Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Maintaining Professional Tools
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2008, 07:00 AM
Its just metal,you're the boss

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

while I cant say what I do to maintain my snap on wrenches, or my mac ratchets...I Don't own any, I've got a Kennedy box full of Brown and Sharpe, Mitutoyo, Tesa, starrett, and hand made precision (some of them down to .00005") ground tools that require a lot of care...I'm talking if you drop it its a write off. All the bare metal, and there's a lot of it gets wiped off with a clean rag, with acetone if need be, and hit with WD 40. The drawers have desiccant packets. Nothing (mic's calipers, etc) is stored with the measuring faces together. nothing is kept locked, or with any tension on it for any period of time. most items have their own case they are kept in which is in turn kept in my box. And to top it all off everything is independently calibrated occasionally to make sure I do a good job of taking care of my stuff...I even got ahold of the roll of calibration stickers and put one on my calculator .

my personal mill, lathe, band saw, etc, all get the same treatment...except having their own case to be kept in...that would be a big case. but all the bare metal gets coated with WD 40 when not in use, everything stays lubricated, the mill even has a nifty set up that you fill with way oil, give it a pump and it oils everything. Nothing stays locked, when it sits idle for any period of time I move all of the axis's and fire up the spindles on occasion. The CNC machines at work stop in their tracks when the lube tanks get low. they say forget you buddy, you oil me up then i'll go back to doing what I'm doing but not before.

It was hard to make the transition from working on bulldozers to precision stuff but its really helped with my patience and attention to detail...although I still momentarily revert to get a bigger hammer mode every now and then.