Machine shop woes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2007, 09:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Machine shop woes

Hello

Last September I took a block into a local machine shop. The block had a crack in the cylinder so I asked the shop to sleeve it, bore the cylinders, cut the crank, and install new pistons on the rods so I could assemble the rest myself. This block is only meant to be a backup dirt oval track motor so Im not too attached to it. Since then I have stopped in nine times and called over ten times. Finally, the first week in march I stopped in again and stressed to the shop owner I needed this block back by the end of the month and was assured it would be finished the next week. So I waited, I called the next week on Friday and it still wasn't ready. Shop owner asked for my phone number and said he would call as soon as it was done. Again I stressed an end of march deadline. No calls, no nothing, was never rude or any more demanding then I should be at this point(race season starts here in 3 weeks)

So here I am, I have acquired another block and have a different machine shop stating a 2 week turnaround with about a thousand dollar bill for torque plate bore, hone, align hone mains, zero deck and square, cut crank, etc etc, all the little goodies...this is machine work only, no parts. Fine with that.

What should I do about the other block and machine shop? Im very irritated at this time and don't want to make a wrong move with this guy. Should I walk in and tell him to load up my block and pay him for what he HAS done or just tell him to stick it or what? Never had this problem before, but also have never dealt with this shop before either. At this point the block is no loss to me.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2007, 10:06 PM

Last photo:

Wow, it sounds like you have been very reasonable over the situation. If it was me I would cut my losses and leave the block with them and never deal with them again.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:07 PM

I would pay him for what he has done and get the block and leave,but would also let him know you will not be recommending anyone to him for work.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:30 PM

Last photo:

If I go get the block and he has already done the sleeve work and boring do I grab a bore guage to bring along and check his work right there on the spot...Im worried at this point he might just be sloppy as well, but that is another whole can of worms. I should have just made this a poll, (stick it) or (pay the man)....at least I feel better now after venting my dilemma. Maybe Ill be able to keep calm when I go in the end of the week.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:49 AM

Yes, I would check out his work and if ity is not right then I think I would not pay him because he did not do the job right, but if it is right then I think you have no other option then to pay him. But either way I would let him know that you will not send anyone to him for work.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:48 AM

Last photo:

You say this old Block has No real Value to you,..??.......

If it was Me,......... I'd just Forget About It..........

If,+ When the Shop calls to tell you it's Done,..........

Tell them you Meant that you Needed it Then,.... but Not Now......
And then tell 'um to just Keep It.........
Old 04-10-2007, 07:52 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

I would go and pick the block up. If it is done, pay the bill and let the guy know that you will tell others about his "timely" service (get your stuff first).

If it is not done yet, pick it up and save it for another need. Don't let him have it, that would be rewarding him for his, well, whatever.........

It sounds like he is unsure about sleeving it.

tom
Old 04-10-2007, 08:31 PM

Last photo:

I went to the machine shop asking for his opinion on whether the block was salvageable. The machinist suggested sleeveing the block and assured me it would be fine. I spent an hour talking to him about the work he was to do. He also explained to me how he would repair the cylinder and the steps it would take. So, I would think there should be no reason for him to be unsure about anything I wanted done or anything he needed to do to get this block out the door. As a matter of fact, the fourth time I stopped in his shop I pulled out my checkbook and offered to write a check for the work up front and pay any remaining balance for any unforseen work he might need to do when I picked up the block. He told me there was no need to do that, and I could just pay it all when it was finished. This was a ploy on my part to light a fire under him to get the work done that got me nowhere with him either.

I will admit, this machine shop does a lot of work for farmers, and I did take the block in right during the beginning of harvest. So I did not expect the block back in a short amount of time. I did expect it back in a reasonable amount of time, which has long since past.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:54 PM

Last photo:

It sounds like the machine shop guy needs to spend a Saturday in the shop if needed to get your work done... Obviously he doesn't need your work, your money, or your recomendations-but he shouldn't have made the promise to get the job done if he can't. Stupid business sense all around for sure.

