Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - making your own beef jerky,any body do it?
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 09:13 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Rear Armrests
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I am unsure of whether you need just recipes or more in depth material, so will try to briefly cover both areas. Make sure all surface areas of the meat are exposed to marinade. This is best achieved by making the marinade and sinking each piece of meat into it as it is cut. In other words, don't cut the meat and then pour the marinade onto it. Even with stirring, kneading, etc, some of the meat will inevitably stick together and not be seasoned properly. The marinade's value is also in its ability to prevent spoilage, so you want even coverage. The easiest way to marinate is in large plastic baggies, but if you do not want the chemical leach which could occur from the acidic ingredients, you could use a glass bowl. This is what I do. Be sure to cover, rearrange/stir meat once or twice during the soak. I leave the meat in the frig overnight to soak. To back up - one word about cutting the meat. Be sure to take off all fat that you can. There is a specific cut that I use. Not sure what it is exactly called, something like a round sirloin, but you can come to recogize it easily and purchase it when it goes on sale. The butcher can cut the meat, but be prepared for it to be thicker than you might want and the fat trimming may not be quite what you wanted either. The meat can either be cut longways/with the grain for stringy, chewy jerky or across the grain for short fibers that pull away easily and are easy to chew. Okay, now on to the recipe. I use a basic base and then embellish. The following is enough for 4-6 pounds of jerky. 1/2 cup liquid smoke (Colgin is gluten free), 3 cups soy sauce (most soy sauce has wheat. San-J has a wheat-free, low sodium tamari that is excellent), 1 C. brown sugar. BTW, you can freely use low sodium soy sauce. There is still plenty of salt for preservation. You can make the marinade now taste any way you want or just leave it as is. We like a mixture of the following: ground pepper, red pepper, lime juice, dried chives, cumin, garlic, onion powder, and ginger. This is slightly an oriental flavor. You can pick and choose which ingredients you desire. After the soak, you can save the marinade, freeze it, and use it with stir fry. Cooking the sauce makes it food-safe. I am not much of a measurer so cannot tell you how much of the above ingredients to use. It will probably take more than you think, maybe a teaspoon or so of each of them, except not so much red pepper. The only way you can know is to taste it. It should taste strong by itself. I don't know what type of dehydrator you have. We rotate the trays on ours after 6-8 hours to ensure more even drying. If your dehydrator is anything like ours, then you will need to take individual pieces off as they are ready. Don't expect everything to come out at the same time. I do let the pieces sit at room temp to dissipate the heat and then I store them in lidded spaghetti sauce jars in the frig. I am kind of weird about storing at room temp and so do not have any advice in this area. If you have any other particular questions, please feel free to ask. I would be happy to share info and hope this is not too much overkill already. Thank you, Stephanie