making a fiberglass replica of a metal hood. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2005, 01:36 AM
Muscle car fan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

making a fiberglass replica of a metal hood.

Ok, this is way out there, as i'm not sure of cost or what all might be involved but here it goes anyway.

I am currently working on a metal coweled hood, cut a 2' section out of another hood and had it welded it to my existing hood. Ran into a ton of problems so far, the hoods have a rib running down the center so they don't like to be bent into the shape of a cowl...So there is alot of low spots where it was bent where it shouldn't have, also the friend that did the welding i think went at it a little hot and warped some of it, so there is not alot of kitty hair to even out everything so it looks allright, and at the moment it looks pretty good, but i don't imagine it will stay that way for long. The metal itself is fairly flimsy in spots, and moves more than anything i have put fiberglass filler on before...so i don't think it will probably stay for a long long time. I was thinking i could use fiberglass mat over the entire cowl to add some strength to it, but not too sure about that either.

So here is the question, once the hood is how i want it to look, how difficult would it be to make a mold and then make a replicated hood intirely out of fiberglass from that mold? How much approx would it cost to do so?

Advertisement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2005, 05:10 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Fiberglass hood

What you contemplate is very do-able..now as far as cost..dunno..

Once you have the existing hood shaped to your satisfaction..making sure you have gotten rid of any defects as they will show up in the final product then we take a mold off of the existing..

Wax the existing with mold release wax and then spray the hood with tooling gel coat...then do a layup of several layers of glass..once the glass has been laid up then make several wood ribs to glass to the hood mold to help keep the mold stiff and from shifting or warping..these ribs can be rein-forced with metal if you are desiring to make a production mold..

Once the mold has been made then you can make the finished part..and you can layup the finished part in the weight that you like..real thin for a race part....somewhat heavier for a street show part...

there have been a number of posts on fiberglass so do a search for suppliers of materials and such..

Why go to all this trouble..If you make a nice part that fits a car of common interest then you may sell some of these hoods and recoup some of your expenses...

OMT

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.