Hot Rod Forum banner

MAD Electrical

34K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  JohnNGa 
#1 ·
Hey guys

This is my first post. Yes, I know I should do an introduction and I am working on that now aswell. :)

Anyway I was wondering if anyone here knew how to get in touch with the guys at MAD Electrical. I know they have a phone number listed on their webpage but unfortunately I live in Australia and would prefer to email them than ring for obvious reasons.
Any help would be most welcome.

cheers

James

#3 ·
I last ordered from him about a year and a half ago. Did not have a problem getting through to him on the phone. The last number I have for him is 559-539-7128. I was told he was fighting some health issues a while back ago. However I know people have ordered from him as of July 06, so even though his website is not updated, he has been doing business after the last update. He only takes orders over the phone or via snail-mail. Last address I have is PO Box 675, Springville, CA 93265-0675.

#7 ·
jimmmy said:
Hey guys

I am after some of his terminal blocks as similar items seem very very hard to find.

cheers

James
Heh James,
As mentioned , Mark the owner of MAD Electrical has had some health issues and does not always answer the phone. If your speaking about the Junction blocks he shows on his site, that is, a main connection point for wireing, then you can also find them on Summit Racing's web site.

Summit also has terminal strips etc for wireing. I have my self read everthing on MAD's site and done the Relay headlight conversion as well as a few oter things.

Great site.

#8 ·
Hey mate

thankyou for the reply.

I have looked at summit but I cannot seem to find those terminal blocks? I see the terminal strips.
Yes I have heard about the health issues and am not keen on ringing anyway as I think it would be quite expensive. I was wondering if he had an email address.

cheers

James

#9 ·
jimmmy said:
Hey mate

thankyou for the reply.

I have looked at summit but I cannot seem to find those terminal blocks? I see the terminal strips.
Yes I have heard about the health issues and am not keen on ringing anyway as I think it would be quite expensive. I was wondering if he had an email address.

cheers

James
I'll see if I can find it for you James and post a link.. Back in a few....

#10 ·
Heh James...

It looks like what I bought back in 2005 from Summit Racing was made by Painless Wireing. Part # PRF 801-12. It looks like the one on MAD's site but slightly different.

Summit and Jegs no longer sell it. I just went to painless's site and the search came up empty. Here's the Toll free number for Painless 1-800-423-9696. Give them a call and see if they still make it.

If not then were back to square 1. I need to buy a few more myself. I'm sure there's others out there that make them.

Keep me posted ..

Regards: Mark

#11 ·
hey mate

I am chasing up a guy locally who makes junction studs which are simply a bit of insulated thermo plastic with a central stud which can be 1/2, 5/16, 3/8 or 1/4. It just has two mounting studs either side of the central stud. Very small and neat but does not have the little cable organiser things that the MAD ones do.

I also had a look at the local hardware store and found something that make work. I will try and find a pic but it is simply a triangular piece of plastic with a central stud and you can chose 1/4, 5/16, 3/8 and 1/2 sizes. Very small and neat and will do exactly the same thing. $3 each aswell.

cheers

James

#12 ·
I haven't had any luck contacting Mark Hamilton for quite sometime. His site was down for a while and was glad I saved his Tech Info for reference. But his site was back up a short time later. Who knows? I gave up on trying to purchase from him. I miss talking to him, he is very knowledgeable and very willing to help you. I hope he is o.k.

I have found a great supplier though. Their power distribution blocks are not the same as the blocks Mark furnished, but they work quite well. They have everything one might need to wire the old hot rod or your family rig. Good stuff, great prices and service.Del City
They will mail you a free catalog, I think you will like it.

Good Luck to all.......

#13 ·
greybeard said:
I haven't had any luck contacting Mark Hamilton for quite sometime. His site was down for a while and was glad I saved his Tech Info for reference. But his site was back up a short time later. Who knows? I gave up on trying to purchase from him. I miss talking to him, he is very knowledgeable and very willing to help you. I hope he is o.k.

I have found a great supplier though. Their power distribution blocks are not the same as the blocks Mark furnished, but they work quite well. They have everything one might need to wire the old hot rod or your family rig. Good stuff, great prices and service.Del City
They will mail you a free catalog, I think you will like it.

Good Luck to all.......
Thanks, I book marked the site. :thumbup:

#14 ·
Terminal Update

Ok,
I called Painless and they said they don't make it any longer ...but they did steer me to Jeg's . They have one just like painless's but it also has a protective cap. Here's the link...

