Main bolt tightening sequence question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2006, 06:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Main bolt tightening sequence question

Okay, this sounds so simple, but I cannot find it in a bulding manual... When you tighten four bolt mains, which sequence do you follow? As I have been do the pre-fitting, I have been tightening the inners and outers equally in three increments. For example I go to the inners and do 35, then the outers at 35, and then I do them all in 55 and then 70.

Or should I go down the line of inners and fully tighten them in the three increments and then go to the outers? It's a pain because all of the engine building videos I've seen show a 2 bolt main being built.

Thanks for any input.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2006, 06:56 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Dont think it really matters........You are doing the right thing and doing it in steps...........

I would start in the middle and work my way out with one torque....then increase it and do the same again and then the last time with the final torque.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

"When in Doubt..Center out.." (I learned from an olde poet..).. in a criss~cross pattern..

The important thing as Poncho points out..Two step is the proper thing to do..35 then 70..

Doc
Old 10-18-2006, 08:49 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

On all the blocks we machine for other shops and engine builders we line hone all the blocks that go through our shop and use the ARP hardware and using a bolt kit we snug the center bolts then torque to 40# then snug the outter bots and torque to 40# then the inner ones 65# then the outter bolts 65# With the ARP lube as we send a sheet with every block on the torque specs and sequence on how they are torqued so the customer can come out with the same results.

And we have found the torquing the outter bolts first DOES change the housing bore diameter.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:29 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Thanks for the insight CNC. Never seen this written any where, but makes sence and does point out that true machinist tend to look at "what happens when".

Trees
Old 10-19-2006, 07:06 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I snug the center cap, and the rear cap, loosen the rear cap bolts and seat the thrust bearing.

I then torque in sequence at 35 lbs, longer bolts first, then the outer bolts, and I also torque all the caps at 35 lbs. (Do all caps at 35, then 50 and then 65). I then torque to 50 lbs, in the same order, and then finally 65 lbs. I spin the crank as I go to check for binding. I use moly lube on the bolts.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:14 PM
Old Guys Rule!...EVERYTHING!

Last photo:

I start in the middle, snugging to #35 first, and in a widening circular pattern (middle to out) I snug them all. Then back to the middle and go to #80 in the circular pattern, middle to out. Then back to the middle again taking them to the final seating pressure ...again middle to out in the circular pattern. If you look at the head bolt pattern, it's basically the same way. Good Luck! ...Mark
Old 10-19-2006, 04:20 PM
floppers forever

does anyone ratate the crank when they torque the mains?
how about puttin lube on the shoulder and threads of the bolt?
Old 10-19-2006, 07:53 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11echo
I start in the middle, snugging to #35 first, and in a widening circular pattern (middle to out) I snug them all. Then back to the middle and go to #80 in the circular pattern, middle to out. Then back to the middle again taking them to the final seating pressure ...again middle to out in the circular pattern. If you look at the head bolt pattern, it's basically the same way. Good Luck! ...Mark
80 pounds on a 7/16 main bolt HMMMMMMMMMMM
Old 10-19-2006, 08:00 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro_baller4692
does anyone ratate the crank when they torque the mains?
how about puttin lube on the shoulder and threads of the bolt?
Why would you ratate the crank when torquing the mains and we use all ARP hardware and and we use the ARP lube on the threads and the washers. And we have used 40# the 65# as I have described above on the bolt kits and on the studs we torque them to 40# the 70# as this has worked for our shop for 32 years now with no related problems so far and on those studs we use the CMD-3 high pressure lube on the threads and washers.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:23 AM
floppers forever

Why would you ratate the crank when torquing the mains

i have not seen anyone talk about using a mic. or a dial bore gauge,if you torque all the caps down without turning the crank how would you know what main is the problem,if there is one.
has anyone hear heard of bearing missalignment,yeah bearings have locking tabs but some people still screw things up.
i'm not trying to offend anyone,i just think a crank should be rotated after every step in the assembley process of the rotating assmbley.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:59 AM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro_baller4692
Why would you ratate the crank when torquing the mains

i have not seen anyone talk about using a mic. or a dial bore gauge,if you torque all the caps down without turning the crank how would you know what main is the problem,if there is one.
has anyone hear heard of bearing missalignment,yeah bearings have locking tabs but some people still screw things up.
i'm not trying to offend anyone,i just think a crank should be rotated after every step in the assembley process of the rotating assmbley.
If you read my post about line honing all the blocks that go through our shop and to do that process a Sunnen bore gauge is used to check the demension of the housing bore.

And the Crank sould not be rotated till ALL the caps are Torqued as you want the bearings SEATED in there housing bores and if blocks are line hone properly there should not be any misalignment.

And again in most cases cranks will not spin freely until the mains are all torqued and the bearings have seated in there housing bores.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:19 AM
floppers forever

And again in most cases cranks will not spin freely until the mains are all torqued and the bearings have seated in there housing bores.

if the crank don't spin freely,then the crank needs to be checked for straightness or the align honing was done incorrectly.i've never had a engine that i assembled have the crank not spin freely.i will find the problem and fix it as to whats necessary.
when checking the bores with the gauge are you checking front and back on the main saddle and are you checking top to bottom and also just off the parting lines on both sides?
Old 10-20-2006, 08:02 AM
Old Guys Rule!...EVERYTHING!

Last photo:

CNC BLOCKS N/E "80 pounds on a 7/16 main bolt HMMMMMMMMMMM"

...I'm talking big block Chevy here, as I recall the torque setting on the mains is 110 ft/Lb.s is it not!?? ...What are you talking about??? ....Honda?
Old 10-20-2006, 10:17 AM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11echo
CNC BLOCKS N/E "80 pounds on a 7/16 main bolt HMMMMMMMMMMM"

...I'm talking big block Chevy here, as I recall the torque setting on the mains is 110 ft/Lb.s is it not!?? ...What are you talking about??? ....Honda?
I believe when the post was started they are talking SBC as the final torque they were talking about was 70 ans assune is a SBC as there nothing evr mentioned about torquing anything 70 foot pounds.

If thay are talking about a BBC I am way off.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.