Making a Fast Remote Controlled Car - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2004, 12:03 PM
Duck Tape & WD 40

Last journal entry: No more Vehicle
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Making a Fast Remote Controlled Car

so I was wondering what I could do to make my remote control car faster? Would my Remote Control reach further if I hooked 2 batteries to it? oh and would the stuff used for stained glass work for soldering? any tips/ hints or links would be helpful

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2004, 01:19 PM

well first off, wat kind of car/truck do u have???like wat brand, and model? i take it that it is an electric since you stated the question about hooking up two batteries. Well, no, it wont make it go any further, it will most likely kill your electronics and motor! Basically your stuck with what you have on distance. If you have a radioshack type car, you are definitly stuck with what youve got, if you have a "real" RC brand(Traxxas, HPI, ect) than your able to upgrade to better electronic speed controlles(esc) and radios.

Hope I could help, I've been around RC for a long time, I have now 3 electric cars all run around 35-40mph on the radar, and 1 nitro car that I race on the weekend that probably does 60-65mph.

sorry I did'nt see your question about links....
For person to person help, like forums, I'm at www.rcwebboard.com and im also at www.wildhobbies.com My screennames both on those sites are bandit1. As soon as you state what kind of car you have, I can let you know how to make it faster, but I'll say now that radioshacks are not very upgradable in the speed department!
Old 12-01-2004, 01:46 PM
stuff'n things'n whatnot

Last photo:

If its a radioshack car, you are stuck with what you have, a heavy slow toy. I've recently got back into the hobby for some odd reason and have brought my old RC10 buggy out of its 6 year hibernation, picked up a plane this summer a Mini T this fall and recently bought a XXX-NT to fuel my thirst They are a bad habit but I could think of worse things to be addicted to
As for solder I always used to use a 60/40 rosin core, I dont know what is used in stained glass.

RdNekRatRodr what kind of cars do you have?
Old 12-01-2004, 02:01 PM
Got Ouzo for touzo

Last photo:

Never really been in to electric cars/trucks, I have 4 Nitro Monster trucks, and one on-road car, and I've been around RC for a long time.

This is how I understand Electrics work. The lower the "turns" in your electric motor, is a starting point for speed, the lower the turns, the faster your vehicle will be.... HOWEVER, The ESC (electronic speed control) will limit the faster motors. A low end ESC may only be good for 16 turns, running a 15 turn or lower will fry your ESC.

A high end ESC may have no turn limit, but running a crazy motor 10turns or lower (example, I'm sure since I was into electrics they have developed new motors) you may not actually gain speed, only lose acceleration, and not have the car to run with a mod motor. Or not have the batteries to run such a motor.

The lower the turn motor, the harder they are on batteries. So investing in a couple good sets of batteries would be a good start. I believe they were upwards of $60 for a good battery when I had a car 2400mAh or something near that. I see now they run 3000mAh +, I cannot imagine a price.

Then to charge these stupid expensive batteries, you need a peak charger to get max. performance, also a expensive piece.

This is why I do the nitro cars/trucks, add gas, go, and in most cases outrun any electric, any-day. Sure they're cool, and they can be very fast, but I'm a hotrodder, how fun is it when they're dead silent, and theirs no exhaust burning your eyes!

And if (like RdNekRatRodr says) you have a Radio Shack car, I just wasted my breathe, they don't get faster.

Here's the best RC site I've found. www.rcuniverse.com

bonuts
Old 12-01-2004, 02:07 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

I have a Traxxas t-maxx. 4wheel drive, 4-wheel donuts easy and flips doing wheelies. Did it one too many times and broke the body mounts. Runs on Nitromethane.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:40 PM

scott, i have a rc10b4, evader st, rs4 3 ss, and a tamiya TL01.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:04 PM
Kill It & Grill It

Last journal entry: New door panels
Last photo:

I have had electric and Nitro trucks. Both have their advantages. My Tamiya clodbuster was 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel steered, adn dual electric motors that topped it out at about 15 mph.. but this thing would climb anything. On the other hand my T-Maxx tops out at about 60mph and doesn't climb very well at all. it just breaks loose and spins when trying to climb in dirt or sand. They are both a blast in the snow though, donuts like crazy.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:50 AM

Last photo:

If it has a 'turbo' setting where you can get extra speed, you can break it down to the circuit board and use a volt meter to find the 'turbo' circuit. When you've located a power feed that is 'on' when the 'turbo' function is enabled, you can tie that into a model rocket ignitor to light a rocket that you securely mount to the frame of the car. If you want 2 rockets, make SURE you wire it in series, NOT parallel. If you wire it in parallel, after the charge reaches the first ignitor and burns it, your circuit is broken and no more current can flow to the other ignitor. This causes one rocket to light and send your car into an out-of-control spin that is impossible to control.

Although I have never quite had success with either of the 3 "Rocket Car's" I have come close.

MoocH
Old 12-02-2004, 08:47 PM

Last photo:

I'm still drawing plans for a rocket car. Hopefully it will be done by spring. I'd like to see 100+mph before it hits something and explodes.

Rc cars are the only legal way to "transport glutius maximus" at ridiculous speeds on public roads, and live to tell the tale.
Larry
Old 12-02-2004, 09:08 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

My RC10T2 is good for about 40 mph, 10 turn D2Copperhead, Tieken Titan speed controller. Eats batterys fast though. When I race in the competitions held by a shop in West Chester I run a 19 turn Speed Gems.

Last edited by Ghetto Jet; 12-02-2004 at 09:18 PM.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.