The best thing to do now is to confront him with your situation, straight and honest. Explain that you dropped this stuff off last September making it well known that you needed the parts done and back. Explain that you've checked numerous times to see if they were done. And also let him know now that you've realized it wasn't going to happen so you had to buy another engine and find another machine shop. Now find out what stage the machining is in now and decide if you want to work it out with the guy or just take the parts and go. You can get the law involved, better business bureau, or a lawyer if needed. Bottom line is he didn't deliver, did he give you a written estimate? Bob
Old 04-10-2007, 09:12 PM

Last photo:

Written estimate.......no. Price range of $5-600, verbal, with two of my buddies standing there when he quoted the price.

That was the kind of advice I was looking for baddbob. thx. Not sure i want to get the law or better business bureau involved. I would think I could settle it myself if I stay level headed but some good ideas where to turn if all else fails.

Thanks again

Mike
Old 04-10-2007, 09:23 PM
I put up the tools against$300

Last photo:

Not a whole lot the law or a lawyer can do. I have had a rather unpleasant experience with a machine shop myself with poor work and over charging for what they did. In my case the machine shop agreed to do what it would take to make me happy, but I have yet to get the block and crank back and its been several months. I say voice your concerns firmly, give him a short deadline, if it's not done load up YOUR block and beat feet. Unless there is a contract there is not much either of you can do. I've learned to always ask for a date by which the work will be completed (in writing). I know its hind sight but at least you'll have a fair expectation of when to expect your stuff back. Yes you can sue anyone for anything but the court must look at the four corners of your written agreement. What both parties agree to on the front end is going to be what carries the most weight on the back end. The "law", and I guess he means the "fuzz", is going to tell you its a civil matter.

I arrested a prostitute the other day and asked her if she'd ever been picked up by the fuzz before. She said "no, but I've been yanked around by the titties"

Last edited by DaSouthWon; 04-10-2007 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:46 AM

Last photo:

I'd say if it's still not done.... Don't demand he get it done just load it up and take it. demanding stuff will get you nowhere.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:24 AM

Last photo:

My suggestion would be to go to the machine shop, ask for your parts back and any bill that has been accumulated so far. If their is a bill verify what has been done to what has been charged. If it matches up, pay the bill and take your stuff home.

I'm not justifying the owners actions by any means - I'd be ticked too, BUT - I have found out that dropping stuff off and saying you don't need it right away is like a free pass to most people for filler work and they don't get around to it. Now the same guy if you call him up and say "man I lost an engine and I need something in 3 days" might just work all night to get you what you need and help you out. I've had more then one person put me off, but when I was in a pinch they went above and beyond and delivered good quality too.

If the guy does good work and is a decent person I wouldn't go in guns-blazing - just tell him you're there to get your stuff and you are disappointed that he couldn't get it done in the time you gave him. Odds are he'll apologize and knock some off the bill (if their is one) or offer to get it to you by the end of the week ready to go. If he doesn't offer anything then you have your answer too - just don't take any work back to him and let your buddies know. Just my opinion.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:00 AM

Last photo:

I concur Koolaid
Old 04-11-2007, 12:43 PM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolaid
My suggestion would be to go to the machine shop, ask for your parts back and any bill that has been accumulated so far. If their is a bill verify what has been done to what has been charged. If it matches up, pay the bill and take your stuff home.

I'm not justifying the owners actions by any means - I'd be ticked too, BUT - I have found out that dropping stuff off and saying you don't need it right away is like a free pass to most people for filler work and they don't get around to it. Now the same guy if you call him up and say "man I lost an engine and I need something in 3 days" might just work all night to get you what you need and help you out. I've had more then one person put me off, but when I was in a pinch they went above and beyond and delivered good quality too.

If the guy does good work and is a decent person I wouldn't go in guns-blazing - just tell him you're there to get your stuff and you are disappointed that he couldn't get it done in the time you gave him. Odds are he'll apologize and knock some off the bill (if their is one) or offer to get it to you by the end of the week ready to go. If he doesn't offer anything then you have your answer too - just don't take any work back to him and let your buddies know. Just my opinion.
This is good advice. This is what I would do also.

I never tell anybody I am not in a hurry to get my parts back. They just take there good ole time and then stuff gets lost, stolen or sold to someone that needs it now. I always tell them I need it ASAP like tommorrow, And keep on them almost everyday. The wheel that squeeks gets the grease.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.