Making Louvers on body surfaces - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2007, 01:33 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Making Louvers on body surfaces

Hi Folks,

I've noticed that a lot of custome cars have louvered surfaces in hoods, tailgates, etc that can be pretty cool. I have a more practical reason for asking this, I need to open the side of the cab of my 51 Ford F1 truck (like the spot on the '56 truck just forward of the pasengers door) to run the heater fresh air duct to (I've converted it to a tilt front so the long stock duct going to the top of the front fender is long gone).

Anyway, I'm wondering how it's done! Is there a book, or a link, or anything anyone can hook me up with that will tell me how the louvers are cut and made on a piece of body sheet?

Thanks,
Dan

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2007, 03:33 AM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

The ones I have seen were done in a huge press. You send the panels to them and they "punch" the louvers into them (like hoods). A place in Memphis did this for the shop my dad worked in 30 years ago.

Maybe there is something more modern I am not familiar with?

You can also buy small square panels with the louvers in them. That might be an option for your cab. Just buy a panel the size you need, chop the cab open, and weld it in like a patch panel.

For our tailgates, there is a "skin" you buy that has the louvers in it already and you weld it on.

My truck has the louvers for the heater, so I know what you are talking about. Mine is stock, however, so it is all still hooked up.

Anone else have other ideas?
Old 06-03-2007, 07:00 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Firewall
Last photo:

The dedicated louver press with different dies for different sizes and shapes of louvers is the best, IMHO.

More recently, dies for bead rollers have hit the market.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT

I would think that making them all the same length would be difficult.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:33 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last photo:

I tried to send this in a PM, but I was unsuccessful for some reason.

Anyway, the louvers appear to be in the cab sheet metal. There is something screwed to it on the back side though.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:52 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Brian

Hey Brian,

Thanks fo rthe reply and the great photo. I think the boot fo rthe heater is on the other side and what the screws hold.

I'll figure something out...maybe even a vent door from an old Studebaker that opens out, or something bizzare like that!

Thanks again
Dan
Old 06-03-2007, 08:59 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last photo:

No clue what is in there. I have not had that part of my truck apart. The PO redid the heater and it works great. Don't fix what isn't broke. LOL

Here is a pic of the heater box and the under dash ducts, if you need to see that too. I also have a defrost on mine. I believe it is all stock. Well...actually the heaters were options back then. I think there were different designs installed by the dealer.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:20 PM

Last photo:

Beautiful job!

Wow your truck looks great! They are so nice when they are all done!

I've been working on mine for two years. I'm a retired Navy pilot/single dad/self employer contractor. So, it's the same old restoration story with me as everyone else - all it takes is time and money.

I have been refurbishing all teh components myself. I've redone everything including my heater. I've completely rewired and restored the dash. I just finished my drive train - a Ford FE 390 With Police Interceptor Crank and pistons, and all Cobra Jet Top end. I've got a newly rebuilt C6 and a 9 3/8 rear geared at 2.79 to 1.

I had a lot of challenges getting shift to work (leaving in the stock shift and column) with the big tranny, getting throttle linkages to work and designing an exhaust system. Too much engine and not enough room.

Anyway, I'm about to pull of the box to redo and I'm working on redesigning the "apparatus" that tilts my clip up.

If I can figure out how to do it, I'll send a couple photos.

Thanks,
Dan[/IMG]
Old 06-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last photo:

We love pics. It sounds like you will have a sweet ride when you get done. Plus you can say you did it yourself.

Don't be fooled by the inside. My truck is rough. Some parts look good is all. It is basically stock. The Y-block runs great. It is fun to drive like it is though.

I have some serious health issues now and have not been able to do the work on it that I want to. Maybe in time.....

My website: (click on the thumbnails)

http://home.centurytel.net/brian_b/56/index2.htm
Old 06-03-2007, 09:32 PM

Last photo:

Attaching photo's

Hey Brian!

Can ya tell me how to attach photo's to these replys? I'll send you a few. I think you'll be amazed at evolution the cabs went through in 5 years!
Thanks Dan.

If you want, you can send me a real e-mail address and I'll send them that way
Old 06-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last photo:

To attach them to a reply:

They either need to be hosted online somewhere (most of mine are on photobucket) or you can attach the image from your laptop to your reply.

As you are typing a reply...scroll down and it says attach image (or something like that). Just browse around on your computer till you find it and upload.

I prefer the photobucket myself.

Also you can start a project journal and a photo page here on this site. That is a bit more work, but is a great asset to others as they read through them later.

Look to the right of my name in my post and you will see my project journal and my pictures.

I know what the 51s look like. I am on another site that has hundreds of old ford trucks. The 53 was the million dollar cab and mine evolved from that one.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:45 PM

Last photo:

Such a moron

I'll give it a shot

Each site seems to work differently so here goes...
Ah found it in the "attachments management."

