Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Making dies and rollers to bend square tubing
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 03:34 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Re: Making dies and rollers to bend square tubing

I am currently rebuilding a pair of '29 Studebaker ambulance/ paddywagon rear doors and need to make the tops of the doors arched. The vehicle is used for parades and special events and not a concourse show car so I can make the inner doors from steel tubing rather than wood and they will be much stronger and lighter than the near solid wood they now have. I am using the original extrerior door skins, windows, handles, and latches, just on a 1 1/4" tube frame. The doors are arched at the top and thats my problem.
I looked online for the correct rollers for my HF tube ring roller and found what I needed was just a bit pricey and way out of my limits. I stumbled into this site and this fourm and got my problem solved just by looking at the photos you have posted. You guys got me thinking:
I can make my own, so I went out to the shop, did some quick measurements and I can use 2" sch 80 pipe which has just under what the bearing size for the HF tube roller used so I can machine them to fit. Then I will use round flat 1/4" plates and weld them to it in the correct spacing needed after cotting a large enough hole in the center for the 2" pipe.
The drive roll will be done similarly but with a solid bar fitted with a 3/4" hole through it and welded into the 2" pipe. Then do the same round plate trick, drill a few holes for the set screws and they should work just fine...
This concept should work for most any square tubing up to 2"...

Ps: I did run across an outfit that makes weld on wings for the HF Tube Ring Roller so the rollers can be spread appart wider, same outfit that wanted $325 for rollers. The wings aren't cheap either...