day

Last photo:

you know my father-in-law and i have had nothing but problems with mac, we have been trying to get 2 rachets warrantied we have called the local tool guy AND mac corp. and still nothing.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.