Magnetic signs leaving marks - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009, 09:08 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Magnetic signs leaving marks

Hi all! I've recently started a new business, which is why I haven't been around much, and I'm having a problem I hope someone can help me with. I purchased some rubber like magnetic signs to put on my car which was painted a few months ago. At first there was no problem but recently I removed the magnet on the rear hatch only to discover that the paint behind the magnet appeared to be fogged. It's hard to describe but there was what appeared to be a gray film IN the paint. You could see where there had been air pockets trapped under the magnet because those spots were clear.

Luckily, I was removing the magnets because I was dropping it off at the body shop to have the hood repainted for the third time, don't
ask! , and they were nice enough to buff the whole car before they returned it to me so, the marks left by the magnets are gone but....I'd really like to use the magnets since it's cheap advertising and I've gotten a lot of business from them. Does anyone know what caused this to happen or if there's a way to remove any future marks short of buffing?

I should mention that the car had NXT wax on it but I had something similar happen to a race car that wasn't waxed at all a few years back. Hubby used a plastic drop cloth to cover the car and when I removed it a couple of days later, it was sitting in the sun, the plastic had left similar marks over the entire car. Looked something like the wrinkled plastic paint effect. Both cars have bc/cc on them. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Peggy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2009, 05:54 AM

Im not completly sure but it probly had something to do with the paint being so new. Next time clean the are with wax and grease remover and let it dry brfore putting on the magnets. Also make sure that the backs of your magnets are clean.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:37 PM

Last photo:

Thanks, Metalmeltr! The paint being fairly fresh was my first thought as well but then I remembered something similar happening to our other car which had paint that was at least 10 years old on it.

I'm beginning to wonder if this was caused by moisture trapped under the sign. I had removed the signs, washed the car, washed the signs, and then put them back on just a few days before finding the marks under the one on the rear. The fogging under the sign was sort of similar to the white rings a wet glass will leave on a table top so.......lol I'm just guessing but I'm wondering if moisture, baked by the sun, would effect cc like this. (I say baked by the sun because the signs on the doors didn't leave any marks and really the only difference is that the sign on the rear gets more direct sunlight where the car is normally parked.)

I guess I'll invest in some static cling signs for the windows rather than risk my paint job but being the curious type I'd still like to understand what caused this.
Peggy
Old 01-08-2010, 10:40 AM

few tips on using magnetic signs

- paint must be at least 3 months dry before using magnets;

- any buffs, lacquers or coatings shall be completely dried according to manufacturer recommendations

- it is best to remove magnets once a day and clean back side of the magnet and the vehicle surface with warm water (put magnets back on only completely dry - both magnets and vehicle)

More information on magnetic sign use and care at http://***********

Thank you,
Stan

Last edited by 302 Z28; 01-09-2010 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Violation of guidelines. Please see: general board guidelines.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:47 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

what about using Vinyl lettering on your rear Window? I know it sounds holey but no Paint damage
Old 01-08-2010, 10:53 AM

Yeah, vinyl on window is the safest. Usually to make vinyl lettering stand out more on a clear or tinted window White colored lettering works best, or any other color with white or silver outline.

However, it is hard to make vinyl look as good as magnets on the side of the vehicle.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:45 AM

Last photo:

If I was going to operate a busines and advertise it on my vehicle I would have either a vinyl decal or a sign painter do it right, so as to not look like a fly by night outfit imho.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:35 AM

Last photo:

Here are some other tips you might find useful.

You don't have to take the mags off every day. If you clean the back of the magnetics and wax the doors good, you should be able to wipe them off every week or so. Your sign supplier should have told you this going in, to save you this aggravation.

Magnet signs were never meant to be put on a vehicle and just left there. They trap dust and dirt between the sign and the car, and can actually cause rust stains to form. Enough dust and dirt on the back will also lessen the bond and cause them to blow off easily. They can also 'bake' themselves on to some finishes, and be a real bear to get off. Also, like many other things, there are many different types of magnetic materials. The good stuff is about the thickness of a penny. Don't let anyone sell you the thin cheapo stuff.

Old Fool
After almost 40 years in the sign business, I can relate to what you're saying about not wanting the magnetics to look 'cheesy'. I hate them too, for that reason. There is an answer, though, that I've done many times, with good results. It will cost a bit more, but the final result is well worth it.

Figure out what size you want your magnetics to be; then have the material background painted the same color as your vehicle. Then get a sign company to make you up a sharp layout, in complementary colors. The magnetics will look very much like they were done ON the vehicle, and not some cheapo piece of crap. Not as good as the real hand lettered job, but it'll look pretty decent. Many folks won't know the difference. Hope you can make this happen!

Last edited by dalesy; 01-09-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:28 AM

Last journal entry: Box is back on the truck
Last photo:

Waxes, polishes, and cleaners

A fresh paint job has to breath. With waxes you should wait at least 3 months. I have watched many of my paint jobs become even more brilliant in the first 2 years to be finally cured. If you go to ***********.com there is the best article I have ever read on waxes, polishes, and cleaners. It is a bit of a long read but the info is worth it.

Last edited by 302 Z28; 01-11-2010 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Violation of guidelines. Please see: general board guidelines.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.