Hot Rod Forum banner

Major Loss of Torque

2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Malibu1980 
#1 ·
Ok, i just changed the tranny in my car and put a new carb on it...........now my car boggs down in first and doesent even powerbreak anymore.........ive lost soooo much torque its not even funny.........i seam to still have my HP though cause when i hit 2nd gear it go's.....its a turbo 350 tranny so i only have 3 gears lol.........can anyone sudgest whats wrong???

#9 ·
I assume the tranny you took out is the same as the one you have installed. Sounds like you have a adjustment in tuning to get back the missing power. You said a small cam so I will assume it doesn't need stalled converter. Try tuning the carb and look really close to see if you might find vacuum leaks. Double check the kick down cable is adjusted correctly.

#14 ·
You want to attatch to the fitting that has vacuum at idle. This should be the one that the distributor is hooked to, but you need to make sure. Easiest way is to take loose the hoses one at a time and see if the engine idles up. This would mean you caused a leak and is the correct one. To adjust the screws, if you do not have a guage, you can do it by ear to an extent. The screws on the front of the carb angling up are the idle mixture. Screw them in a little at a time until the engine begins to stumble. Back them out until it starts to idle up and then down. When it idles down the mixture is becoming rich. Now go half way between the bog and the stumble. This is not perfect, but should get it close.

Chris

#16 ·
i have a 305 with Small cam, Aluminum intake, edelbrock 500cfm manual choke carb, headers, but thats about all i know..........i had a edelbrock 750cfm manual choke carb on there........but it stopped working right so i bought a new one, i figured the 750 was wayyyy to big for my size motor.

#17 ·
Malibu1980 said:
i have a 305 with Small cam, Aluminum intake, edelbrock 500cfm manual choke carb, headers, but thats about all i know..........i had a edelbrock 750cfm manual choke carb on there........but it stopped working right so i bought a new one, i figured the 750 was wayyyy to big for my size motor.
probably right if you are running a small cam and not revving the thing to 10k

i think the small carb should promote better throttle response, but i'm sure it's not tuned properly. I have very little experience with edelbrock carbs so i'm not too much help.

#18 ·
You did good on the carb swap.

I would say that you dont have your vacuum lines hooked up properly to start. You should have the distributor on a constant vacuum port. The modulator should be on a port that receives vacuum when the throttle blades open I believe. I dont remember which is which on the Edelbrock. I am a Holley fan.

Chris

#20 ·
it was a Turbo 350, the same kinda transmission i have now..........i know the left port is distributer, and the middle is PCV and the far right one is modulator for the tranny....but when i unplug the distributer one from the tranny it does nothing........when i unplug the middle one the car dies, and when i unplug the right one i hear air blowing out but it doesent die.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.