mallory distributer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2003, 11:07 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

mallory distributer

I have a 327 still runing points distributer, It has been suggested to me multiple times to dump this and get an HEI. I was looking at the distributer on Jegs.com I saw a HEI Mallor distro for 159.99, i didnt think it was bad. Is this a true HEI distibuter? what other parts would i need to convert if i went with this?
Is this an okay disto? Christmas and my birthday is coming up so will probably have some extra money to spend

anyone have an opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2003, 11:19 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Get one of those rebuilt Mallory Unilites on Ebay. I would get a mechanical advance.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:04 AM

Before you buy.....Make sure that the larger dia. dist. will fit your vehicle. Fitting the engine is secondary. What are you using the vehicle for? Street driving and highway cruising you'll want a vacuum advance. If in doubt buy a dist. cap for a HEI V-8 and see if the firewall is going to interfere. If you keep the cap clean you can usually return it. You can measure the outside of the HEI cap. Get the Diameter and divide by 2. Then measure from the coil tower on your stock dist cap(installed) to the firewall and anything else that might be in the way. What intake manifold are you running? Some of the older manifolds won't clear. Just some thoughts.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:58 AM

The HEI has been popular for quite awhile now, and they are very dependable. It depends on what you have in mind. As 'hasanybody1' mentioned, perhaps a vacuum advance will suit. I believe the Mallory version can be run either as vacuum or mechanical. However, as 'lluciano77' mentioned, the old Unilite mechanical will fit anything (I believe the model is YL) and the new version has been redesigned on the inside so it uses lighter weights than before and it comes with a stock compatible advance curve (32 deg. in the distributor unmodified) that is all in by 3600 rpm. There is a graduated tab inside the distributor that can be bent over to gain additional timing. This is the one I run, it works fine with a stock coil and no problems at all. The HEI uses a straight 12 volts to the coil, so you may have to run a 12 volt line (unless your car is already HEI) from a "switched" terminal in the fuse box. By switched, I mean one that gets power only when the ignition key is in the ON position. Check with a voltmeter, some are hot all the time.
Old 12-05-2003, 01:18 AM

These are the best HEI distributors http://www.performancedistributors.com/index.html ,they even set the advance specifically for your vehicle if you want. Mallory unilites are allright but prone to burning modules.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:42 AM
Why be normal?

Last photo:

If you want to keep your old dist. but are tired of changing points you could go with a Pertronix module. It replaces the points and basically makes your dist. electronic. You can get them at Summit, Jegs, etc.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:05 AM

Last photo:

Another problem with the Stock GM type HEI, is the base of the distrib will not clear the rear runners of the intake manifold on early intakes
Old 12-05-2003, 08:39 AM

Last photo:

My intake manifold is a WEIAND 8004, is this to old?
My application is street use im putting it on my 327 Turbo fire. I'm pretty sure pretty much anything will fit in distance of my firewall i have alot of room under the hood.

I'm looking at a few on ebay. Are there diff versions of the mallory Unilite, Which ones should i look for?
Old 12-05-2003, 01:57 PM
If you Can Dream it, You can D

Go to your local bone yard and pull one from any GM V8. Clean it lube the insides new cap and rotor and you are cooking for under $75.00
Old 12-05-2003, 04:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Dradee
These are the best HEI distributors http://www.performancedistributors.com/index.html ,they even set the advance specifically for your vehicle if you want. Mallory unilites are allright but prone to burning modules.
Unilites only burn modules when you hook them up wrong, or if you have other electrical problems elsewhere. All you have to do is read the directions.

Quote:
Originally posted by Echofive
My intake manifold is a WEIAND 8004, is this to old?
My application is street use im putting it on my 327 Turbo fire. I'm pretty sure pretty much anything will fit in distance of my firewall i have alot of room under the hood.

I'm looking at a few on ebay. Are there diff versions of the mallory Unilite, Which ones should i look for?
There are vacuum advance or mechanical advance Unilites.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:20 PM

Last photo:

Thanks guys, I love this forum! you guys are alot of help, thanx for making me and my car happy!
Old 12-06-2003, 12:12 AM

llucianao77 you are right about that but,I have used them in the past and even used the filters on both ends and still had modules go bad,they are very sensitive,the light trigger also can be corrupted with moisture and dirt very easily.The worst part about a mallory is, try getting parts for it when your on a vacation somewhere and it goes bad,you might not find the performance HEI module everywhere but I guarantee you can find a stock module just about anywhere.

Also for a street driven vehicle a vacum advance is the way to go.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:31 AM

Last photo:

The local parts houses are carrying Mallory parts now. It is usually a bad ground or incorrect input voltage that fries people's Unilite modules. You need to have around 9 volts or else there will be problems. Both too high and too low voltage causes damage with them. I have been running Mallorys in my Ford and Chevy with no problems for years.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:14 AM

Last photo:

My friiend ran a mallory for a year or so no problems, i dont think ill be goin on any vacations, with my el camino, if i was looking more for reliablilty i wouldnet have bought a muscle car.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:25 PM

LOL,what you dont like reliability?? I sure do.You can find alot of factory refurbished Mallory distributors on ebay,that tells me something aswell

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.