Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Is this machine any good??
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 11:23 PM
bentwings

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Well, I picked up the machine and accessories. (Consew 226) The first thing I did was fix the plug. No big deal just loose wires. I did plug it in and cleared everything and just let it turn over slowly. It's quiet and smooth. Nice. I think I can "drive the clutch" pretty easy so I'll leave the speed alone for now.

Now for the trip home. Smart me thinks that the head is easily removable. So I tip it back then see the hinges need something more than just unhitching. Then...oh no oil all over the floor and the pedal. The pan..drip pan??? under the machine is full of oil. There is only a 1/4 inch lip on the end over the pedal and as soon as we lifted the machine oil ran all over the place. Good thing it was in the garage and not my house carpet. I mopped it up the best I could however when I got home my wife saw it and said "You get one, just one drop of that slime on the carpet and you, that machine and that dually are going to be found in the river " (it's in near record flood ) So it's now wrapped in plastic and a couple of old towels. Sure hope it doesn't leak.

So do I just take this out and clean it??? Looks like it needs a taller lip on the left side. I did get a nice stainless steel oil can full of fresh sewing oil so I can oil the machine. I'll get another can of oil tomorrow.

There is an original instruction book. Pretty skimpy. I'd really like a picture of how to thread this machine ( Consew 226) The manual says Consew 225.
There are 3 large spools of thread, both new in packing. There is a full pack of needles 135 x 17 x 17 also marked 8210. There are 10 other loose needles of unknown size. How do I determine what needle sizes are there?? There are about 200 bobbins (Conso disc bobbins) of red and a light tan new in the box size HB 69. There is a box with a couple attachments. They each have a tunnel in them, one about 3/16 dia the other looks to be about 5/16 dia. These look to be new or very slightly used. I'll take pictures tomorrow.

One last question for now. What is the difference between the 225, 226 and the various letter designators????

Thanks