Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Maintaining Professional Tools
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 11:02 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
I used Craftsman tools for about seven years professionally as a certified Chevy and Ford mechanic at dealerships. Still have most all of them plus a few more. I broke a few and they were replaced at no charge. Craftsman tools will serve you well in a professional work environment, they are not just for hobbyists.

Vince
Sorry but I just can't agree with using Craftsman for pro work, I have seen it tried too many times at the mines and the failure rate was simply too high. A lot of the young guys would come to work with their new Craftsman tools because Sears was a heck of a lot cheaper than Snap-On but when those sockets cracked or ratchets failed in the middle of a job miles from nowhere that warranty didn't help much, and the failure rate compared to Snap-On, Mac, etc was VERY high especially the sockets, they would break far too easy! Another problem was box end wrenches and 12 point sockets rounding off fasteners where the pro tools were of the flank drive design and would grip the fastener on a stronger part of the flat. 12 point sockets of any brand are bad for doing this and should be used only when a 6 point will not work but the pro type flank drive work much better. For those guys out there in the field a broken tool could mean disaster and the new guys quickly figured out for themselves why the rest of us did not try to save money at Sears. Craftsman wrenches are really tough and will take a beating but they are slightly thicker and that can occasional cause a problem, the regular screwdrivers are not very good but the pro series are probably as good as any I have used, pliers are really good too (with the exception of those junky vise grip type) but sockets and ratchets simply break too easy. Craftsman has that lifetime warranty but how good a warranty's worth should be measured is by how often you have to use it instead of how agreeable they are about honoring it.