Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Maintaining Professional Tools
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 07:44 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I bought my first set of Craftsman tools in 1960 (shortly after buying my 36 Ford Coupe. This set was stolen when Uncle Sam sent me to Okinawa in 1968. I was given a check for what I paid for them and when I returned to the States in 1970, I replaced them with a much larger and more complete set. I have all those tools except for a long 1/2X9/16 box, a 9/16X5/8 line wrench, most of the screw drivers and the 1/4 ratchet. The box and line wrenches are still in the kit, but they have been modified into special tools. I replaced them by hunting through hundreds of tool benches at flea markets and swap meets. I have also added to and expanded my line with the same period tools. My screw drivers and 1/4 ratchet have been replaced by Sears, but unfortunately, they are not the quality of the older tools (bigger, fatter and just plain fuggly. I think this is what OHD is alluding to when he says Snapon has to replace his boxes with used matching ones. Though the prices stay high on Snapon, Matco, and MAC, their quality is lagging in my opinion. For the guy that makes a living with his tools, they probably are not too expensive, but for a hobbyist, probably not worth the difference.

Now if I could just find a great set of old Snapons at a widow's garage sale....!!!!

Trees