Maintaining Professional Tools - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2008, 12:19 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Maintaining Professional Tools

What do you guys use to polish scratches out of your SnapOn Matco MAC etc open end wrenches, ratchets, speed wrenches, and sockets etc?

Do you coat them, with anything, after polishing?

I use gray polishing coumpound on my polishing wheel then coat them with glass wax. Worked for the 40 years I have been doing it.

I have lots of tools in excellent condition, much older, than lots of the members of this forum.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2008, 03:25 PM

Last photo:

Now here is a man that cares for his tools, I thought I was the only one that polished my tools! I have for years used a light cotton buffing wheel and light duty compound to polish up wrenches, ratchets and sockets followed by a shot of WD40 but I never went so far as to wax them. One word of caution however is NOT to use an aggressive compound or do this too often because the chrome will wear through even on Snap-On tools.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:31 PM

wow.. i must need some tools like yall have!
Old 12-21-2008, 04:36 PM

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Wiki Edits: 1

maintaining professional tools

I not sure where're I not old enough to take care of my tools or I just don't have any professional tool yet. I do uses them, but don't abuse them, I don't think. Most of them have been with me 45 years and climbing. Hope they aren't to unhappy. I just wash them in my parts cleaner, then wipe them off. And I have seen a frown .
Old 12-21-2008, 06:00 PM
ASE Master Tech

i just wipe the grease off and thats enough shine for me. they get used everyday though
Old 12-21-2008, 06:10 PM

Last photo:

"chrome will wear through even on Snap-On tools"

Once or twice a year my Snapon Matco and MAC guys will go through my tools and ask me if I want the "worn" ones replaced.

LAST YEAR SNAPON REPLACED 4 SETS OF MY SWIVEL 3/8 METRIC AND SAE sockets. Matco guy saw them and replaced all my 3/8 and 1/2 inch impact sockets with new ones with the big numbers (for the newbie mechanics who cant guess close enough)

If Snap On even thinks about replacing open, box, or crowfeet wrenches with new ones, they have to match the ones in my current sets, if so, I let them, if not I wait for them to get a used one that does....

I guess with Chrapsman you would have to match up the "made in china", "made in japan", "made in India", or " made in tiwan" logos...
Old 12-21-2008, 06:13 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:

I guess with Chrapsman you would have to match up the "made in china", made in India" or " made in tiwan" logos...

I thought they were all making them overseas now? Seriously..
Old 12-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Last photo:

Worked with a guy who had a fancy smancy huge Snap-On tool box filled with pretty chrome plated tools. He was single and I was married with one child at the time. He spent all his time cleaning, polishing, and arranging his tools. He would clean his tools between each job and put them precisely back in their designated spot. We all worked on commission at that time and it seemed he worked solely to pay the Snap-On tool man. He eventually got married and started a family and all that polishing and stuff went out the window, and he even had some Craftsman tools in the big shiny Sanp-On tool box.

Vince
Old 12-21-2008, 10:05 PM

Last photo:

You know it's amazing to me how some guy's on here just love to "Raw Dog" Craftsman tools. Looks like if you don't own Snap On or Matco etc. then you aren't a REAL tool guy. Sure, I'll admit there's a quality difference between them and if I was a professional mechanic and had a shop I probably would buy a better brand.

I've had my Craftsman roll-a-way for over 40 yrs. full of the tools I need to build my cars and do all the normal stuff around the house and they have served me well. I've only had to replace a few tools and that was due to my carelessness. I wipe mine off with a shop rag when I'm done with them, but If you want to "POLISH" your tools and spend thousands of $$$$$$$$ on these brands then so be it, I have no problem with that, it's your time and money. OOOOP's sorry, I have to go, it's cold out in the garage. I forgot to turn the electric blanket on that covers my roll-a-way........
Old 12-21-2008, 10:27 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327NUT
You know it's amazing to me how some guy's on here just love to "Raw Dog" Craftsman tools. Looks like if you don't own Snap On or Matco etc. then you aren't a REAL tool guy. Sure, I'll admit there's a quality difference between them and if I was a professional mechanic and had a shop I probably would buy a better brand.......

I don't think anyone has been badmouthing Craftsman other than to say they are not quite the quality of the Snap-On, Matco, etc and for general shop use they beat just about anything out there. For heavy duty use for the professional it is usually a different story and for that the pro grades are the best investment. I think most here that prefer the pro tools would also agree that buying Snap-On, etc is not very practical for the average home shop and for that Craftsman are just fine.

