Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   machine shop bias... (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/machine-shop-bias-57349.html)

onebadmerc 02-03-2005 10:36 AM

machine shop bias...

Why is it that the only local machine shop where I live is biased to only working on Chevy engines. If you ask them to do work on a Ford, a Dodge or god forbid a AMC they don't want to work on it. All I get is a bunch of BS saying anything but a Chevy is junk, why waste your money on a Ford or etc... I have also noticed this with other machine shops. I have taken parts to Pueblo and Colorado Springs which are 40 miles away and get the same kind of bias. I have found this kind of bias at about 9 out of 10 machine shops I have been to. Why is it that most machine shops are Chevy biased? I am not rude to these machinist or have a attitude and I don't tell them how to do their job. So why are they this way, don't they like to make money or are they so biased that working on anything but a Chevy is below them. I just don't understand why most of these places I have been to are so biased to just working on Chevy Engines. I also didn't write this to start a flame war, I am sure there are other people on this board who drive other makes than Chevy's who have run into this bias, so what gives?

BTW: I eventualy have found one shop who doesn't mind working on other makes besides Chevy's.

willys36@aol.com 02-03-2005 10:41 AM

You can get your answer just walking through a rod run. Probably 90% of them run Chevy engines. The machine shops can stay over 100% busy specializing on them so why go to the trouble of stocking tools and parts for other engines? There is always a good full service machine shop that toes quality work on anything brought to them. Ask around to serious hot rodders in your town and that shop will rise to the surface.

onebadmerc 02-03-2005 10:47 AM

There is just one machine shop in the nearby town , I quit going to them years ago because I didn't like the BS. I drive 40 miles to Colorado Springs to have my work done now. I even once took my heads to Denver which is 100 miles because they specialized on Fords. I guess if I build a Chevy the local machine shop would be the place for me to go.

BOBCRMAN@aol.com 02-03-2005 10:49 AM

Evidently they are rich and only in the business for fun!! In the real world machine shops have to work on just about anything that comes thru the door. Just to keep them open.. Maybe you are a little too sensitive about some ribbing !

I always tease the Ford guys about dumping all that money in their motors. Always call Olds engines Olds-mo-piles just to tease a few Olds fanatics. But then the Chevy guys hear "Hell it's just an old Shiver-lay".. Buicks are "BU-hogs".. Internationals are "Binders" etc.

I own (or have owned) at least one of each. All have good points and bad. One of our best customers was a Hundae/Honda guy!!

onebadmerc 02-03-2005 10:56 AM

I don't know if the local machine shop owers are rich, but they both work full time jobs for the city and are only open form 4pm to 5 pm M-F and Sat 9-12. I don't think I am all that sensitive when somebody tells you that your Ford is a POS and they don't want to do any machine work on it. I can understand joking around, but some of these places I have been to are just plain rude and insulting. Maybe they are only tooled up to work on Chevy's.

BOBCRMAN@aol.com 02-03-2005 11:00 AM

Thats not a machine shop, it's a Hobby!!! a toy shop for the owners!

stepside454 02-03-2005 11:08 AM

I take my stuff 40 miles..& its Chevy stuff...I found a guy I like & can trust... there are a couple dozen shops closer, but I wont take anything to em.

k-star 02-03-2005 11:18 AM

shops

Bring it to me.. L.O.L. I do chevy ,ford, mopar, and mg's plus anything else that comes in the door....

I found out a long time ago that i never make fun of what brand of parts i am being asked to work on. After you get to know someone and you know they cane take some good fun then i will carry on some... I have had ford/mopar guys in my shop at the same time carrying on with each other but we know that there is a respect for all brands in my shop..... I think it's just good business practice, unless you really don't want the work......

Keith

NorthStar 02-03-2005 11:23 AM

Count yourself lucky that theyre so honest to tell you they think your engine is a piece of crap.

Just imagine the kind of job they would be doing on your stuff.

Keep looking till you find someone you can trust.

willys36@aol.com 02-03-2005 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by stepside454
I take my stuff 40 miles..& its Chevy stuff...I found a guy I like & can trust... there are a couple dozen shops closer, but I wont take anything to em.
Exactly. NO ONE touches my engine work except me and Larry @ Southern Auto.

stepside454 02-03-2005 11:57 AM

Like greg said. would you rather they worked on it, & treated it like crap ?

johnsongrass1 02-03-2005 12:17 PM

We have three shops here, one is a A-hole, one is a thief (proved) the other won't build anything your way. It sucks bad. I drive forty miles out and sometimes further to get customer service. 1st machine shop is so rude I dropped off a GM block and all I wanted was 9" deck. He asked me if I wanted a 9 and 10? What's that? I asked. He looked at me and said Boy, I'm 28 BTW, You don't even know what the ___(insert four letter word of your choice) you want do ya? I had to get a little mouthy for that comment . I told him I didn't understand he terminology or abbrieviations. He goes on to explain in very sarcastic terms he means 9.010. You shouldn't fault someone for not follwing your context. Anyway, I said no, I want a 9.0 even. He say's, I can do it, but if you ever blow a head gasket it's a wasted block!. I thought what the heck are you talking about!. I knew he meant fire slotting the block but I've never seen that while rebuilding near stock engines. I left it for him anyway because I am in a hurry to get it back. I received it at 9.005.

Shop number two: Stole one of a set of 462 from a close friend. Hoping to sell them and get others in before we noticed. That's why I always stamp my stuff with a special stamp I made with my racing logo on it.

Shop number three: Won't build anything to anyones spec but he own. It's either his way or he'll ask you to not come back. Irritated me too. I know what I want, I know I can make more power than him but he flat refuses to listen ot reason. Never been t him agian.

Now I send my small stuff to one shop 40 miles away and everything else to Hendrens racing engines.

stepside454 02-03-2005 12:30 PM

Johnson, we have a place real close to me that has all 3 reputations you just mentioned. Supposedly does grat work for you if your in there "click".
But Ive also heard he'll treat you like a jerk, hes personally tried to talk me into stuff I didnt want & knew better, he has a bad rep for selling you top dollar name brand stuff, but you get white box china crap...or a buddy of mine took his 406 there for a freshenup/checkout. after a 1/2 season he head to pull it apart, it didnt have his stuff in it , he wondered why power was down.

johnsongrass1 02-03-2005 12:36 PM

Something about the trade makes people mean.

Maybe it's mostly unskilled labor.

It like salvage yard owner's. Most of those I hate as well.

stepside454 02-03-2005 12:38 PM

it truely has gotten tougher to find a good machine shop, frankley, theres not alot of money in it for most, unless your shop already has a proven reputation.