making glasspacks louder? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2006, 08:59 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

making glasspacks louder?

growing up as kid I remember my grandpa telling me how him and his friends use to take old style glass packs and take out the tube and fiberglass matting and then run two of the deep sounding piano wires length wise down the glass pack. he said it would vibrate the strings really loud when they would back off the throttle while driving his old flathead ford in Boise. If anybody knows if this works or knows how to do it please let me know before I go out and start hacking up good glass-packs.thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2006, 09:47 PM

Last photo:

We used to fill em with old drain oil. Work it around inside till the packing is all soaked. Then install them... They smoke like He!! for a while, then get real loud.. A lot less effort for the same results...
Old 01-06-2006, 09:53 PM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

A trick my dad told me that they used to do was to drive the car around for a while and make sure the mufflers are good and hot. Then before they get the chance to cool down, put a water hose in the tail pipe and put some cold water in there to crack the glass.
According to my dad, it makes it REAL loud.
Id just be careful about the water in the tail pipe though

Brad
Old 01-06-2006, 11:37 PM

Last photo:

They'll likely get louder in a couple of months all by themselves.

As far as piano wires, my guess would be that a wallered-out glasspack would probably drown out anything a piano wire could do, but I don't know for sure, so once they get old and rusty, why not try it.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:10 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Are glass packs still being made? Dan
Old 01-07-2006, 01:48 AM

Last photo:

louder glass packs

thanks for the replies and yes they still make glass packs. The franchise parts store in my state is schucks auto supply and you can get some cherry bombs for about 20.00 a piece. I got a used pre-bent duel exhaust system that has the glass packs and dumps over the rear end of my truck for 50.00.
The best part is I got it from the guy who sold me my engine swap headers,so I got a complete exhaust system for 150.00. Except his s10 was a blazer and mine is a short bed std cab and my gas tank is located differently than his. he also sold me a factory limited slip but after reading through the forum it sounds like I'm better off finding a complete rear end with a limited slip.
In the the near future I think I'm going to look for some pretty quiet mufflers cause I'm going to go for the sleeper effect when I have a fresh motor, but until then I just thought it would be cool to hear a screamin v8 than another buzzing import.

thanks again for the anwsers everyone!
Old 01-07-2006, 05:40 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

When I was a kid, flat head Fords were the real noise makers. Even if glass packs were available, most of us could not afford them so straight pipes were the game. To get the bad rapping sound when letting off the gas, we would install a T in the wind shield wiper vacuum lines and attach a small valve we could reach under the lip of the dash. This big vacuum leak would cause a staccato of back firing that you will never hear today. If my feeble memory serves me correctly, glass packs did not make the scene until the 60s. A coarse steel wool was used in the early deep throated mufflers and those burned out pretty quick in comparison to the infamous glass packs.

Adding water to hot glass packs to break the glass!!! That breaks me up!!!

Trees
Old 01-07-2006, 09:20 AM

Last wiki edit: Calculating tire size
Last journal entry: Changes...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

if you are trying to make your glasspacks louder why not just remove them?
Old 01-07-2006, 09:37 AM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

or have the best of both worlds and put dumps on it or cut outs

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...up?Ntt=exhaust cut outs

I had a 75 Suzuki T-500 two stroke twin{.030 over} that had the baffles beat or rusted out and you could not hear your self think (sucked for sneaking out) I d have to push A mile to be sure I got far enough away
anyway

I got the Idea to put steel wool up there( i was 15)
that and some fine mesh grating too keep it in
WHOOOO HOOOO! nice & quiet i got about 2 miles up the road and stopped for a stop sign looked in the mirror though it was smoking a bit

looked down and there was two jet flames coming out I made it to this body shop (had no tools on me) parked far away shut it off and it looked like two REALLY BIG bic lighters coming out the pipes

I ripped the mesh off and got out in the road and blew out 2 flaming wads of steel wool and left theft them there

Funny now
yea
then NO!
SR66

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 01-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Glass-packs and turn-downs? UGH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.7s10
I got a used pre-bent duel exhaust system that has the glass packs and dumps over the rear end of my truck for 50.00.

