Is this machine any good?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2011, 09:57 AM
bentwings

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Is this machine any good??

I'm looking at at doing my own interiors as I seem to have been tossed out of the upholstery shops for being too demanding as well as a few unprintable descriptions.

I ran across this machine on the net and it seems like it would be ok for my stuff.

Maybe it's the streetbeast of sewing machines....what do you experts think??
There is a bit higher end one on their site too. I've not seen a used one.

http://www.sailrite.com/Ultrafeed-LS...h-Walking-Foot

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2011, 10:38 AM

Last photo:

What you want is a compound feed walking foot machime such as a Singer 111W155 or Consew 225. Their are tons of clones out their for these machines but this particular machine from Sailrite is not one of them. The compound feed walking foot machine feeds the material 2 ways. It's got the usual feed dogs on the bottom and additionally, the needle itself also pulls the material through. This Sailrite that you are looking for is just a walking foot. Watch this video : Walking Foot
Old 03-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

It would be the Streetbeast of home sewing machines, but it is not even close to an industrial sewing machine.

The biggest drawback to this machine is that it's a portable machine with only a 1/10th hp motor. It needs to be geared down dramatically to come close to the power of an industrial sewing machine. That means it would have to run at about 700RPMs to be comparable in power to an industrial. A normal industrial runs at over 3000 RPMs. The other problem with this machine is that it's foot lift is only 3/8". If you're going to sew pieces of fabric with sew foam together, you'll have a tough time getting two layers of 1/2" sew foam and fabric to go under the foot, much less have it sew the two together. Add to that the fact that it is only drop feed with no needle feed.

It would work fine sewing 3 or 4 layers of fabric together, but it couldn't handle all the things you'd need it to do to sew car interiors.

It is a quality machine, but not for what you want to do with it. I also think it's pretty pricey. You could almost buy a new Tacsew complete with table and motor for what you'd have to give for this one. Their Sailrite 111 would be what you would want, but it's $700 with no motor or table.

Also...........don't fall for their MC-SCR speed controller. That technology (silicon controlled rectifier) is older than the hills and has been completely replaced by servo motors in the industrial sewing machine world.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 03-29-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:24 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

Thanks Dan. It's nice to get good information here from those that know.

I'm just getting ready to tackle the interior of my car as well as a couple or other projects.

I missed a Consew 205 RB last week. A guy that does a lot of lettering and story boards has another that I'm hoping he will let go for a good price.

Also looking at the Tacsew T111-155.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:30 PM

Last photo:

Sailrite would probably tell you that their machine can handle what you want to do - but don't believe them. When I was a "rookie" looking for a machine, I believed all those guys on eBay selling Singer 66's, 15-91's and 201's that said the machine can handle auto interior work. One guy even shows the machine sewing a tin can onto thin leather. Maybe some minor thing - like making a welt, but sewfoam? No way! Been there and found out the hard way what it's all about. Those machines are built like tanks and will last forever. But for the most part, they are curtain and dress makers.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:35 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

Thanks again guys. I love this place.

I'll let you know what happens.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:27 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

Well tomorrow I'm going to go look at something "Consew" He doesn't know anything about it other than it was used in a restoration of a classic car with leather upholstery. It may be close to new as this is all it ever was used for. If it is anything like you guys recommend it will be the steal of my life. Let's hope.

Here is another Consew that competes with the Sailrite I think. What is the opinion of this??

http://singersewingsandiego.com/cocppowafoss.html
Old 04-02-2011, 08:32 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The new Consew 206's like the one in your link are now made in China and would be something to avoid. This is according to what my sewing machine mechanic told me. This one is also a portable, also a reason to avoid. If the Consew you are going to see is a 226R, a 255 of any kind, or an older 206 you will be in luck. If it has reverse it will be a bonus.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:37 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwings
Well tomorrow I'm going to go look at something "Consew" He doesn't know anything about it other than it was used in a restoration of a classic car with leather upholstery. It may be close to new as this is all it ever was used for. If it is anything like you guys recommend it will be the steal of my life. Let's hope.

Here is another Consew that competes with the Sailrite I think. What is the opinion of this??

http://singersewingsandiego.com/cocppowafoss.html
Is this machine compound feed?
Old 04-02-2011, 10:18 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

No, it's just like the Sailrite portable, it only has drop feed.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
No, it's just like the Sailrite portable, it only has drop feed.
Not for what we want
Old 04-02-2011, 12:22 PM

Last photo:

I don't know if I am allowed to post this here and if not I apologize but I am selling my Pfaff 545-H3...........

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 04-02-2011 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Classified ad. Please use the Hotrodders Classifieds for classified ads.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

No, you are not allowed to post an item for sale in the tech forums. There is a classified section that would be the place to put it. Look up at the top of the page and classified is in the menu. I am going to delete your post.

You are right that the Pfaff 545 is a great machine, as are Adler
machines.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:25 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

Ok, I just went and looked at this machine.
It's a Consew 226 on the tag. I didn't see an 'R'. It does have a lever on the right side that wraps around the 'column'. It goes up and down. I think this is the reverse. We couldn't plug it in as the dog chewed the plug off.... leave it to the dog. haha She said she tried it out about a month ago and showed me the sample. Looked ok to me.

I did turn it over and it operates very smoothly. The walking foot and needle move together and the lift lever works both from behind and from a knee lift. Both operate like they are well lubed. Looks like it could use a new belt but it is not cracked or checked. The machine comes with 6 big spools of thread, a number of attchments, a big box of filled bobbins, about a dozen new needles,the original manual, some oil and a few other items.

It has a nice standard sewing machine stand or table that it is mounted in, no chips or scratches or gouges....very smooth. The table has to weigh over a hundred pounds. There is a big motor mounted under the table with a 'treadle??' Looks like a clutch and maybe not a servo motor. I don't know the visual difference. Boy am I dumb. . There is an on/ off switch. I think she will give me a big box of scraps of material including some leathers.

Over all it looks pretty good. If it was a lathe or mill I would be comfortable calling it next to new except for the non use dust for a year. According to her, the husband only used it for one big car job (leather) and several car covers and a large awning. They all looked pretty good to me. He was not an upholster by trade either.

I can't note the cost as I will be banned for just being an outright thief and taking unfair advantage of people. haha

Anyway I think this might be a score...what do you think??
Old 04-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

It has reverse, that's what the lever is for. That will be a perfect machine for you..... run don't walk and pay the lady. I have the same machine, and I use it for 90% of all the sewing I do.

If you can hear the motor running all the time when the switch is turned on, it is a clutch motor. If it has a clutch motor, take some of the money you saved and get a servo, you will be glad you did.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.