Making A Fiberglass Console For The First Time - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2004, 10:23 AM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Making A Fiberglass Console For The First Time

Okay,I've been searching around on this site and have found some excellent information on fiberglassing,but I don't really understand half of it.I've done numerous searches on the internet and have come up with basically the same info,but still,what does it all mean!?

Here's my situation -

I have a 1992 Ford Ranger XLT and I am going to attempt this with the original seats.Now,the last pic on that link is what it will hopefully look like when I'm finished.What I want is a custom console that will stretch from basically the firewall panel all the way to the back of the cab.Right where it goes between the seats is where I want it to rise a bit so I can take advantage of that being extra storage space.BTW,my truck is a 5 speed and I will have to make an extra hole for the shifter.I have found this article and this article on fiberglass part making.

Now,so I have my sources.Right now,I just need a list of the materials that I'll need to do this task.I plan on buying a block of styrofoam and carving away at it to get the shape that I want.This console doesn't have to be perfect,but I don't want it to look like a piece of crap.Know what I mean?The link above which goes to The Ranger Station's site is more on the lines of what I'll be doing,since they made those consoles for Ranger's.

So,going by HK's list in his article in the Knowledge Base,here's the materials that I'll need -

Fiberglass weave or cloth*
A paint roller with a section of PVC pipe over the roller, snugly fit and coated with separating agent or wax.*
Plastic filler spreaders
Natural bristle 3-5" paintbrushes with bristles held by adhesive, not crimped.
4 small plastic pails
Rubber gloves
Smock*
Old clothes
Extra set of helping hands
Gel coat*
Spray gun (Is this just a regular paint sprayer,such as this).

Even though that's the list for making a custom hood,I think that it's basically the same for making a custom console.Now,all of the items marked with an "*" show that I don't know what the heck that it is and I don't know where to get it.A brief explination on each would really help.Can most of these items be bought at the local paint or hardware store?

I really don't know what I'm doing at this point and I don't really know if it would be worth the trouble,but I at least want to give it a try.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Nightrain

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2004, 04:28 PM

Last photo:

The difference between weave or cloth- Both are available from automotive paint and supply houses, you can get it in bulk from marine and boat repair places. I get mine off the roll at a f-glass repair outfit north of here. The woven glass is what you want to use as your first layer in your finished part, it absorbs resin well and will not leave a "cloth pattern " shadow in the finished part. The cloth can then be used (optional) to bulk up the part making it stronger.
Seperating agent- is used on your mold to keep the finished piece from sticking to the mold- in the old days we used Johnsons Paste Wax- but you have to get it all off the finished part, lots of wax remover and cleaner.
Gelcoat is the first thing that gets put into the mold to make finished part. It is similar to a thick paint, you can make it with resin, talk and color, or you can buy it in quart+ cans ready made in several colors. It is what you see as color in the finished part.
The spray gun you need has to have a large nozzle (like a primer or undercoat gun). You only need it for the gelcoat and that can be carefully brushed on.
Smock is an apron to keep all the nasty- sticky- hairy- smelly-itchy goo off your clothing and person.
You should really get a handbook on the subject, there are several for the novice. It would save you time and money.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:24 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Read this thread

http://hotrodders.com/showthread.php...berglass+video

Also I highly recommend buying these videos;

2nd, 3rd, & 4th videos @ this site.

http://www.fibreglast.com/showproduc...ideos-118.html

Learn from the master himself Big Daddy Ed Roth - this video is worth its weight in gold just for the privelege of seeing Ed do his thing. He takes all of the mystery out of the process,

http://www.ratfink.org/ "How to Fiberglass Bodies"

Get this book;

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...20854?v=glance Companion book listed below is a good reference too but the yellow one is the best if you just get one.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:31 AM

hey

how do you paint a racecar ?
Old 03-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Cox Custom Cars

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayfieldRacer22
how do you paint a racecar ?

carefully

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.