Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Maintaining Professional Tools
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2008, 07:35 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
All I'm saying is there are literally thousands of auto mechanics out there making a living using Craftsman tools and they are serving them well.Vince

To be fair you are talking about auto mechanics and I have to admit I am thinking bulldozers but then it was the smaller more common sizes I was talking about. The strange part is the big stuff from 3/4" drive up works just fine out there and even though things like sockets are somewhat thicker than, say, Snap-On I have never seen that to be a problem on the larger stuff. Honestly it was not just brand loyalty and if the Craftsman tools (mainly sockets and ratchets) would have done the job they would have been used more often. As far as cracking sockets I cracked a 1/2" drive 12 point (24 MM IIRC) trying to remove an oil plug in the side of a Ranger Truck 5 speed transmission without using a breaker bar. The fellow I was with who owned the tools had one of those Craftsman sets in the black plastic fold-up case and out of the 3/8" set 3 of the sockets were cracked (12 point). Honestly I am not making this up and I just could not imagine a Proto or Snap-On cracking on that oil plug. I have always said that not everyone needs to buy Snap-On, etc but when someone's job depends on them it may be a different story.

There has been a recent discussion here about the problems (impossibility?) of getting the Snap-On warranty honored and by coincidence he is from my area. It seems there is more than one person with that problem and Snap-On is increasingly getting bad-mouthed by more than just this guy so they may be headed for trouble. I hope it is just a local thing but the problems he has had getting help from the regional office does not look good and I think maybe I personally would be hesitant to invest that kind of money in tools that might be orphaned before long.