Hot Rod Forum banner

Making the switch to L.E.D. taillights

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Bryan59EC 
#1 ·
anyone got any experience with this?

I've decided that being in SoCal traffic, the more light in the idiots face behind me... the better...

I've read conflicting info regarding needing lower load flasher etc. and have researched companies (lambert enterprises, who makes good kits for all our types of cars...)

Hoping some of y'all blessed electrical folks can help me!

Thanks!

#3 ·
yea i had seen the "1156/1157" replacement bulbs, but I'm thinking... if i gotta switch flashers.. why not go for the boards of LEDS... http://www.lambertenterprises.com/ makes the spread LEDs on boards... probably the best way to go yea?

and of course I'm afraid of discoloring problems... though I've seen people that just drilled some breathing wholes into the socket housing... shouldnt be a prob with that right?

#4 ·
if you want really bright, shop for some Xenon bulbs = 50W

if you have the original wires to the lamps.....do test them for resistance....the pvc insulation is shot....
clean the housings and add ground wires to the mount bolts (the weak point)...
line the housings with (AC) bright aluminum foil tape.....
check for good connectors at the brake pedal switch.....

results: about 1/3+ brighter with a regular 1156/1157, (as bright as they were back in 65')

try that first?

#5 ·
thanks for the idea red! I'll keep that in mind definitely!

The lights are plenty bright at night but really the rear lenses on the 65 imps... don't allow for very much visibility during the day, if someone may be hiding behind 5 inch high designer sunglasses chewing gum and talking on they're damn phone... :nono:

I haven't seen any xenon for my car besides headlight replacements... any leads?

#7 · (Edited)
xenon twist in LB1156UW and LB1157UW are about half way down the page

http://www.lightlens.com/coloredbulbs.htm

probably wise to add a "heavy duty" (trailer) plug in flasher

there is also a "krypton" 1156/57....never have tried one

do agree......@%&^*%$ cell phones!!! I have a pair of 55W driving lights mounted under the car for back up lamps....really tempted to put red lenses on them and wire them to the brakes!!!

#9 ·
I have seen this page before with the tons of different styles, and a nother with possible even more configs of LEDs... again heat would be a ***** with these close clusters!!

Ill definitely share some photos when i make the switch!!

stay tuned gentlemen... though... i dunno for how long :cool:

#11 ·
Some other things to consider.

LED's produce no heat. However, heat from another source can shorten the life.
Normally LED's have a very long life (50,000 hrs or more).
They produce a dark red (or amber) color more easily seen in daylight.
Individual LED's are directional but the replacement lamps are numerous, clustered LED's to closer replicate a standard bulb.
Also the lens will help diffuse the light.

Halogens produce excessive heat thus ventilation may be needed. Lens degradation could be a problem.

vicrod

#12 ·
Those links are crazy. last year i had planned to make my own because i didnt think such a thing excisted. Then i saw them in summit or jegs and i was going to buy them and just havent got around to it yet not knowing i would have to change flasher which is simple as it gets. the links you guys have put in here were outstanding. Thanks to all of you

#13 ·
Dill-the 65ImpSS said:
yea i had seen the "1156/1157" replacement bulbs, but I'm thinking... if i gotta switch flashers.. why not go for the boards of LEDS... http://www.lambertenterprises.com/ makes the spread LEDs on boards... probably the best way to go yea?

and of course I'm afraid of discoloring problems... though I've seen people that just drilled some breathing wholes into the socket housing... shouldnt be a prob with that right?
I have a lambert setup and hey work fine with a standard flasher. The quality is decent, I have seen better but I have also seen a lot worse. Mine are 3 years old and are still as bright as they ever were.

#15 ·
Right i saw them also say that on one of those sights. I have no worries there as i am wanting to go with the leds. They produce virtually no heat and from what i know about plastics and plastisizers thats even better then standard bulbs. especially since alot of cars dont have aftermarket lenses.

#16 ·
1939 teardrop LED insert

I saw 1939 Ford teardrop LED inserts at the GoodGuys show in Seattle. Anyone use these? I have seen the ones that replace the glass lens with a plastic lens and LEDs but the plastic does not look good. I'm trying to find out who makes the LED inserts that fit behind my glass lens.

Any help would be appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.