Make a poor man's billet 3rd brakelight. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2009, 07:56 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Make a poor man's billet 3rd brakelight.

The price of chrome or billet 3rd brake-lights gives me a headache so I decided to fabricate one of my own. I scrounged all the pieces for this one from my junk bins but my guess is it would cost you $3 or $4 if you had to go out and buy everything.

This piece of junk provided the basic idea for my light. It's from a TV antennae my brother-in-law tossed out years ago. The aluminum center section of this piece will make a nice "housing" for the light.

The major challenge on this little project was how to make a lens that would fit and stay secured inside of the tubular aluminum housing. To do this I used some broken and discarded plastic dropped ceiling lighting tile. The material looks like this.

To curve the lens to fit inside the tubing I used my heavy duty heat gun. I'm not certain, but I think a decent hair dryer would also do the trick...just take a little longer. I heated the plastic and bent it around a piece of pipe that was a slightly smaller diameter than the inside of the aluminum tubing.

You'll want to bend the lens material so it is just slightly larger than the aluminum tubing. That way, you can compress it enough to slide it inside the housing and when you loosen your grip it will hold itself in place by friction. Here's a shot of the lens being test fitted. Once I had the lens to the right shape I painted it using an aerosol can of Candy Apple Red paint (the type commonly used for models and sold in any hobby store).

You can "let the light out" in a number of different ways. I chose to cut three horizontal slits in the tubing using my 4 1/2 grinder. You could also drill holes or cut slits in the vertical direction rather than horizontal as I did. Note how I secured the tubing while it was being cut by clamping wood stops on every side.

I then sanded down all the rough edges on the slits, buffed up the housing, and inserted the painted lens. Presto...third brake light.

The bulbs for the unit are inserted from each end and are friction fit by wrapping foam around the base of the bulb. In place of socket connections, I soldered wires directly to the plus terminal on the bottom of the bulb and to the negative surround at the base of the bulb. The end caps for the unit will be fabricated from oak to match the oak trim which goes around the rear window. These pieces can not be made until the car comes back from the upholsterer and I know the exact size to make them. So I'll update this thread when the unit is finalized and installed.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Last photo:

You da man , now get really fancy and use LED's.

Vince
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 09:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
... now get really fancy and use LED's.
Interesting because I purposely used the incandescent bulbs. I'm running LED's in my regular tail lights and and also running an AudioVox cruise control. And I discovered when I put that combination in my '32 pickup, the cruise stopped working. Come to find out it is fairly well know problem. The Audiovox cruise must be able to sense the resistance in the brake light bulbs in order to operate properly. And the LED's provide so little resistance, you have to either put an incandescent bulb in the brake line or put in small resistors. I figured I'd just kill two birds with one stone...use incandescent bulbs instead of resisters and make them the third brake light.

So I had an ulterior motive for my bulb choice. But your point is a good one. Someone else doing this could easily figure out a way to stuff a row of LED strip lights into the tubing and fasten them in place.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Very nice Dewey. I think you would find that a regular hair dryer would not be strong enough to form the plastic. The industrial heat gun is the way to go.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Looking good there cboy. .Cole
Old 05-23-2009, 07:31 PM

Last photo:

At first I had some concern on what this would look like. Came out very nice! Job well done. You need to be applauded for your enginuity and creativeness.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:13 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Great Job

Shane
Old 05-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleen56
At first I had some concern on what this would look like. Came out very nice! Job well done. You need to be applauded for your enginuity and creativeness.
And his ability to squeeze a nickle until the buffalo screams........

Old 05-24-2009, 08:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
And his ability to squeeze a nickle until the buffalo screams........
I HAVE to squeeze my nickles...to afford my crazy upholsterer!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I'm not crazy, just colorful. (the voices made me say that)

Old 06-01-2009, 11:06 AM

3rd brake lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
The price of chrome or billet 3rd brake-lights gives me a headache so I decided to fabricate one of my own. I scrounged all the pieces for this one from my junk bins but my guess is it would cost you $3 or $4 if you had to go out and buy everything.

This piece of junk provided the basic idea for my light. It's from a TV antennae my brother-in-law tossed out years ago. The aluminum center section of this piece will make a nice "housing" for the light.

The major challenge on this little project was how to make a lens that would fit and stay secured inside of the tubular aluminum housing. To do this I used some broken and discarded plastic dropped ceiling lighting tile. The material looks like this.

To curve the lens to fit inside the tubing I used my heavy duty heat gun. I'm not certain, but I think a decent hair dryer would also do the trick...just take a little longer. I heated the plastic and bent it around a piece of pipe that was a slightly smaller diameter than the inside of the aluminum tubing.

You'll want to bend the lens material so it is just slightly larger than the aluminum tubing. That way, you can compress it enough to slide it inside the housing and when you loosen your grip it will hold itself in place by friction. Here's a shot of the lens being test fitted. Once I had the lens to the right shape I painted it using an aerosol can of Candy Apple Red paint (the type commonly used for models and sold in any hobby store).

You can "let the light out" in a number of different ways. I chose to cut three horizontal slits in the tubing using my 4 1/2 grinder. You could also drill holes or cut slits in the vertical direction rather than horizontal as I did. Note how I secured the tubing while it was being cut by clamping wood stops on every side.

I then sanded down all the rough edges on the slits, buffed up the housing, and inserted the painted lens. Presto...third brake light.

The bulbs for the unit are inserted from each end and are friction fit by wrapping foam around the base of the bulb. In place of socket connections, I soldered wires directly to the plus terminal on the bottom of the bulb and to the negative surround at the base of the bulb. The end caps for the unit will be fabricated from oak to match the oak trim which goes around the rear window. These pieces can not be made until the car comes back from the upholsterer and I know the exact size to make them. So I'll update this thread when the unit is finalized and installed.
Wow! looks great , that is true hot rodding ingenuity!
Old 06-01-2009, 09:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57fordft
Wow! looks great , that is true hot rodding ingenuity!
Thanks 57. What I like most about this site is posting up a small project like this and have it spark an idea in someone elses head who can then take it one or two steps further to make something REALLY good looking and inexpensive.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.