Mallory coil vs. MSD Blaster 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2004, 09:18 AM
something droll and pithy

Wiki Edits: 0

Mallory coil vs. MSD Blaster 2

I'm going to run a Mallory Unilite distributor in my sbc350 when I get it installed. My question is, should I get a Mallory ProMaster coil or will an MSD Blaster 2 work just fine?

The reason I ask is that the ProMaster coil runs about $69 (and looks like crap), while the Blaster 2 runs around $35. Both come with the ballast resistor that the Unilite distributor requires.

The Blaster 2 says it puts out 45,000 volts, while I think I read that the ProMaster puts out 40,000 volts.

My motor is a very mildly modified 350, and will probably put out between 310 and 350 hp. My roadster will just be used for rodding around town now and then, no racing.

So, what do you think? Should I save $35 bucks and go with the MSD, or should I pony up the extra coin and go for the coil probably engineered to go with the distributor?

Mallory also has a round style coil. What is the difference between it and the Mallory square style?

Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2004, 08:00 AM

Last photo:

Have used blaster 2 coils on mallorys and with msd units and never had any problems at all.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:14 PM

quick question,i have a mallory unilite and i never had a ballist resistor hooked up to it.do i need one?its not buning up caps or anything bad?
Old 02-25-2004, 05:46 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by 72chevyhotrodder
quick question,i have a mallory unilite and i never had a ballist resistor hooked up to it.do i need one?its not buning up caps or anything bad?
Could be your coil has a high enough internal primary resistance that she's been ok. That is why they recommend their coil and resister to guarantee the right resistance.

The Promaster coil you are refering to is rated at 55,000 volts and is in a different league than the blaster2. For about the same cost as the blaster2 you could buy one of Mallory's performance coils similar to the blaster2. For $34.88 I got the 29216 coil which is chrome plated and rated at 51,000 volts, 6,000 more volts than the blaster2. The Mallory coil doesn't come with the ballast resister, you need to buy that seperate. You should also get a Mallory Power Filter to protect against voltage spikes. Sucks when you fry your module out in the middle of nowhere. You can see my set-up HERE . The Power Filter is the little black box in the harness between the coil and the distributor. I went with all Mallory stuff so if the distributor screwed up they couldn't blame it on someone elses coil. They also show a 29219 chrome coil on Mallory's website that requires no external ballast resister for the Unilite distributor but it isn't in Summit's catalog so I don't have a cost.

Old 02-25-2004, 06:41 PM

Dmorris - THANKS for the info. I looked up the Mallory coil #29219 you spoke of and it looks like exactly what I want.

Another question - can run of the mill spark plugs handle the 50-55k volts these coils put out?
Old 02-25-2004, 07:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by McDeuce
Another question - can run of the mill spark plugs handle the 50-55k volts these coils put out?
I run your basic Autolites in mine.

Old 02-28-2004, 08:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Re: Mallory coil vs. MSD Blaster 2

Quote:
Originally posted by McDeuce
I'm going to run a Mallory Unilite distributor in my sbc350 when I get it installed.

If you have not got the Mallory yet........I would consider a MSD distributor. They have a vaccum advance and do NOT have the module burning out reputation that the Mallory does.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 02-28-2004, 09:25 PM

Deuce,

Thanks for the info. I already purchased the distributor. My brother says I should have gone with Mallory as well.

If it gives me problems, I'll start using it as a hammer and get an MSD.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:16 AM

Last photo:

Re: Re: Mallory coil vs. MSD Blaster 2

Quote:
Originally posted by Deuce
If you have not got the Mallory yet........I would consider a MSD distributor. They have a vaccum advance and do NOT have the module burning out reputation that the Mallory does.

Are you running MSD distributors in you cars Deuce? Everyone I know that correctly installed their Mallory has had no complaints. Biggest problem I see is examples like 72chevyhotrodder...

Quote:
i have a Mallory unilite and i never had a ballast resistor hooked up to it.do i need one?its not burning up caps or anything bad?
These are the people that install these distributors without really knowing what they are doing. It only clearly states on every Mallory article there is that proper wiring is critical or premature module failure will result. They also strongly recommend using their Power Filter as well to prevent voltage spikes. The only two overly priced (they do cost more than Mallory) Pro-Billit MSD distributors I had personal experience with in my opinion were both of substandard machining quality. It would take quite an event for me to try them a third time. I have also talked to other guys in different car clubs who have also expressed dissatisfaction with MSD's distributors, but still use their ignition boxes. So what do you run for distributors?

Old 02-29-2004, 06:15 PM

Well, I tested my distributor today (I bought it used). Since I don't have a car to put the motor in yet, and don't have the coil or ballast resistor, I took my 6v square battery out of my flashlight and hooked her up (I think the documentation says to run 8 or 9v MAX).

Using my voltmeter and following the instructions I read
here, I noticed the voltage drop I hoped to see. So far, so good.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I try to run a GM HEI in all my stuff.....but the 40 has no room for one. I gave up on Mallory a long time ago. I used a Accel BEI with tach drive. I quit Mallory as the Uni-Lite came out .

I have not had trouble with the Mallory Uni-Lites (because of non ownership) but I know some knowledgeable folks who have. The module is $100.00 or so. Most have gone to MSD. I bought the $250 one for the 40. I got tired of the points/dwell deal and have seen a lot of bad press on Pertronix. I have not owned a Pertronix either.......but I have a MSD and found it to be trouble free.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.