Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   mac tools, going down the drain (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/mac-tools-going-down-drain-129810.html)

mike's hotrods 12-13-2007 11:56 PM

mac tools, going down the drain

mac is getting worst and worst, half the stuff they will not stand behind which there stuff breaks to much, or at least my mac guy won't stand behind this junk. anyone else experiencing this? snap on has been good to me, proto should start a tool truck franchise, I know proto, and mac are owned by stanly but I heard proto is superior because the government and nasa use proto so they have to meet high standards, is that true?

KULTULZ 12-14-2007 06:45 AM

Quote:

I heard proto is superior because the government and nasa use proto so they have to meet high standards, is that true?
PROTO must meet DOD specifications. If you are having trouble with your tool man, I would contact MAC directly and see what the story is.

61bone 12-14-2007 06:50 AM

Quit buying Mac years ago for that very reason.

4b316 12-14-2007 06:58 AM

Mac,snapon

i have had just the opposite happen.No trouble with Mac but the snapon guy has been crying the blues everytime I try to get a replacement.He says he doesn't want to delete his stock for his regular working guys(I am retired).I have since started driving to another district to get my snapon warranted,no problem.I wrote to snapon with no results but an apology.

oldred 12-14-2007 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4b316
i have had just the opposite happen.No trouble with Mac but the snapon guy has been crying the blues everytime I try to get a replacement.He says he doesn't want to delete his stock for his regular working guys(I am retired).I have since started driving to another district to get my snapon warranted,no problem.I wrote to snapon with no results but an apology.

Just complain to Snap-On about this guy and you will have no more problem!

I hate to hear that about Mac, aways had good stuff in the past and was as good as Snap-On about replacements. :( As far as Stanly owning some of the well known tool outfits, just because they own the other companies does not mean all the tools come from the same factory or that they are the same quality (or lack of), just that they are now independent subsidiaries of one parent company. What really concerns me is even the big names turning more and more to CHINA for their products and even though they claim the tools still have to meet their standards we all know what kind of "tools" :rolleyes: come from China!

Dugg 12-14-2007 08:46 AM

I work part time at a hardware store. Yes Paris, I'm your helpless hardware man.

We recently got in some LED trouble lights and flashlights by Snap-On. But they're cheap chinese crap sold by some import company who paid Snap-On to use the name.

This means Snap on will sell their (once) good name to importers of chinese crap which will improve Snap-On's profits, but will hurt the guys with the tremendous investments in their trucks and inventory.

The Snap-On truck guys are now faced with a greater level of competition, not from the other truck guys, but from their own supplier. I'd get out of the truck tool selling business as fast as I could find a buyer. Ask your local Snap-On or Mac or ?? truck tool salesman where he sees his business in five years.

Why should I buy Snap-on from one of the truck guys when I can now expect to find the Snap-On name at my local hardware store one of these days.

Several years ago, I put a business plan outline together with the intention of approaching Sears to secure the rights to sell franchises for the sale of Craftsman tool truck routes around the country. Now, I wouldn't bother.

Snap-On is turning the business into a whore's market at the expense of the the very people who made them great - the poor soles trying to make a living with their truck tool sales businesses..... at $3.50 a gallon for fuel.

mike's hotrods 12-14-2007 10:57 PM

I was told by my buddys dad that hardware store had snapon lights for cheap, I asked the snap on guy and they know about it. he told me snap on is selling the use of there name for these lights, also these lights say lifetime warrenty, the snap on guy told me if I buy one and have problems with it take it back where I bought it. they truck guys are pissed that snap on is doing this and I think its a bad move on snap ons part. it's like there tipping there feet in the water that mac swims in with the mac "brand" of things like clothing and that crap. but to snap on's defense there tools are still of good quality, mac on the other hand breaks. when I first started buying tools off of the trucks the mac truck was the only one to come to my work, I bought all the basic stuff you would first upgrade from craftsman stuff like ratchets, screwdrivers, pliers, air tools, wrenches and that kind of stuff. I would be getting that **** warrantied as often as I bought stuff, I figure it was cause I used my tools daily. after a while of that and thinking about it I started using my craftsman stuff daily, did not break so I called snap on and started repalcing the mac stuff with that, what a difference all of my ratchets from snap on still haven't broke after about 5 years, I'd strip mac ratchets weekly. take a look at a mac wrench, it looks cheap ,half of them have the name stanmped on them crooked. plus the older ones which are better crack at the center of the open end where it comes to a sharp angle instead of being rounded. the new design was ridded of this problem but now they just spread open, knuckle saver my ***. mac sells a bunch of crap, I remember the jesse james tool boxes. the mac guy convinced me and another dude to buy them saying they were only going to make 500 of them, what crock of ****, those jesse james tools suck, not even mac and they made more like 500000 of them, oh yeah after a while you could buy them for half the price at wal mart. all of that jesse james stuff sucks, he's a big sell out too, can't blame him though he made all his dough while the whole chopper thing was "inn"
to anyone starting out, buy anything other then mac, harbour frieght tools are probably better

1969NovaSS 12-15-2007 08:53 AM

I have never had to replace any of my mac tools. I did the same thing on phasing out my craftsman stuff with better quality stuff because my craftsman ratchets would break on me. I'll admit that I dont use that many mac tools but what I have has lasted my for 3 years so far. I perfer matco because he's a nicer guy to deal with and I get 50% off because I went to school.

onebadmerc 12-15-2007 09:39 AM

I bought Mac body hammers and dollies 15 years ago and have not had one problem with them. I even prefer them over my Snap-On hammers, they seem to be lighter and more balanced.

machine shop tom 12-15-2007 11:26 AM

In case anyone is wondering where to find USA-made tools:

http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/shoppingindex.html

Click on the tools link.

tom

anthonyc1 12-15-2007 01:45 PM

Thats a good site^ . It would be nice to see a big chain of stores all over like that! How about Sprawl Mart maybe having a section of each store dedicated to American made items (yeah that might ever happen).

machine shop tom 12-15-2007 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonyc1
Thats a good site^ . It would be nice to see a big chain of stores all over like that! How about Sprawl Mart maybe having a section of each store dedicated to American made items (yeah that might ever happen).

Yeah, they could have the bearded ladies running that section.

tom

anthonyc1 12-15-2007 04:11 PM

Ha Ha !!! ^

oldred 12-15-2007 06:41 PM

That's a good link and there were some surprises there but under Stanly/Proto watch out because most Stanly branded hand tools are from Taiwan. Also I noticed that under the USA made welders they pointed out that Hobart welders are made in Troy Ohio (Already knew that, they have been there forever) and that they are owned by Illinois Tool Works, so much for that "Miller owns Hobart" BS! :)

chevy7283 12-15-2007 08:15 PM

If you look at it both Miller and Hobart welders are owned by Illinois Tool Works.