Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   Major traction problem.. (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/major-traction-problem-26059.html)

Budstang 10-19-2003 02:22 PM

Major traction problem..

1 Attachment(s)
.. Ok what i have is a 79 mustang with a 302 boss motor...At a slow take off from stop i cant seem to get the rear tires from backing...They spin at take off ever time..Its starting to get costly and iam also loseing time on the take off the car just sits there and smokes the tires..It barks the tries every damn gear..I cant drive this car when it rains takeing off from an idle with out giveing gas and the car sits there and spinnes the tire..

My car doesnt have leaf springs or coil springs on the rear axle..All it has is shocks and the car is a light weight car...Much has been removed from it..This is my street car...I have already went to a wider tire 10 inch wide ones is what i have on her now..

Ive looked around for traction bars and coil spring traction bars..And i havent seen anything to my knoldge that will work on this car...

Beening i got this car used maybe something is missing to cause this problem..I dont know myself

Buddy

Frisco 10-19-2003 04:59 PM

Re: Major traction problem..

Quote:

Originally posted by Budstang
.. My car doesnt have leaf springs or coil springs on the rear axle..All it has is shocks and the car is a light weight car...Much has been removed from it..This is my street car
Buddy

I would really like to see some photos of that rear suspension. I've never seen a rear suspension that was held up with just shocks. :rolleyes: :eek: :confused: :nono:

BstMech 10-19-2003 06:16 PM

Yeah right......at least you posted in the right forum.......

But if you do have a problem with traction on wet pavement, maybe your front brake calipers are locking up.

Oh yeah, that ain't no Boss under your hood either. :drunk:

Budstang 10-19-2003 07:03 PM

Thanks for the replys..As you can tell i dont know much about cars..Iam not trying to come off asking dumb *** questions..May be dumb questions to you but not to me...I found out earlyer that i dont have the boss motor..Because there are only 6 bolts per valve cover...So there for i have windsor head that has been ported.....

Quote:

Originally posted by BstMech
Yeah right......at least you posted in the right forum.......

But if you do have a problem with traction on wet pavement, maybe your front brake calipers are locking up.

Oh yeah, that ain't no Boss under your hood either. :drunk:

I didnt come he looking for sarcazem...BstMech i came here to learn about my car..If you want to be that way you dont haft to post on my threads so dont fell like you haft to..

How do you know what i have...?You havent been here to see my car..I didnt join the fourms here to play kid crap man..

iam 28 yrs bro done out of high school no games....

My front calipers are not locking up..Its the horsepower when i try to take off.If you not happy with you car dont take it out on me..You built it..

2wld4u 10-19-2003 07:29 PM

79-93 mustangs share the same platform, its called the fox body, so they are basicaly the same car with the cosmetics changed..you do have coil springs on the rear, you also have upper and lower control arms, you may or may not have quad shocks, you also have a rear sway bar, if you dont have any of these things dont drive it!!! (with the exception being the quad shocks) I would replace the upper and lower control arms with BBK, Hotchkis, SSM, Mac, what ever flavor you desire, the point is the factory rubber bushings rot, and get sloppy, it will allow the rear end to sway, or rear steer, and traction is lost, I would also replace the rear shocks, be sure you have the rear sway bar attached, if your car was a factory 4 cyl, you may not have provisions on your lower control arms for a sway bar, you could buy a used set of V-8 lowers but I recomend aftermarket replacements..Also you can add sub frame connectors to stiffen the chassis also..Buy yourself a mustang mag, and start reading, there are tons of options, happy hunting!

BstMech 10-19-2003 10:17 PM

Re: Major traction problem..

Quote:

Originally posted by Budstang
.. .. Ive looked around for traction bars and coil spring traction bars..And i havent seen anything to my knoldge that will work on this car...

You mean to tell me that out of a million of these cars yours is so unique that you can't pick up a least a dozen different magazines and find what you need? :confused:

If you have an automatic transmission (no info given), you might have tranny problems. If you have a standard, don't pop the clutch anymore and that should solve your problem.

