Mali Project: Ur Input please? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2005, 03:06 PM

Last journal entry: 1st day out!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mali Project: Ur Input please?

Hey guys.. I've been waiting to tell you all about my latest trip to the shop to check on the Malibu. The heartbreaker- I wasn't even working with a 350. It sounded like a 350, ran like it could have been a 350, but turned out to be a 305. This is about the 3rd time I've been duped. So once I swallowed that, I had to make descisions. A lil' history- Engine/tranny combination pulled out of a wrecked racing malibu, and put into my 1980malibu, everything else stock. The trans was a th400, around a 3000 stall T.C. and a Shift improver kit. I sent it in for a rebuild of engine, frame straightening, and rear end install ( got the rear end out of a 70 seville).
Okay, they pressure tested the trans, it was good. He said they were gonna alter the shift pattern, though. Rear end, turned out to be a 3.91 posi. Not that good for my app. I want a everyday sleeper/weekend cruiser. But, still better than stock (2.?? geared peg-leg)
Engine: 305 block, bored over .030 with a hopped up cam, performer intake, 'Brock 600cfm carb, headers. Shopman told me I could opt for a new 350 of his ( roughly $3,000) or have him tear apart my 30fever and build it up new. I'm going for the build up. I'm buyuing some new 350 heads from him for $400, and he's gonna do all the shop work on my block and lifters and rings and all that good stuff. He told me to expect a lil' under 300 horses at the fly. I've been waiting to talk to some other people about this, as a most of my friends aren't engine heads like me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2005, 08:35 PM

Aim that 305 at the nearest trash can and find a nice LT-1 block.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:30 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last journal entry: Still Going
Last photo:

I my mind it is just not worth it. Go for a 350 you can build a good one for under 3000. You might want to talk to that shop 400 for 350 heads!? yea right. Maybe if they are ported and have been reworked but with a 305s small bore forget it not to mention that there are a good number of 350 heads that won't fit a 305 block because the valves would hit the bore. That leaves you stuck with fewer heads that no matter what you do arent going to make great power.
Better off buying a 350 (or a 400 if you can find it) and then build that. You will make way over 300 HP with about the same parts your looking at now.

Rethink this. 1.What are you looking for in the engine 2. How much do you know? 3. Look around here get an idea of what you would like. 4. Set down and price things out by yourself and then with the shop. 5. You may want o go and look a couple of shops since thing guy sounds liek he could be jerkin ya around.

TO put a lot of money into a 305 is pretty pointless esp. if your dumping money into it!

Chris
Old 03-05-2005, 05:31 AM

Last photo:

Well, Just Pop my Balloon

Why don't you??? I was hoping for some positive feedback.. I knew it was bad newsd once the shopman told me I was working with a 305 block. Aww man, I have to see what to do now. I'm already knee deep into this project. I've already put $1500 into it, with another 1500 to go by 3/15. I researched some heads in Jegs catalogue, cheapest I saw was $299 a head I beleive. So I thought he was working with me. Can u guys tell me anything positive out of this situation? I don't need to take this car to the track, but I DO want it to be fast. Saturday night Detroit Woodward Avenue fast. I don't plan on throwing a lot of money at it (like over 4G's, and it will be an everyday driver). As far as my knowledge on motors, I am limited. I learn a lot from reading books and sites like this and tinkering around on my own Chevy's. But I trusted the shop I took it too, all they do is restore old hotrods and they have a dyno and seem to be pretty reputable. The owner told me he'd make sure I was satisfied. Now I'm kinda worried
Old 03-05-2005, 09:51 AM
Pure American Muscle

Last journal entry: Still Going
Last photo:

PM sent... Due to not wanting to keep posting in wrong Forum

Chris
Old 03-05-2005, 10:57 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

A little under $3G's for a guy to build ya' a 350, tell him "thanks anyway" and leave.

You could buy a 350 from almost any of the catalog retailers listed in any magazine on the shelf at the store for $2000 and up.

Here's a link to a 330hp 350 for less than $2500 including shipping (to my place for example).

Last edited by M&M CUSTOM; 03-05-2005 at 11:00 AM. Reason: I am moving this thread to the engine forum.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:56 PM

Last photo:

Keeping me on my toes

I like that. Feels good to have honest, educated opinions in my corner. You know, becuase the shopmen are so knowledgable on this stuff, it now feels like everything he was saying was flying over my head; as far as figures and numbers and prices. Once he told me it was a 30fifth block, my ears started buzzing anyway But what I'm gonna do is print out our conversation and take it up there to him, and see what his rebuttle may be. Last I was up there, my block was on a engine holder, completely dissassembled, with new heads sitting on top. All my engine fasteners and smaller parts were in separate baggies on the table. He said my cam was good, he'll continue to use it. I don't have roller rockers. He told me $400 to keep his new heads, or it would be less to just redo my stock heads. He told me it would bump up the compression and bring me more horses with the new heads. I really wish I had more detailed info that I could pass to u guys, but it's roughly costing me $1500 to rebuild my 305 from the block up with new 350 heads, distributor, etc. The 0ther $1500 (roughly) is for my rear window install, Rear end install (which, I believe, is geared too high @3.91) and frame straightening. And of course he is gonna sandblast and powdercoat my 'Brock intake and headers, and make it look all neat and purdy when I pop the hood. I will DEFINATELY keep u all posted and would love ANY feedback, negative or positive

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.