Thread: making headers
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysaric
the headers wont be 3 it will be 2 but the exhaust will be 3. ill probley use mild steal for the headers. but im not really interested in going to have somone else bend the pipe for me I would really like to bend my own pipe because it wont be the last time i need pipe bent. Plus shop labor fees here in CA are not cheap.
WOW..2" header tubes?..are you building a 1500 c.i. diesel?..lol..

Your best bet is to find a 3" die with the radius you want and build a bender like the pro tools or JD2 or 3 models,plans can be had pretty easy for them but you'll have to "up" the measurements for 3",any i've seen only handle 2-2 1/2" tube/pipe.

You'll also have to definetly go hydraulic on it,i doubt you can bend the stainless by hand unless you are using very thin wall which would be what is best for exhaust...
again,,what is the wall thickness of it..?..and is it pipe or tube size?...pipe will measure exactly 3" inside the pipe..tube will measure exactly 3" outside the tube,,you must know this when buying a bender or die for it,there is a big difference and if using a pipe die on tube or vise versa,it will kink and bend flat.
If it's thin wall,look into a mandrel bender for bigger exausts for diesels,they are common to be 3" or bigger,my 2000 F250 7.3 was 3" and 3 1/2" factory,upgraded to stainless 4" straight through from magnaflow,and i see alot of 5" and 6" exhaust sold for them,maybe copy the designs or find one used for sale,but i have a feeling that'll be almost impossible to find in your price range

A regular bender of any sorts will kink and deform the bends in common thin wall exhaust,so a mandrel type would be needed to make nice bends.
But again we don't know what size wall thickness you are dealing with.....

Don't do like some people i've seen try...never heat stainless up with a torch to bend,it'll crack and split,plus make it prone to rusting easily