Did you actually read the guidelines for posting before posting? These guidelines are very noticeable when going through the new member sign up process. If you don't want to be thought of as a kid playing around, try not to sound like one.

matt_ramsey 10-20-2003 12:18 AM

burns out too easily?
too much horsepower?
sounds terrible...

mikeweyman 10-20-2003 05:23 PM

stupid question, is it posi??my friend had limited slip posi on his camaro, and it kept snapping some spring and returned to regular(whatever they call it when its not posi)
I had the same problem off the line with my bike(spinning fishtails), the cure was a high quality soft rubber compound tire. they were expensive, and they didnt last long, but they solved the problem.maybe some pirelli tires will make a diffrence??
I have 295 50 15's bf.goods on the vette, no problems there.

tm454 10-20-2003 07:18 PM

no traction stang

First off, don't get snippy, you have a problem not the people answering your thread. What ever problem you have it is not unique, not the First time it has ever happened. Someone on here probably has had the same thing happen to them. So what if its not a BOSS? BstMech didn't call it wrong, did he? You want help don't you, a little humility might be in order from you Dude. My suggestion is to check your gear ratio. Then come back and tell us what gears you have. I have 3 cars with coil over shock as the rear suspension, its called Pro-Street. And yes, sticking front disc pads can lock the front wheels and make your tires spin on wet pavement. On my cars I do it on purpose, its called Line Lock. Cool your jets man, let people help if they can. Don't POP OFF at people. You don't have to ask your questions here if you don't think you like the way people answer you. You are the New Guy around here. You need people to help you. We have Trolls that come in here and have imaginary cars and try to get us to fix imaginary problems, your post is very Troll like. If you are for real then people will help you too fix your car. Ask your questions and DON'T snap at the people answering you, EVER!

Todd

Rat Rods Rule!

Budstang 10-20-2003 09:34 PM

LMAO

Some of you guys suck chops..The man insults me and you take up for him...You say iam troll like F#ck off i posted pic of the motor in my car..What the Crap more do you want...Iam i going totake an insult from any of you Heck no iam not..You a peeon just like..Me i dont care how long you have been here or who you think you are....I dont have any problem with jokeing around but dont you ever try and make me look dumb..You may know alot about cars but i dont...Jack **** The questions i ask are not dumb to me...
To be real this site has much good info..Some of the people here ruin this for others..Why should i haft to go threw verable crap to learn something..So on that note (BYE)Enjoy your site..And have fun in your car!!!!!!!!!:D

Thanks to the guys really Trying to teach me something be besides dont pop the clutch...LOL Who in heck couldnt notice this guy starting trouble..

readyeddie 10-20-2003 10:06 PM

no traction

Take the slicks off and get you some studded snow tires
;) :rolleyes: :D

BstMech 10-20-2003 10:30 PM

SEEYA! BYE BYE! Don't let the door knob hit'ya where the good lord split'ya.

Your post sounded more like you were bragging about your car than anything. You failed to show a picture of the part in question (the rear end or lack thereof). Instead you showed us a picture of your "Boss" in an attempt to prove to us how "awesomely powerful" it is and how that must be the problem. You sound like every other kid who says "Yep, it's a four bolt main!", like that means it's totally awesome.

Now, why don't you give us some real info other than "Yep, it's a Boss!" and we can better understand why your experiencing the "traction problems" you're having. Otherwise, all I see is a pretty much stock 302 in a '79 Mustang and I can tell you that it's no drag strip warrior by far. In other words, put up or shut up, but if you wanna get all butt hurt over this and troll out on us then go ahead. Just remember, the ball is in your hands you can either take a little ribbin' and go with the flow, or act like a baby.

I'm no Hotrod hero by any means, but I can sniff out a line of BULL a mile away.

I'm sorry you're so touchy, trust me I won't bother you anymore. I will tell you this though, go back and actually read the posting guidelines, they can help immensely in your case.

Oh yeah, in reference to your little PM to me, there's more than just one like me in this crowd, we all smell a line of bull a mile away.

TA TA
Chris

Gen3_with_455 10-20-2003 11:24 PM

johnsongrass1 10-21-2003 03:42 PM

Do you think he left the car on the jack stands? That would cause a lot of wheel spin. :mwink:

Gen3_with_455 10-21-2003 03:44 PM