Hot Rod Forum banner

making suicide doors. what problems can i expect

16K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  deadbodyman 
#1 ·
my friend has chevy 1970 4door impala and we were gonna make suicide doors on it. since school is out now, how long should it take?

#28 ·
Irelands child said:
Heck Brian, on a semi fixed income, I have enough problems feeding the 10+/-% ethanol garbage gas to that 9.4 mpg V10 that sits under the hood - and that is not a complaint, just a fact of life :sweat: :D

Come on now, you don't have your priorities straight, FIRST you have to make it look cool. :) I have a co-worker who has made comments on how they can't make the car payments on their new car yet talk all the time about putting some custom wheels on it. :rolleyes:

Brian

#29 ·
MARTINSR said:
Come on now, you don't have your priorities straight, FIRST you have to make it look cool. :) I have a co-worker who has made comments on how they can't make the car payments on their new car yet talk all the time about putting some custom wheels on it. :rolleyes:

Brian
Yeah, I keep getting reminded about priorities on a daily basis - paint the bed room, regrout the bath tile, etc, etc, etc------------but I also have to feed the '31 which is a lot more important :nono: :D

Dave W

#30 ·
you guys sound like a couple of old farts talking about those young whipper snappers. ;) ;) ;)

suicide doors look good on the right vehicle, lambos don't look good on anything.
lambo doesn't use lambo's anymore.

but ic, your f350 would look really really fine with them... :thumbup:

#31 ·
ogre said:
you guys sound like a couple of old farts talking about those young whipper snappers. ;) ;) ;)

suicide doors look good on the right vehicle, lambos don't look good on anything.
lambo doesn't use lambo's anymore.

but ic, your f350 would look really really fine with them... :thumbup:

Beauty - that's in the eye of the holder and I behold .... u gel ly for my F350.

And as far as old - Brian might be getting there, but me, never

#32 ·
Reverse doors on an Impala 4dr

xlondon_macbethx said:
hahaha nice. thats what we thought too. but you know how the old impalas kind of have that small tear drop shape in the fenders. well his whole side got killed by an old lady, and we have to put a whole new body to the side of it. we couldnt even figure out how to bang it out. its just that bad and the lines are so subtle to the tear. so we figured we could just for fun do the suicide doors at the same time.
:thumbup:
Just a thought I had reading your thread, if it is all for fun now, buy a set of reverse hinges for the one side and look for doors and a rear jam for a 2dr or streatch out the door and make a sleek rod out of the barge. Some of my best work was on projects that I took a big risk on a low dollar vehicles.

#34 ·
You can expect a major PITA ....it does LOOK cool but thats it...its not very practical....
if your driving down the road and you notice your doors not closed all the way NEVER open it before you stop completely it'll tear right off.
Its a big job for a pro,you might give up and scrap the car....I'd get a kit to start with if I were you.

Attachments

#35 ·
My big problem with suicide doors is that they only "look cool" when they are open. And open doors break the lines of the car all up so leaving doors, hoods or trunks open is a no no if you want your car to look good. So when does anyone see these "cool" suicide doors, for 12 seconds as you get in and out of the car? I say put the work into something else that has more of a pay off, like DETAIL.

Brian

#36 ·
MARTINSR said:
My big problem with suicide doors is that they only "look cool" when they are open. And open doors break the lines of the car all up so leaving doors, hoods or trunks open is a no no if you want your car to look good. So when does anyone see these "cool" suicide doors, for 12 seconds as you get in and out of the car? I say put the work into something else that has more of a pay off, like DETAIL.

Brian
The exact reason I haven't installed the sides of my hood - I have lots of engine compartment detailing - yeah the tops are on now (heck, I didn't even paint the hood sides so I wouldn't have to be too careful storing them)

Dave W

#37 ·
Reverse doors

Reverse opening doors are very cool, and easy to get out of with a lowered car and running boards. We "Cut up" a friends '38 Chevy coupe, to get the look then he chose to remove the door handles, so you can't tell going down the road anyway. My coupe is a ***** to get my big feet out of, and my wife (long legged as she is) finds it easy(er) to get in and out of without touching the running boards of suicide door cars. I do firmly agree with the safety pin to keep the door closed while in motion. But custom is custom, being different means a chance to put in bear claw latches and quality hinges. (See a little off the top-http://streetrodder.automotive.com/73723/0609sr-1937-chevy-coupe/index.html)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.