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_346774_-1

If the link does not work ..the Jegs part # is 555-10521. Also GM make one you can order # GM 3996270.

Enjoy..
Mark

Attachments

#15 ·
jimmmy said:
hey mate

I am chasing up a guy locally who makes junction studs which are simply a bit of insulated thermo plastic with a central stud which can be 1/2, 5/16, 3/8 or 1/4. It just has two mounting studs either side of the central stud. Very small and neat but does not have the little cable organiser things that the MAD ones do.

I also had a look at the local hardware store and found something that make work. I will try and find a pic but it is simply a triangular piece of plastic with a central stud and you can chose 1/4, 5/16, 3/8 and 1/2 sizes. Very small and neat and will do exactly the same thing. $3 each aswell.

cheers

James

Doc here, :pimp:

Is this what you seek?

Any Auto parts store, a few bucks.

Doc

#17 ·
jimmmy said:
Hmmm ok

Well it might be an aussie thing but have not seen anything like that here.
Any parts stores you can think of that stock it?
I have found some places that do junction studs at like $25 which is a little pricey.

cheers

James

Heh Jimmy,

Are you missing my Post's....????? I posted the # GM 3996270 part Number.
You should be able to order it from a GM dealership. It's the same as the Jeg's unit less the cap.

Here's one on ebay..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-...emQQcategoryZ80735QQihZ016QQitemZ260131978620

And another..
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm
Put the GM number in when you get to the GM Site Above

I know the Auto Parts Stores around here don't carry them.

Good luck on your quest.. :thumbup:

#18 ·
Hey mate

did not notice your post. Sorry about that.

I have tried contacting both and the ebay guy replied. Sounds like a tool :)

Anyway, will see how the GM guys are. Price is ok and if shipping is not a killer I think I will grab a few of them.

cheers

James

#20 ·
The last time anyone talked to Mark Hamilton?

I have been trying to call MAD Electrical to place an order, with no luck. The phone just rings, no answering machine or anything. I was wondering if anyone has an update on Mark's health, is he still in business, whatever. Any info would be helpful.
Thanks, John

#21 ·
Mad Electrical...

Mark at Mad Electrical is a mystery...... at times I have had good luck contacting him. Once you get him on the phone it is difficult to terminate the conversation. Then there are periods of time when you cannot make contact with him.
If you can connect with him it is pure pleasure, you won't believe the amount of knowledge he has and is willing to share. I have tried without success for 3 years to contact Mark but have not given up hope of making contact.
I pray that Mark is o.k. and just being a recluse up in the hills of California. Not a bad thing I guess.
I have saved some of his published knowledge just in case his website ever disappears.
Contact me if you want to know more....
Best Regards, Sully (greybeard)

#22 ·
hey mate

thanx for the reply

I have since found another source on ebay for a similiar style of junction stud.

However I am still looking at options for the electrical system.

If you have any contact details for him then I would be most appreciative to have them

cheers

James

#23 ·
I have just this morning tried to contact Mark by email and await a reply. I will try again by telephone later today and if not successful will try a snail mail.
When and if there is any reply I will post that info here in this forum. I will just have to wait and see.

In the meantime his website is still there (as of 08:00 this date). There is a wealth of information there!

Hope to be able to post a positive report.

#24 ·
Dont give up...

Thanks Sully!
It would be a shame to loose such a valuable resource. And he has parts listed that are hard to find anywhere else. Just try to buy a small quanity of 8Ga cross linked wire. Does any one know of a source? Most places sell min. quanities of 100 ft of any gauge, and have NO 8Ga.
And I would like to have his book, Tech Made Simple, if it is anything like the info on his website, it will not only tell you the best or correct way to wire, but explain why.
We await his response...

#25 · (Edited)
JohnNGa said:
Thanks Sully!
It would be a shame to loose such a valuable resource. And he has parts listed that are hard to find anywhere else. Just try to buy a small quanity of 8Ga cross linked wire. Does any one know of a source? QUOTE]

Have you tried McMaster Carr?

Or Jmproducts

Vince

#26 ·
My email of yesterday to Mark at Mad Electrical has bounced..... I will try some other method of contacting him and will keep this post updated if I hear anything.

I think it would be prudent to find other sources if one is in need of supplies though. Since I haven't been able to contact him, my source for auto electric supplies has been Del City
I have been happy with their products and service. Also a very nice free catalog! I just miss talking to Mark, it was like talking to your old hot rod buddy who just happened to know what the heck he was talking about!

Best Regards, Sully

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.