Hot Rod Forum banner

Magnetic Switch

3K views 32 replies 6 participants last post by  27Tall T 
#1 ·
:( My problem decided to work for a while, both ways, and then decided to work only one way. I'm using a magnetic switch to latch/unlatch a solenoid. Worked like a dream until it stuck (switch) in the closed position.:pain: I cannot get it to unlatch the solenoid and so I fear the switch is underrated. The switch is the type they use on alarm systems for residential house windows. Passing a magnet over it worked several times , but now the magnet does nothing as the switch is locked (read fused?) in the one position. The solenoid works and so I know it is the switch.:mad: Has anyone got a better idea for a magnetic switch which is the same size as the one I want to replace, but a higher voltage/ampere rating?:confused: By passing the magnet over the switch it grounded the solenoid which allowed it to unlatch. The only other alternate plan is to go through a relay, but this would involve more wire and a lot of rewiring unless someone has a better idea.

#33 ·
:) I will run it the way it is and hope that everything is A-Okay. My prime reason for using the latch/unlatch solenoid is that my battery is underneath the vehicle (Ford COE) and I have to get down on my back and turn the knob on the battery post to disconnect (cheapee type). This way is kinda dirty and hard on the old bones.:pain:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.