Hot Rod Forum banner

Machine Shop who'll roll rear pan

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Scotto 
#1 ·
Howdy,

Can anyone make a recommendation of a machine shop that can roll a rear pan that's 60 inches wide? I'm in Maine and the best anyone can do around here is to make two that are 30 inches wide then I have to weld them together.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Dan

#3 ·
If you have to start welding sections together to make your pan or you can't find a shop nearby that will do it, you might want to consider rolling your own. I've done two now using very crude tools, primarily just a length of 3" PVC to bend the metal around. And take my word for it, I'm just a glorified novice when it comes to metal work. I figure if I can do it, probably 90% of the folks on this site can do it. And it really doesn't cost you all that much money to give it a whirl. Worst case, you mangle up chunk of sheet metal. Best case...you rolled your own pan. So I really encourage you to try your hand at it.

Here's the basic "tools" I used to roll the pans:

Here's the pan I rolled for my Roadster using PVC pipe:

And a shot of it during fabrication:

And how it looks finished:

Here is a shot of the rolled pan I did for the pickup bed on my sedan delivery:

And a shot of it in primer.

You can see the step by step details of how I did the roadster pan in my journal starting here beginning at entry 96. And you can see how I rolled the pan for my pickup bed starting here beginning at entry 171.

#6 ·
Kevin45 said:
CBoy...your fab skills never cease to amaze me. That bed looks Primo
Thanks Kevin, but I think of it much more as fabrication ignorance rather than fabrication skill. Nobody ever took me aside and explained the things I wasn't supposed to be able to do with metal. So I just stumble forward with the banging and bending until it looks half way decent. (Oh, and you'll notice I never post pictures of my "mistake pile". BIG pile.)

#7 ·
cboy said:
Thanks Kevin, but I think of it much more as fabrication ignorance rather than fabrication skill. Nobody ever took me aside and explained the things I wasn't supposed to be able to do with metal. So I just stumble forward with the banging and bending until it looks half way decent. (Oh, and you'll notice I never post pictures of my "mistake pile". BIG pile.)
You're much to hard on yourself Dewey. I've seen your scrap pile, it's not that big...

In a while, Chet.

#8 ·
cboy, those rollpans came out beautifully. And like others said here, just give it a shot with things you can find in the garage. I had to do some small tubs for my truck, so I used a small sheet of 18 ga and rolled it longer than I needed over a spare wheel that was outside of my garage. I also use a cap from a spare welding gas tank for my shaping hammer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.