Now about polishing tools, we are not talking about taking the buffer to every tool used before it is put back in the box but occasionally when wrenches, sockets and such get dulled there is nothing wrong with polishing them to bring back that clean shiny look and it is no different than cleaning a tool box and maybe replacing the drawer liners. Personally I like to open my box to a nice clean set of tools and the few minutes spent buffing on a wrench occasionally is not time wasted, not to me anyway.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:32 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

craftsman tools

My 50 year old craftsman box has good drawer slides. I bought an upright top and bottom at a moving sale for $ 25. new they were 200 on sale. they have lousy slides and if I load the drawers they jump off the tracks..
Old 12-22-2008, 07:03 AM
Nitro, meat for the beast

After being a tradesman for the better part of 25 years, I have put together a mixed-bag of tools. Mac, Matco, Snap-on, S-K,Craftsman, et al.
I have never had a problem with any of them. Some break, some wear, some get lost between the inner and outer fenders. I
'll be honest. I can't complain about a single one of them and trust me when I tell you, I am not easy on my equipment. Not that I abuse them, but I work them constantly. I always said that if you take care of your tools, your tools will take care of you.
I dont care what name is on the handle, not many 3/8 drive ratchets can stand up to a 3' cheater bar!!!
Old 12-24-2008, 07:44 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

I bought my first set of Craftsman tools in 1960 (shortly after buying my 36 Ford Coupe. This set was stolen when Uncle Sam sent me to Okinawa in 1968. I was given a check for what I paid for them and when I returned to the States in 1970, I replaced them with a much larger and more complete set. I have all those tools except for a long 1/2X9/16 box, a 9/16X5/8 line wrench, most of the screw drivers and the 1/4 ratchet. The box and line wrenches are still in the kit, but they have been modified into special tools. I replaced them by hunting through hundreds of tool benches at flea markets and swap meets. I have also added to and expanded my line with the same period tools. My screw drivers and 1/4 ratchet have been replaced by Sears, but unfortunately, they are not the quality of the older tools (bigger, fatter and just plain fuggly. I think this is what OHD is alluding to when he says Snapon has to replace his boxes with used matching ones. Though the prices stay high on Snapon, Matco, and MAC, their quality is lagging in my opinion. For the guy that makes a living with his tools, they probably are not too expensive, but for a hobbyist, probably not worth the difference.

Now if I could just find a great set of old Snapons at a widow's garage sale....!!!!

Trees
Old 12-24-2008, 08:59 PM
Last photo:

I used Craftsman tools for about seven years professionally as a certified Chevy and Ford mechanic at dealerships. Still have most all of them plus a few more. I broke a few and they were replaced at no charge. Craftsman tools will serve you well in a professional work environment, they are not just for hobbyists.

Vince
Old 12-24-2008, 10:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
I used Craftsman tools for about seven years professionally as a certified Chevy and Ford mechanic at dealerships. Still have most all of them plus a few more. I broke a few and they were replaced at no charge. Craftsman tools will serve you well in a professional work environment, they are not just for hobbyists.

Vince
Sorry but I just can't agree with using Craftsman for pro work, I have seen it tried too many times at the mines and the failure rate was simply too high. A lot of the young guys would come to work with their new Craftsman tools because Sears was a heck of a lot cheaper than Snap-On but when those sockets cracked or ratchets failed in the middle of a job miles from nowhere that warranty didn't help much, and the failure rate compared to Snap-On, Mac, etc was VERY high especially the sockets, they would break far too easy! Another problem was box end wrenches and 12 point sockets rounding off fasteners where the pro tools were of the flank drive design and would grip the fastener on a stronger part of the flat. 12 point sockets of any brand are bad for doing this and should be used only when a 6 point will not work but the pro type flank drive work much better. For those guys out there in the field a broken tool could mean disaster and the new guys quickly figured out for themselves why the rest of us did not try to save money at Sears. Craftsman wrenches are really tough and will take a beating but they are slightly thicker and that can occasional cause a problem, the regular screwdrivers are not very good but the pro series are probably as good as any I have used, pliers are really good too (with the exception of those junky vise grip type) but sockets and ratchets simply break too easy. Craftsman has that lifetime warranty but how good a warranty's worth should be measured is by how often you have to use it instead of how agreeable they are about honoring it.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.