Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Making dies and rollers to bend square tubing
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 06:59 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Yes and not quite a NO

Sorry guy's I don't have a camera so no photos!

The design did work and I was able to get the parts I needed rolled. I didn't take into account of warpage when I welded on the size plates for the tubing to ride in so the edge of the tubing was gauled. I think the reason they don't offer 1 1/4" square tube dies is because it pushes the roll bender to its limits even on just 16ga tubing.

The sch 80 2" pipe was just enough out of round to offer enough material to create a seat needed for the bearings on 50% of the inner serface to hold them in place.

The drive axle wheel was the biggest hastle making as I had to turn down material to make a filler piece for the 2" pipe, then bore it 53/64" for the drive axle, indexing, drilling, and taping, the 3 set screw holes to the drive axle took some time too.

I'll probably use the rollers only one more time, that being for rebuilding the back end of the truck. I already know the doors hang on the wooden structure and I'm sure that wood isn't in much better shape that the door wood was. So I'll bet I get to rebuild the truck body next when I trial fit the door frames this week.
The Following User Says Thank You to JRubin For This Useful Post:
19jameson86 (03-02-2013)