Machining press fit for spirolox - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008, 09:59 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Machining press fit for spirolox

I have a new (5 years ago) set of press fit forged speed pro pistons I don't want to spend $500+ to replace, but I just bought a set of Scat H-beam rods to go with my 4340 Eagle crank. Not that I'm going to have the nards to wind this thing to 7500+ at 20 psi, but it'd be nice to know it's there for climbing the hills around here. As they are, the pins are .080" shorter than the pin bore. What determines if there's enough meat here to machine these pistons for retainers. How much of the pin boss does the pin need to be in contact with. These are on a 454, 7.8:1, turbocharged. I have a set of 4.155" JE's. Looking at them, I'm going to need to take .1875" off the 454 pins to clear the locks. This will leave 1.422" of pin in contact with the pin bores.

Thanks,
Kevin

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2008, 05:50 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

pistons

I assume that you are going to do the machine work yourself..

I wouldn't want any less the .100" of a land and the end of the piston for the retainer to push against.

You should be able to get the correct length pin to compensate for the retainers. IMO i would buy the pins first, then machine the grooves for the locks. You can't just place those grooves anyplace. There is a close tolerance on the distance between them. If you get to much clearence between the pin and retainers , the pins will beat the crap out of them..

All-in-all it's going to be a project. You might want to really think about sending the rods back and getting pressed fit rods....

This will probably turn into a pissing match but, the only thing a floating rod gets you is the ability to swap pistons with-out pressing them off. There is no performance or strength advantage.

Keith
Old 07-02-2008, 07:06 AM

Last photo:

I'll be doing the work myself if I can't find someone to do it for a reasonable price. I really wanted H-beam rods and I haven't found any press fit ones. As far as performance gain with floating, it looks like you sacrifice piston strength to gain rod strength and reduce friction.

Kevin
Old 07-02-2008, 08:03 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA67_72
I'll be doing the work myself if I can't find someone to do it for a reasonable price. I really wanted H-beam rods and I haven't found any press fit ones. As far as performance gain with floating, it looks like you sacrifice piston strength to gain rod strength and reduce friction.

Kevin
There's really no piston strength loss. Have you thought about sending the pistons to have the grooves cut & ordering the correct pins? I don't believe anyone makes H-beam rods that are press fit. You can get some nice I-Beams that are press fit tho'. Such as Scat's 2IIRC, they come in press or bushed floating, forged 4340 with 3/8" or 7/16" Cap Screws and stroker clearanced.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:55 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA67_72

Kevin

How were you planning (on what type of machine) on machining them if you do it your self???

I can tell you in my shop it's $50.00 per piston to do the job. If a person would charge much less for that job with all that is involved in doing it correct he would be loosing money IMO.

Keith
Old 07-02-2008, 10:11 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

Here is a guide for installing snap rings and spiral locks. It will show the edge margin you need for snap rings. It a pain to put these grooves in if they aren't in the pistons. I've done it in a lathes with a home made fixture.

Go to rings then to spriral and there is a pdf on specs and installation.

You may have to delete the # sign if you have trouble with the link.

http://www.tfc.eu.com/#

Here is Spiralox site

http://www.spirolox.com/

Last edited by bentwings; 07-02-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:24 AM

Last photo:

K-star I'm sure there is a lot of setup time involved in that type of process whether using a boring machine or a lathe. Sounds like he may need to sell those pistons and buy new ones if he's set on floating pins.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:34 AM

Last photo:

I'll call around here, but $400 is more than the pistons are worth to me. If I can't figure out how to do it myself, I'll save these for a lesser project and buy new ones. I have a standard bore 454 in the shed, but like everything else around here it'll end up turbocharged too. I was planning on using my Bridgeport. What type of cutter do you recommend? I was thinking about a keyseat cutter. I have a trashcan full of pistons I melt down for castings. I'll try it on them first.

Kevin
Old 07-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

pistons

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSedan64
K-star I'm sure there is a lot of setup time involved in that type of process whether using a boring machine or a lathe. Sounds like he may need to sell those pistons and buy new ones if he's set on floating pins.
Yep you’re right, pain in the butt to get set up. Then there is the problem where you have to be 100% correct with every piston, there are no DO-OVERS. If you make a mistake the piston is scrap. You need a tool the correct width and it needs to be small enough to fit into the pin bore, there not growing on trees.

They almost need done on a lathe, or other suitable machine that can spin the piston. If you do them on a mill you have a big problem with how your going to get the tool in the pin bore, and then feed it out while the spindle is running. There is a very expensive boring head that will feed out while the spindle is running, even if you had one you stand a really chance of blowing the outside diameter of the groove oversize because they have no positive stop. You could put the spindle in neutral, turn it by hand and manually feed the boring bar out .001” at a time. You can see where that would get you in a hurry…

A lathe is nice because you can easy make a mandrel that fits the pin bore, locate the piston from that. But your still left with figuring out how to clamp the piston. It’s not that hard but still needs some engineering.

So now you have the piston all chucked up and ready to machine…How are we going to check the finished OD of the groove????, Need another expensive tool…How about the finished width??? The pin bore is way too small to get gage blocks in, Need another expensive tool…..

Let’s say we have all those issues covered. The big issue that’s left is locating the grooves in each end in the exact correct position with each other (not the end of the piston), and centered in the piston.

All-in-all not a do-it your self job if you want it done correct. IMO
Old 07-02-2008, 12:47 PM

Last photo:

What about one of these grooving tools:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/114/2472

Kevin
Old 07-02-2008, 01:23 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

I've done this on a Bridgeport also. I used a rotary table and a boring tool. Just make the tool the groove width, set the dia of cut such that the tool will go into the Piston pin hole with the spindle on and dial the axis off untill you touch off on the bore of the piston . You just dial the table around and off set the the axis as much as the depth of the groove. Another PIA set up but if you don't have to pay anyone but yourself it's acceptable. Figure about 3 hours set up and machining time at least if you have the tooling around. You are going to need a vice to hole the piston. There is a hotrod piston vise available if you look around. Speedway I think.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.