Is this machine any good?? - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2011, 02:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty82
Do know that when you go to thread your machine you need to make sure the presser foot is locked in the UP position. That opens those tensioning disks to allow the thread to slip between them while you're threading it. I didn't know that when I first started out and it caused me no end to tensioning problems.

The foot doesn't have to be up to thread the machine, you just need to make sure the thread is seated all the way down in between the tension disks. You can do that without the foot being up with no problem unless your top tension is too tight. If you don't seat the thread all the way down it can screw up the first few stitches until the top thread tightens itself up just from running through the machine. If you hold onto the top thread when you pick up the bottom thread, the top thread should seat itself.

Advertisement

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:01 PM

Last journal entry: The Chevy Bench Seat - Part 52
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

True, Dan - I just find it a lot easier to flip the lever to lock the presser foot up and be done with it. I didn't mean to imply that locking it in the up position was the only way to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2011, 11:06 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

I just did a test of this to imprint my mind on how this tensioner works.

With the presser down it is much harder to pull the thread between the discs. This why I was having trouble getting started.
With the presser up the thread just barely drags, but you can definitely feel it 'drop in'.

As for threading the needle I haven't had a bit of trouble with this. My eyes are much better than my ears. haha
Old 04-18-2011, 06:52 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty82
True, Dan - I just find it a lot easier to flip the lever to lock the presser foot up and be done with it. I didn't mean to imply that locking it in the up position was the only way to do it.
I like to thread the machine with the foot down, then the tension disks hold the thread in place. It doesn't matter, as long as the thread is seated in the tensioner correctly when you're done.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:15 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

I'll give that a try tonight.

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:03 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

Well I got the welt foot for the windlace. My initial test was ok. At least the seam was snug against the curve of the foam rubber.

The stitch per inch however is now about 8 instead of 5 I was getting. Not sure what was wrong. I took the test apart a number of times but the length of the stitch is still the same.

I switched back to the standard foot and made a seam. Well now the problems started. The top thread is far too loose and totally unresponsive to the tensioner. I took the tensioner apart thinking there might be a piece of thread caught in it. Nothing. It actually was very clean with no wear at all.
Then I went back to Dan's threading pictures and rethreaded the whole thing. It really was ok except for the top pin. I keep forgetting to bring the loc-tite home so I can properly position it. I did thread it but it is rotated almost 90 degrees.

Then I went after the bobbin. I installed a new one. I could see the spring down along side the bobbin case but I couldn't get the the thread under it. Finally I managed to get the thread to go around the bobbin case and it slipped under the spring.

What a difference. Now the stitches are back to 5 per inch and nice and tight. the tensioner now adjusts too.

I'll try the windlace welt foot tomorrow too. I think the thread pitch will be much better.

I hope this is the correct way the install the bobbin. It sure works nice now. The instruction book doesn't address this very well.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:04 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Always check the simple things first. When you have a problem, it's almost always something very simple. The thread comes off the left side of the bobbin and goes under the flat tension spring on the bobbin case. If you did that, your bobbin is installed correctly.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.