Hot Rod Forum banner

main cap studs

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  CNC BLOCKS NE 
#1 ·
HELLO ALL, I was told that by installing studs in a block that it will distort the caps and the block will need to be align bored.To me this doesn't make sense .Aren't bolts and studs dong basically the same thing? wouldn't the torque specs be the same? Thanks........

#2 ·
Usually a stud (or and aftermarket bolt) is made of a higher quality stronger alloy steel than the factory bolt, even at the same torque level it will distort the bearing bore differently than the "stretchy-er" factory bolt. On top of this, aftermarket bolts often have a higher torque value than factory bolts, which also influences the distortion amount.

#3 ·
I am in sort of the same boat. I was planning on installing ARP studs in my 2-bolt 454. However, if that is going to require a line bore anyway, I might consider finding some stock 4-bolt caps cheap and having the additional work done.

The 400 SB I had work done did need a line hone (and not a line bore) after the main studs were installed. At least that is what my machinist told me. Did I just get lucky with that?

#4 ·
nofearengineer said:
I am in sort of the same boat. I was planning on installing ARP studs in my 2-bolt 454. However, if that is going to require a line bore anyway, I might consider finding some stock 4-bolt caps cheap and having the additional work done.

The 400 SB I had work done did need a line hone (and not a line bore) after the main studs were installed. At least that is what my machinist told me. Did I just get lucky with that?
Generally the addition of studs will only require a line hone, my 400's and 383's have been that way.

#5 ·
Any old block that is going to be used in a performance application should be line honed period and read the instructions that come with the ARP stud or bolt kit as it pretty much laid out.

Here is the bearings out of a 327 chevy with 400 miles on the engine and it came if for other reasons but we did line hone the block and this summer this vette went to all 48 states in 89 days 21000 miles and no issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.