Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Making and Binding Floor mats
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Making and Binding Floor mats

Here's a pair of floor mats that have vinyl binding. While it's not hard to cut out these shapes to fit a certain area in the car, they tend to slip around. To stop this from happening, I first glued the carpet to a nib backed rubber product made specifically for this purpose. At the outside edge of this backing I had to cut the nibs off so I could sew the binding onto the carpet-backing sandwich. I did that with a sharp utility knife about 3/4" in from the edge and all the way around the perimeter.
I then cut 2 1/2" strips of contrasting vinyl and sewed them down to the carpet side of the assembly using a 3/8" seam all the way around. When I got to the beginning of the binding, I overlapped the end of the binding by 1", seamed the binding together, and finished sewing the binding down the rest of the way. After that, I pulled the binding over the edge, sprayed glue on the back of the nib-backed rubber and on the binding and glued it down to the rubber side, pulling the binding as tight as I could. after that, I made relief cuts in the binding at the corners to let the binding lay down flat. The next step is to flip the mat over to the carpeted side and sew as close to the inside edge of the binding as possible without sewing on the binding itself. This sews a seam through the binding on the back side of the mat and locks the binding in place. This procedure is called "sewing in the ditch". The last step is to trim off the excess binding on the back side of the mat. If you try to make floor mats, do yourself a favor and make the corners round. It makes sewing the binding a lot easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0376-1.JPG
Views:	725
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	24860   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0377-1.JPG
Views:	668
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	24861   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0381-1.JPG
Views:	800
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	24862   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0382-1.JPG
Views:	730
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	24863   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0383-1.JPG
Views:	835
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	24864  

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 10-13-2007 at 06:51 AM.