Make your own? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2005, 01:50 AM
Monster Mouse 436

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Make your own?

i guess this is a stupid question even though it is possible to make your own intake manifold, i wanted to know if it you could make a manifold that runs a four barrel in the middle and two two barrels on the ends like a 3x2 but not, and if possible to make how would i hook up the linkage for the carbs? thanks!
P.S. since i am currently attending wyotech in PA, and will be taking the street rod course i am just curious what will work.

(:)(::)(:) is close to the design i would like.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2005, 05:25 AM

Last photo:

Will the center 4 barrel have standard progressive linkage or will it be a 1-1 primary and secondary opening like the old Holley 660? I'm sure you can get it to work either way just pay attention to plenum design for proper mixture. I've been toying with a new street tunnel ram idea-long straight medium sized runners with a plenum that opens up in stages as rpm increases.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:38 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

With the design that you are considering, I am assuming that this will be a V8. Are you thinking that each barrel of each carb would feed a seperate cylinder.? If that is the case room for three carbs one being a 4bbl would be very tight when trying to match the runner lengths. You have to consider thermostat, distributor issues also.
For your linkage, if you are feeding seperate cylinders, it would have to be 1:1 or would that be 1:1:1
Since you are at WT, with some planning it sounds like it could be a challanging school project.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:38 AM
Monster Mouse 436

Last photo:

yes it will be a v-8 im sorry i forgot to mention that. i want to go as big as i can but due to lack of $ i wont be able to build the 436 that i want and i think i am going to have to settle for a 383. even though you can make hidious power with that motor i was looking for something a little out of the ordinary because i see the 383s everywhere. thank you both for the information.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:43 AM
Monster Mouse 436

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddbob
Will the center 4 barrel have standard progressive linkage or will it be a 1-1 primary and secondary opening like the old Holley 660? I'm sure you can get it to work either way just pay attention to plenum design for proper mixture. I've been toying with a new street tunnel ram idea-long straight medium sized runners with a plenum that opens up in stages as rpm increases.
im not sure yet as i am still undecided what brand carbs i will be using i cant decide between holly and a demon. i am leaning towards the 1-1 setup but i have never worked with carbs b/c i havent had the time or teaching to learn about how to work with them yet, but i am sure i will learn from the instructors at WTI.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:48 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant

Last photo:

Multi carb setup.

There are a few issues you'll need to over come. Running the 4bl in the center you would need to have both the primary and secondary barrels open at the same time to overcome distrabution problems.

Making the intake manifold is going to be your bigger problem. You'll want to set it up so the front half and rear half of the engine are seperate, but the front 2bl's of the 4bl carb will need to feed all 4 front cylinders, and the rear 2bl's of the 4bl will need to feed all 4 rear cylinders. Now for the tricky part getting the air flow equalized from cylinder to cylinder once you bring in the outer (front & rear) 2bl carbs.

I would honestly think even if you get the distrabution right, you're not going to have a very user friendly (drivability wise) combination.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:23 AM
its not my fault

Last photo:

why not this ( :: )( :: ) ?
Old 08-18-2005, 12:34 PM
Monster Mouse 436

Last photo:

just because i want to do something totally different.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:47 PM
Technical Support Barry Grant

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigedd396
just because i want to do something totally different.
There is nothing wrong with doing things different just to be different, or to use as a learning experience, but you also need to consider since you're going to school to be in this industry that there are lots of projects that you would enjoy to do, but will not allow you to keep food on your table.

I'd say from a design and enjoyment factor it would be a fun project. From the standpoint of being a realistic better performing combination it probably won't.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:52 PM
Monster Mouse 436

Last photo:

Thanks Tech@BG for the advice i will try this as just a learning experience, instead of my main fuel delivery assembly. youre definitely right about things that would be a good project and dont make money, its not worth the effort most of the time.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:49 AM

Last photo:

How about port fuel injection using the carbs for throttle bodies? THat may be easier.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I have made two intakes over my career. First was a tunnel ram for my old hemi that I welded up out of exhaust tubing - here is a shot of it in progress.

Next I cut that one down to a single 360deg single 4-bbl manifold as shown here for better low end performance

Finally I cast a custom aluminum one as describe here
Old 08-21-2005, 06:08 AM

Last photo:

2 plain 6.

Just checked out your dual plane bowtie 6 manifold, a work of art. But i have a question, is it my tired eyes, or are you pulling 3 firings in a row from each plane? i.e. 1high plane,5low plane,3l,6l,2h,4h. What gives? wouldn't it be better to skip from one plane to the next on each intake valve opening to maintain a moving column of air and thereby flatten the torque curve?
Old 08-21-2005, 08:40 AM
its not my fault

Last photo:

it looks pretty good to me

Last edited by SpankyNuts; 08-21-2005 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:49 AM

Last photo:

6 in a row

Looks real pretty to me to, just wondering about the science behind it. Learn or die, i'd rather know.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.