made in china? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2004, 08:04 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

made in china?

well i got a new stock water pump from napa for my 67 olds, i think was made by airtex. my old one is at least 20 years old.

the housing for the "new one" looks like a peice crap compared to the old one. Maybe the guts are better quality than housing.

I wonder what cost would be to rebuild my "old" water pump?
Does anybody do that?

I also got a new thermastat housing, the workmanship on it looked poor also and have a BIG Made in China stamped on it.

What the heck ? Dont really want Made in China sitting on my manifold. yeck.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2004, 08:42 AM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

if its made in china then your doing one of 2 times wrong... either ur not buying ur stuff at a name brand store (& don't say auto zone) OR ur not asking for a NAME BRAND parts....joe
Old 07-21-2004, 09:27 AM

Unhappy

Isnt Napa good enough?
Old 07-21-2004, 10:06 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Exclamation

If they are sourcing CHICOM, I would say no. Find an AC DELCO dealer.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:40 AM

made in china

sorry guys but almost everything is out sourced these days. check where your shoes were made. try to find a car made in the usa!!! saturn no they are even outsourced mostly mexico and canada. must everything you will buy this dday in age is made in china, hate to say it but its true they can make stuff so cheap and send it here and be cheaper than our own stuff is sad to me. but then no-body here wants to work for $1 an hr so i belive we are just gonna get worse. and there quality will get worse also.

IT SUCKS BUT ITS TRUE
Jesse
Old 07-21-2004, 10:50 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:

I take a liitle offense when you speak of Canada in those terms............................................. .................................................. ......................................"Made in Canada" has always meant quality.

Canada and the US has had the "Auto Pact" since 1965, whereas the cars are built by the same unions with similar wages and benefits for the workers. No "sweatshops" or child labour here.

Don't confuse "Auto Pact" with "Auto-Part"..................I can hear the comparisons coming now.

Budget RVs
Old 07-21-2004, 02:25 PM
Move It On Over!

Last photo:

Here's something even worse - the Made In China stuff we get in the USA is the "high quality" stuff. Other countries get the real bad stuff made in China. Been to Central Asia a couple times and their top-of-the-line Made In China products almost compare to what you find at the local Dollar Store in the states...
Old 07-21-2004, 02:35 PM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD

Quote:
Originally posted by dbuff
Isnt Napa good enough?

sure it is, BUT did ya ask for name brand parts....joe
Old 07-21-2004, 07:40 PM
Last photo:

The Honda Goldwing is made in the USA. It actually has more USA produced parts in it that the highly touted Harley Davidson.

Vince
Old 07-21-2004, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 302/Z28
The Honda Goldwing is made in the USA. It actually has more USA produced parts in it that the highly touted Harley Davidson.

Vince
The most popular motorcycle made in the USA!

Let's face it guys made in the USA means squat today, it kills me when big car companies say BUT USA! then you see not one electrical component was made here, the iron is not from the USA and as said most are made in Mexico and Canada, no I am not knocking Canada just saying if GM and Ford are going to say keep your money here then for me to buy into that I think they should. Then I hear the Dodge boys yelling about buy American and they are not even and American company.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:59 AM
High Octane

Last photo:

We manufacture portable sawmills here is Alabama, and when you have the government (our servants) that send out OSHA, EPA, IRS, etc. (there are at least 8 other agencies) with the sole purpose of extracting money from businesses ultimately you are going to have business owners who are tired of the headache.

When you can hire people in China for nearly nothing, and you don't have to worry about them suing you, EPA fining you for your paint booth, OSHA fining you for having broken ground prongs on your power tools and the IRS using you as a collection agency and fining you if you aren't collecting correctly for them it makes you want to look outside this country to have your products made.

More people need to try and run a business just to see the crap you have to run through to be in business this day and time.

This will only change when the government stops putting their thumb on the head of the business owners in this country, and start taxing all these imported parts we have coming in and so on.

The only thing completely made in the U.S.A today are babies. And that's only because we couldn't import the parts
Old 07-22-2004, 09:36 AM

1. FYI - I checked Napa on-line and bought the most expensive new waterpump they had for my application. I didnt know what brand to ask for - what is your suggestion?

2. I agree so much with Chevymetal , but I dont think we need to tax imports - that would have a bad consequence - tariffs have been tried before and always fail.

I dont need to get started on govt,but like chevy says, we need to get the government more out of our lives. People are too lazy or ill informed to figure what they have sacrificed to get entitlements they "think" they want. We are a country of enablers and it has to change someday to tough love. Dont take your freedom for granted.

I think it was Ben Franklin that said it best, "those who will trade freedom for security deserve neither".
Old 07-22-2004, 09:41 AM
High Octane

Last photo:

Dbuff,

Amen, brother!
Old 07-23-2004, 07:59 AM

I agree with Chevymetal, it is tough to put up with the crap the Goverment throws our way. They keep saying the small business is the heart and sole of America and the they crap on us. I am all for working safe and keeping the enviroment clean but when I get an enviromental audit and they come in and look at paperwork and if all my paid! permits are in order and never once look to see if I am pouring junk down the drain that tells me they only care about the money! Or when my insurance is so high that it is one of the largest product cost because anyone can sue me for any reason that sucks. I had a fat *** lady fall, just fall, no broken cement not wet level ground! she just fell because she was 9 billion pounds. So she sued me I guess to get more money for cookies but the insurance company paid this fat assed cow! Then raised my insurance! OH yeah the laws are working for the small business!
Old 07-23-2004, 04:00 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
the iron is not from the USA
If i remember reading correctly recently the American Cars use American Iron. The foreign cars brought into this country are made from scrap metal. China has no iron ore so they buy scrap from the US. The same with the other foreign countries. We recycle to them. Now the aftermarket fenders, hoods, etc. that you buy are all made from recycled materials and do not meet our expectations. I can't say not meet our standard because we put the very minimum that there is on them. But as far as the American cars go it is from US steel.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.