Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Is this machine any good??
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 02:56 AM
bentwings

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'll try and add a few pictures then a couple questions.

Take a look and see if I have the thread loaded properly. I think I missed the large rectangular loop the last time I broke the thread. I managed to lay a few stitches in the end of an old towel. Terrycloth is probably not the best to practice on. It likes to bunch up unless you hold tension on it.

I have tried adjusting the thread tension but so far it seems where I started works the best. I wanted to try the stitch length but I didn't get that far before the leather drive belt broke. It was slipping and broke right at the end of the towel when I tried reverse.

Here are a couple pictures of the attachments. The silver colored one has 5/16 marked on it. The tunnel looks to be about 5/16. The black set has 1/8 marked on the small foot and 1/4 marked on the large foot. What are these for???

Also the small flat plate looks like it might fit on the 2 holes at the bottom right of the head. I don't have a clue what this is for either.

The machine runs pretty quiet and smooth except the leather belt slipped some then finally the link pulled out...rather the hole broke on side.

I'll try and get a standard v-belt in the morning. I'll try and get a 1/4 in belt but the auto parts stores don't usually have these.

I was at the local fabric store to get some sewing machine oil and they didn't have any needles for this. They did have some auto headliner material in the color I want so I think I'll get a yard or 2 and just practice on it.

I got the oil pan cleaned out...what a mess. The 3 heavy legs don't seem to have any wick in them so I think it is a manual oil unless there is another oil pan available. I think I will remake this thing out of stainless ot aluminum.

As I was cleaning out the pan I dropped a needle somewhere and I can't find it .. I'll probably step on it and ram it under a toenail some night or sit on it.

Thanks for all the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2388.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	374.2 KB
ID:	54425   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2389.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	54426   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2390.JPG