Mallory Hyfire 6A Help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2010, 05:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mallory Hyfire 6A Help

Hi,
I just installed a new Hyfire 6a, (I have a Mallory HEI dist and high output Accell coil with 4 pin module).. The installation went well but now it wont start.. It ran fine before I installed the Hyfire unit.. Occasionally it will fire for a split second when I first start cranking and then it will die and wont start again... If I let it sit for a while, it will ocassionally start again for a split second and then die again. There is no consistancy to it firing for a split second..

Wiring diagram is in this link on page 8 (the top diagram)

I have verified 12v on the large red wire and tied the ground directly to the battery neg post.. I have also verified 12v on the little red wire while cranking (I have a fused switch I turn on which gives the little red wire the 12v).... I have also verified the purple and green wire are installed correctly and not interfering with the rotor.. In other words, I have verified and re-verified the wiring and I can guarantee that's the not the issue..

The car is a 68 Corvette with dynoed 482hp SBC.. My timing is locked out at 38 degrees and it ran fine prior to installing this unit but I wasn't getting complete combustion burn and that's why I went with the multi spark 6A unit.

By the way, the reason I have a accell high output coil on the Mallory distributor is because the Mallory coil went bad after the first 2 weeks. I haven't had any issues with the new Accell high output coil in over a year now.. Please don't tell me the Hyfire 6A unit is bad or I will have a very bad taste in my mouth with Mallory..

Thanks for any help.
Cuz

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

the purple and green wires have been known to get reversed some how.polarity matters on the pichup coil. Wont hurt unit to try it.Could be the trouble.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Maybe the red wire from the key is not hot when cranking?
Old 07-27-2010, 07:16 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by latech
Maybe the red wire from the key is not hot when cranking?
I got it working..
My timing is all locked in at 38 degrees and I was trying to use the red wire as an ignition cut off switch but according to Mallory, I'm suppose to use the white wire as the cutoff.. Now I have the little red wire on a toggle that has to be turned on first, then crank the motor and then hit the other toggle that goes to the white wire to fire up the motor..

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.