I just thought it would be cool to hear a screamin v8 than another buzzing import.
I made the mistake of using turn-downs right after glass-packs on my Cleveland-powered 1966 Galaxie. (Now there's a sleeper!)

All I got was a whole lot of vibration inside the car ... to the point where it would vibrate the barettes right out of the G/F's hair!

When you tried to talk it was just like beating your fist on your chest while trying to speak.

They ONLY sounded good at say 2000-3000 RPM ... and had no "rap-rap-rap" sound when you backed off.

You need tailpipes to get that sound, and to keep (both sound and carbon monoxide) out of the passenger compartment.

Glasspacks are great on short-stroke engines with light flywheels/small convertors. The engine RPM's change very suddenly, and you get some great "snap" from the pipes. 289/302 Fords, 327 Chevies for example.

Last edited by 66GMC; 01-07-2006 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Added Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

The best sounding glasspacks in the 60's are still being made..... Smitthys. I have run a water hose up the tail pipe on every set of glasspacks that I have ever had. Just run the car untill the glass packs are hot then shove a water hose up each tail pipe. The cold water on the hot fiberglass packing cause it to turn loose some of the fiberglass batting and when you run it it will burn out or blow out the tail pipe thus making the mufflers louder.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:24 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Warning: If you are unable to understand the use of sarcasm as a communication tool then stop reading here...I think turn downs are so cool because when you fire up your car at the car show and throw a few revs you raise up a big dust cloud that can settle on the cars that are parked around you. You can make alot of new friends that way. Why not just use a section of 3 or 4 " pipe at the end of your exhaust system and not waste the time and money on buying the glasspaks, just to remove the sound deadening material ( i know there is a perforated tube in them,but we want NOISE). Also, the change in your low end crisp throttle response will be huge. (notice I didn't say good) .I think you should just run some 4" pipe right off the collector and route it back so it dumps out just in front of the rear wheels. See the flames in your mirror as they come out! Dirt track date, FULL BLAST! Ok I'm done. Just had to have some fun on a sunday morning. I always just waited until the 'glass burned out.

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 01-11-2006, 09:23 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees
When I was a kid, flat head Fords were the real noise makers. Even if glass packs were available, most of us could not afford them so straight pipes were the game. To get the bad rapping sound when letting off the gas, we would install a T in the wind shield wiper vacuum lines and attach a small valve we could reach under the lip of the dash. This big vacuum leak would cause a staccato of back firing that you will never hear today. If my feeble memory serves me correctly, glass packs did not make the scene until the 60s. A coarse steel wool was used in the early deep throated mufflers and those burned out pretty quick in comparison to the infamous glass packs.

Adding water to hot glass packs to break the glass!!! That breaks me up!!!

Trees

Old rodding tricks rock!

last year I tried making a decent flowing muffler for my 8hp briggs by riveting a small soup can inside a big one (making a stubby glasspack essentially) with steel wool instead of fiberglass. The tin didn't take the heat too well but it had a nice deep tone and probably much better flow characteristics than the stock briggs muffler. Right now it's straightpiped. The neighbor's don't like it but they haven't complained. Once they do I'll put a muffler on it so I'll still be on good terms.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:33 AM

last year I tried making a decent flowing muffler for my 8hp briggs

I had a Cushman motor scooter back in the early 50's. The exhaust port was either 1" or 1 1/2" pipe thread (CRS). I put a T on it and used automotive flex pipe to make duals. I ended the system with big Echo Can type tips that must have been 2 1/2" diameter and 6" long.
That thing actually had a "boom" sound to it that was really cool.

But I think that those of you who want really loud should either remove your mufflers completely, or put some really short glasspacks (8X2 1/2") or resonators in there.
My preference is really quiet, so I don't see red and blue lights in my mirrors. I run DynoMax Hemi Super Turbos on my blown 55, and I can leave a traffic light along side of a cop car with no worries....But I remember a day when I had 16" steelpacks
Old 01-13-2006, 12:15 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by THADD
My preference is really quiet, so I don't see red and blue lights in my mirrors.
Yeah ... and things have changed since we were kids.
The RCMP have an all-emcompassing generic "stunting" charge now that they can lay for everything from chirping the tires to waving with both hands and sticking out your tongue ...

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.