Mallory Uni-lite advance weight springs....? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2003, 08:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mallory Uni-lite advance weight springs....?

I was double checking the timing on my 350 and came up with questions....running a Mallory Uni-lite...supposed to be set at 24 degrees mechanical advance from factory...I set initial to 12 degrees to get a total advance of 36 degrees total....but when I rev the engine the advance stops at 26 degrees...so I removed the distributor and took it apart...with some blood shed I might add, the locktight they used on the advance control arms screws was nasty stuff...anyway...I double checked the advance setting and with the degree key before I took them off and it was set to 24 degrees... I noticed that the springs to the advance weights were noticeable different... is this normal??? any springs I've seen in advance kits have been matched springs... just wondering if the could be my problem....

Thanks
Nasty

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2003, 08:35 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Yes, it is normal. The factory springs are dual curve. Even single curves usually have two different springs. My advice is to buy the $40 spring curve kit. It has charts telling how fast the springs make the advance come in and how to adjust the amount of degrees at the distributor. Tell me what your running and I'll give you a baseline to start with for adjustment.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:54 PM

Last photo:

what I'm running... not sure what you want but the motor is as follows:

motor specs.
350 30 over - balanced, forged crank, main studs,diamond stripper windage tray, forged H-beam rods, Keith Black KB 180 pistons, GM vortec heads, port matched and polished w/manley race flow SS valves (1.94, 1.50)'s, edelbrock torker II cam (Dur. at .050 lift, intake 232, exhaust 234, lobe sep 110) lift at valve .488, edelbrock super victor vortec intake, Holley 650 DP, Mallory unilite dist., hooker headers, elec. water pump...I've calculated a compression ratio of 12 to 1, which should be within a tenth...

put in a 3250lbs. 74 Nova SS

Thanks
Nasty

if this was set up right...why did i only get 26 degrees total....was by myself so was unable to read tac...but it clearly stopped at 26...and revs had to be 3000+

Last edited by nastynova; 07-28-2003 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:56 PM

Last photo:

What kind of converter? What gear are you running?
Old 07-28-2003, 09:04 PM

Last photo:

the converter is a b&m holeshot 2400...Isn't a high enough stall... but its what i have until i can afford to replace it.... gears are 3.90's in a Eaton posi....26.1" tall drag radial
Old 07-28-2003, 09:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by nastynova
the converter is a b&m holeshot 2400...Isn't a high enough stall... but its what i have until i can afford to replace it.... gears are 3.90's in a Eaton posi....26.1" tall drag radial
That stall speed is just right. What you want to do is change your distributor advance (not initial) to about 18o. Then set your initial at 16o, for a total timing of 34o. With the spring kit you want to find the spring combination that gets your timing in as fast as possible. You want to have your advance "all in" by 2,500 RPM or less. The Mallory advance kit is really easy to follow. Just make sure you have a good timing light, and that your balancer/pointer are correct. With this distributor setting your car will pull twice as hard, and you should be able to eliminate your problem.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:25 PM

Last photo:

I checked the balancer and pointer during the build... so I should be good there...I'll give it a shot....any ideas why I got a 26 degree reading ....
Old 07-28-2003, 09:45 PM

Last photo:

I am not sure why your getting only 26o. Check your rotor with a protractor. Multiply the reading by two and that is your mechanical advance. However with a Mallory I doubt that the timing will be off if you set it up with that kit. One more thing, with that distibutor curve I just told you about, you might ping a little with 12 to 1 compression. If so just back the distributor advance off a little bit. Go 2o more at a time at the disributor untill it doesn't ping. I don't think it will, and it will make more power the way I said. Also with the quick advance springs it can't ping long anyway.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.