Hot Rod Forum banner

Machining V-Groove Pulleys - Is it Ok?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  techinspector1 
#1 ·
is it acceptable to put steel V-groove crankshaft and water pump pulleys on a lathe and cut the V-groove deeper in an effort to allow the belt to sit deeper so it is less likely to fly off? I'm thinking of doing it unless you guys say it's a bad idea. I'm talking about standard V-groove pulleys not "deep" V-groove pulleys.

thanks

Lee

#2 ·
Most likely there's not enough material available to allow the pulley to be machined deeper, at least not more than a few thousands. Actually, doing so would more than likely create a nasty safety problem. The last thing you want to happen is to have a pulley fly apart while you're setting timing.
I've never seen a belt tossing prblem that couldn't be fixed by simply doing a correct job of aligning the pullies and making sure the bracketry was not flexing.

#3 ·
Posted by tdkkart:
"I've never seen a belt tossing problem that couldn't be fixed by simply doing a correct job of aligning the pullies and making sure the bracketry was not flexing."

Exactly right. Use the edge of a steel straight-edge and lay it on the pulley faces. You'll find out pretty quickly where the troublemaker is. And make sure everything is mounted securely like tdkkart said. No flexing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.