Mallory Hyfire not working. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2004, 07:27 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Mallory Hyfire not working.

Hi Guys

I'm new to this forum but I have been viewing it for a while now. You guys sure know your stuff.
Maybe you can help me.

I am trying to install a Mallory HyFire 6 (6852M) and a MSD Blaster coil on a 89' Jeep YJ, 4.2L I-6. Now before you kick me off please hear me out. You guys seem to know quiet alot and you are my last resort. Mallory tech, jeep forums, dealerships are providing no help in this matter.

The ignition system in the YJ is an older ford TFI with a magnetic breakerless distributor. Of course the TFI coil is replaced with the MSD blaster.

When the unit is installed it idles and starts fine. My problem occurs when accellerating above 1500 rpm. The engine begins to detonate and bog down. It's almost like it is adjusting my timming way too advance. (I know however that the unit when installed should have no effect on timming. Or should it?) I decrease the timming to compensate but then performance of course decreases accordingly. It barely idles. Sucks!
Just to let you know everything checks out. No leaks, electrical connections are good and tight. When I revert back to the stock motorcraft ignition module it runs fine, with a wide power band. I really want to gain the performance this system offers.
Can anyone give me and advice, no matter how small.
Thanks guys.
Cheers

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2004, 01:22 PM

souns like a part failure somewhere I have no knolege of your sett up but i would start by checking timing as you try to rev it and see what happens there. and why you dothat watch to see if you are loosing the signal ftrom any of the wires by seeing if the light stops blinking, or gets erratic that will help you to pin point more to where the problem is.
Jesse
Old 04-20-2004, 07:55 PM

Settings

I have that same box. It can be set for 4 cyl. 6 cyl or 8 cyl ignitions. In addition, if the box ends in AL then it has a built in rev limiter. If the settings on that rev limiter got moved that could be causing your problem.

I suggest you double check your switches to see if anything got reset.

Also, check your plugs for fouling out, and look for any arcing from your wires. Checking for arcing is best done at night.

Steve
Old 04-21-2004, 11:11 AM

Do you mean arching from the insulated wire to ground? I've never seen or heard of this. Is it common wire high energy ignitions?
Cheers
Old 04-21-2004, 04:34 PM

Arcing

The arcing can occur usually in spark plug wires. at some point from the cap to the plug connector. I have personally seen old wire arc to ground at various different points. One common spot is from the spark plug insulator boot on the wire over to the block or exhaust manifold.

One contributing reason could be an improper plug gap. If it's easier for it to jump to the block from the connector than jump the spark plug gap it will take the easiest path.

It's also very possible for the coil wire to arc to some metal piece nearby.

If your cap or rotor are too old and worn (or broke in some way) they can also cause problems.

Steve
Old 04-21-2004, 11:10 PM

Thanks guys.

The motor is running quite well. The only thing I had to compensate is the vaccum advance on the distributor. It is disconnected. Like I said you guys know your stuff.
Cheers

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.