Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Malibu start problem
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 10:03 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Malibu start problem

OK guys sorry for a non-hotrod question but I have reached the limits of my patience with this one. First the problem, my niece's 2002 Malibu runs fine after starting but won't restart on occasion after stopping and on rare occasions does this even when the engine is cold, after sitting about a half hour or so or sometimes even overnight it will start normally. Researching this problem seems to always lead to the pass-lock security system but apparently this car does not have that system, or at least it does not use a special coded key and the generic key from Wally World seems to work just fine, however it does have a "anti-theft" warning light that comes on (but does not flash) whenever the key is first turned on. The failure to start is fuel related as the fuel pump relay does not activate (which is what a pass-lock system failure causes) but the computer does not set any codes and the fuel system circuit seems to check ok for power/ground at every point except for the computer ground signal for activation, this is assuming the computer grounds the relay for activation as is the usual way these systems operate. Any ideas/suggestions? Is there another type of anti-theft system used on these GM cars besides the Pass-lock that does not use a coded key?