And, you wanna talk about rough
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7a. Heater.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	21618   Click image for larger version

Name:	7b. Heater.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	21619   Click image for larger version

Name:	4. Whole Dash.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	21620   Click image for larger version

Name:	4a. Dash Restoration Complete 1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	21621   Click image for larger version

Name:	6a. New Engine Installation.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	21622  

Old 06-03-2007, 09:48 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last photo:

You know...I can't see the body from those, but that does not look to rough to me. Believe me, some people start with a pile of rust and try to build a truck out of it with baling wire and bubblegum.

That engine looks sweet for sure.

What are your plans for the truck? Show, driver, both?
Old 06-03-2007, 10:19 PM

Last photo:

Plan?

I'll attach a picture of the outside, actually I'm being facisious...it's not really too bad. I'm finding the challenge to be undoing all the other REALLY stupid stuff the last "restorer" did.

This truck got restored in 1983. Then the owner stripped a timing chain and gears. Well, having put the new engine mount system for the late model engine, they couldn't get the pan off without pulling the engine. So, they didn't! They just put a new set of gears on and started driving. I figure they got about 40 miles on it. Then it sat on the side of their house from 1984 until I bought it two years ago. I'm removing and redoing everything. I have my wiring done, all my dash finished, original steering column and wheel reinstalled, wipers, heater, lights, sun visor, and all the interfaces (throttle, shift, 12 volt elect) too. Now am going to start on the body. I'll pull off the bed next week.

I restored a '55 in 1980 and again a 56 on 1997. I ended up selling both of them and after looking at prices on e-bay, could kick myself.

I originally bought this one to restore as a driver, but I wanted it to look really nice. One o fthe reasons this one worked out so well is because most of the oarts were on it and in fairly good working order (like door handles and regulators, locks, gauges, etc. I'm just taking EVERY part out and refurbishing it. Plan to keep this one.

So, I'm spending a lot of time on weird little things I like, but doing it so on the outside appearance is original, but on the guts are all new. Also, there are a lot of do dads I like. I will never cut a hole in a dash, but have installed things in round about ways. For example, I wanted a clock. So I found a wind up 51 clock that matches my gauges and bought a spare ash tray to mount it in. I also have the stock ash tray all restored so I can swap them out going back to stock, and having not damaged the dash (you may have noticed in the last pictures.

The engine just kind of evolved into a monster. I took it out and my neighbor brought me a set of chrome valve covers. The rest as they say is history - A little chrome here a stronger part there. I never intended to go that far but just went kind of nuts.

Anyway...ramble ramble. I want a good strong driver that I can drive down the boulevard during our summer hot rod night or to sunday brunch, and have it look really nice. But I have the feeling that I'll probably get talked into entering it in a show just for fun.

Here's a few more pics (you created a monster)

Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tilt on truck.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	21623   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Engine Installation Complete Feb 11, 2007 2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	21624   Click image for larger version

Name:	12. The old '51 Ford Day 1 Easter 2005.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	21625  
Old 06-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last photo:

Cool story. It is in really good shape from what I can see.

I love those wheels!!!!

Like I said...mine is pretty close to stock. My dash was cut by two owners ago to install a radio. the PO (previous owner) fixed a ton of the bad stuff on mine. I cant see where my dash was cut. He did a really nice job on it. he also welded new cab corners in. I has new wiring everywhere. It needs some more minor mechanical work, but nothing major.

Here is what wheels are on mine:

I hope to start body and paint in late July. That all depends though.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:43 PM

Last photo:

Rare wheels

Are those the stock wheels with beauty rims? I know what you mean about getting this stuff done. I luckly have a great doctor and health care at the VA and they have kept me going despite all the "Service" injuries. I hope things go great with you.

I'll send a picture of my '55 ford. I restored it in 1980. It's funny because even though it was 25 years ago, you had to go out o the junk yards then to find parts. Now the computer sites and e-bay have made getting parts a snap.

The color on the 55 is the same I am going to paint my 51. Behind it is a speed boat my dad made back in the late 1940s. There were about 100 of these made by guys who worked at CONVAIR, and they were fashioned after Kris Kraft lines but were the first fiberglass hulled boats to be made in southern Calif. I restored the boat in 1979 and it matched my truck. I plan to do that again. It's going to need restoring again too. I left it with a family member in 2002 when I shipped out for Afghan. and she moved it out to the open and left it uncovered for 18 months. When I go thome it was full of oily water and almost completely destroyed.

Gotta run...it's been great chatting with you. Take care and if you would like to write again, you can cathc me here of directly at:sandidande@cox,net.

Best wishes,
Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	'55 Ford and Boat.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	21626  

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.