Malibu won't start - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2006, 01:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Malibu won't start

I have a 2001 Malibu with a V-6. Yesterday my wife went to the video store to return a video. When she came out and tried to start the car, all it would is crank over as if you had no spark so she had it towed home. I checked and it seamed to have fuel pressure in the fuel rail. About 8 hours later I got a chance to look at it. I cranked it over and it started up just like nothing happened then I remembered something the prior owner had mentioned. He said that they had a problem one time that the car wouldn’t start so he replaced the fuel pump and some other things before he found out that it had something to with the security system or something along that line and all he had to do was to try to start the car or to remove the key “X” amount of times (I can’t remember exactly what he said) So my question is has anyone heard of this problem and know the procedure to start it if it happens again?
Now I’m kind of afraid to have her drive the car and get stuck somewhere.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2006, 07:46 PM

Last photo:

If I were you I call a dealer they would be able to tell you if it is a factory security system. If call who ever made/installed it.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:10 AM

Yes it's the factory system that all GM cars come with nowdays and I called the Dealer and all they want to do is connect it to the computer to ckeck the codes for $200.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

If it is the Passlock system giving issues, the engine will crank, fire and run for about 1.5 seconds, then shut off. The theft light on the instrument cluster will then begin to flash. You may have to go through a "re-learn" to solve your issue. Turn the key to the on position, and look to see if the Theft light is flashing. If so, leave the vehicle for about 20 minutes, (key on) and it should re-learn the security. Sometimes this takes a few attempts. Also, chec to see if the lock cylinder feels "loose" in the housing, if it is, the air gap at the Passlock sensor may be intermittently too large, ad not allowing the signal to be read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLDATA
30 Minute Learn Procedure TOOLS REQUIRED None.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK). IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password).
With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles).

If the engine does not fire at all, I'd definitely take it to a reputable shop to have it checked. The days of the rule of thumb are over, and diagnosis requires a scan tool. $200 for a simple code read is ludicrous, I'd look at a different dealer.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:51 PM

The wife said it just cranked like she was out of gas and when I got there I tried to start it and it just cranked & cranked. I didn't notice anything flashing on the dash. I guess I'll have to wait and if it ever happens again (hope it never does) I'll have to look closely at the instrument panel.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:01 PM
big Q

Last photo:

vapor lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamothe1
The wife said it just cranked like she was out of gas and when I got there I tried to start it and it just cranked & cranked. I didn't notice anything flashing on the dash. I guess I'll have to wait and if it ever happens again (hope it never does) I'll have to look closely at the instrument panel.
maybe a vapor lock i would think it burb later on and fired up
Old 07-10-2006, 02:19 PM

Don't think it's vaper lock as the first thing I did when I got there (after cranking it over) was to check the fuel pressure by releasing the shrader valve and a lot of fuel shot out. I didn't have any kind of pressure gauge with me but it seamed like a lot of pressure. I realize it probaby takes 20 lbs or so to activate the injectors so it's possably that it could be vaper lock, but vaper isn't so common nowdays. Also I didn't get a chance to see if I had any spark which is another possibility.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamothe1
Don't think it's vaper lock as the first thing I did when I got there (after cranking it over) was to check the fuel pressure by releasing the shrader valve and a lot of fuel shot out. I didn't have any kind of pressure gauge with me but it seamed like a lot of pressure. I realize it probaby takes 20 lbs or so to activate the injectors so it's possably that it could be vaper lock, but vaper isn't so common nowdays. Also I didn't get a chance to see if I had any spark which is another possibility.
KOEO pressure is 52-58 psi, so 20 wouldn't even fire. I would try to recreate the scenario, and have a fuel injection pressure guage on the schrader to see if the pressure begins to fall off, as well as a scan tool hooked up to look at the fuel trim values.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:12 PM

That's most likely what I'll do. These code scanners that they sell in Kragen & Autozone for about $100 on sale, do you think they scan that type of codes or are they only for emissions codes?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.