Making HOK basecoats more like a true kandy job, is it possiable? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2005, 10:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Making HOK basecoats more like a true kandy job, is it possiable?

I was wondering if anyone had any luck making the HOK basecoat kandys (i will be using Tangerine) look more like a real kandy paint job?

I have read some of you use a intercoat clear between kandy coats, do you think this would help the basecoat kandys?

The color chips in the book are shown over a black and over a white base but there is not a major differance after the recommended 3 basecoats, this makes me believe the intercoats probably would not add much if any depth to the paint.

the candys also tend to show the metallic better, would adding flakes or pearl to a intercoat clear or the 3 basecoats help?

I know I am asking for the impossiable but I am a little afraid of trying my first kandy job on a motorcycle. The sheetmetal doesn't scare me as bad as the frame I just dont think I could get it perfectly even around all the tubing.

One other idea was to use the Tangerine kandy over the Tangerine basecoat. Maybe only two or three coats of the kandy so it doesen't make the overall color to dark of a orange.

Thanks everyone for any help
Dave

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2005, 10:14 PM

You've got me lost. HOK candy is a true candy. You can make it a basecoat style by taking the concentrate and mixing it with the SG 100 intercoat. You will be limited on the amount of coats you put on by doing that. Get the HOK instruction book. Believe me, they have everything you need to know in it. Don't trust anyone, including me, trust the book!!
Old 04-07-2005, 10:23 PM

Last photo:

Putting candy over the base works great and it will give you a true candy look . To compensate for the color getting darker than you like you can shoot a couple coats of pc1 silver white pearl over the base to add a little sparkle. The base being a similar color to the candy will make it much eaiser to get a great color with no blotches.

doing a bike inc. the frame shouldnt be hard GO FOR IT

Dave
Old 04-07-2005, 10:34 PM

Last photo:

AC/DC ,I think rsss396 is going to use a HOC product called basecoat candy. From what I'v read its sim to shimrin basecoat but gives a candy look.The base used (blk/wht) doesn't affect the color as much as much as on a true candy. It's suppose to be more forgiving than a true candy .

Dave
Old 04-07-2005, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDEIGHT
AC/DC ,I think rsss396 is going to use a HOC product called basecoat candy. From what I'v read its sim to shimrin basecoat but gives a candy look.The base used (blk/wht) doesn't affect the color as much as much as on a true candy. It's suppose to be more forgiving than a true candy .

Dave

Got ya, been a while since I've used my HOK stuff. My brain is a touch bit slow these days!!
Old 04-07-2005, 10:59 PM

Last photo:

yes, the candy basecoats they offer is nothing more than a mix of sg100, candy concentrates and a mixture of different pearls to simulate a candy look. they lack the depth and sparkle of the true candys. if your looking to make it look a little deeper then after you pray your 3 coats of the KBC mix a little contentrate of the same color into some sg100 and put a coat or two on top. this will add a slight amount of depth but do nothing for the sparkle. you really need that orion silver under a true candy to get that effect. anything you mix into the KBC will change the look of it so you just need to expierement with it. anything like pearls, etc you spray on top of the KBC will totally kill the depth. you want to spray the KBC over a similar color solid base, NOT white or they tend to be blotchy. if i were you and you want that true candy look then spray the true candy. the KBC's really aren't much easier. for a beginner i would do as stated above and mix the concentrates into some sg100 and spray. i spray it like this all the time. hok recommends you dont go over 5 coats of the 100 or it builds too thick so i just overreduce it with fast reducer, usually 2 or 3:1 and add 5-10% clearocat catalyst. this way you dont get as much of a film build. when done allow atleast a few hours to overnight before clearing to let all the solvents completely flash. if you lay the color on gradually then its really not hard at all especially on bike parts plus the tangarine color is one of the easier ones to spray. it doesn't tend to be blotchy like some of the others.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:46 PM

Last photo:

thanks mrclean6 and hardeight,

I going to order some pearl or flakes and try mixing it with the basecoat kandy on a test panel then put a couple coats of the kandy concentrates over it.

I know I should just try shooting it with the kandy concentrates but I don't paint very often and shooting the frame in some spots is a challange.
If this all goes well then maybe my next one!

Thanks again guys
Dave
Old 04-08-2005, 06:58 PM

Last photo:

stay away from the flakes. try some white ice pearl and mix it in. these are made of glass and are very reflective like flake but not chunky and should give you a little sprakle. regular pearls aren't going to do it. the kbc's already have alot of pearl in them and you want more of a metallic look and the ice pearls will do that.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:31 AM

Last photo:

thanks mrclean, will try the ice pearl for sure.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.