Man-No More Twinkies Too!!!!. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 04:37 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

that's R-rah C Cola, pilgrim

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 05:24 PM

Last journal entry: 27
Last photo:

havent had a twinkie in over 40 years.
and i already know what being laid off is like.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:32 PM
Banned User

Last photo:

i wouldn't worry too much as twinkies are not very good for you. It is no big loss. And, in fact may be a gain.

2) For the people who ARE worried about it, i wouldn't worry as there are many companies already copying these food products.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by against all odds View Post
i wouldn't worry too much as twinkies are not very good for you. It is no big loss. And, in fact may be a gain.
there's a good one line joke there but I can't come up with it - dang'it
Old 11-17-2012, 07:30 PM
Die standin' up

Last journal entry: geezer69 nova 63
Last photo:

yeah, when i was a kid it was a treat. mom wouldnt let us live on it like they do nowadays.theres a burger in a glass case at one of the dr we see. it looks like it was put there today. its ben sittin there over 2 years. hahahaha
Old 11-17-2012, 07:55 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by against all odds View Post

2) For the people who ARE worried about it, i wouldn't worry as there are many companies already copying these food products.
I can care less about their goodies... But I think the most important thing about this is.. People lost Jobs over it.. A lot of people.. Twinkies Isn't what's wrong with this picture.. holidays are coming, And people are now out of jobs.. Very sad..
Old 11-17-2012, 11:27 PM
Freezing in arctic Iowa

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

We went to the grocery store this evening and they were all out of Twinkies, cupcakes and all the other Hostess goodies. We talked to one gal that got the last four boxes of Zingers and she told us that she was intending to sell them on Ebay. I guess Twinkies and other Hostess stuff is going like mad on Ebay. We have too much baked goods around the house anyway but I would have bought a box of cupcakes if they had them. There were a few loaves of Wonder bread left but I opted to buy the store brand wheat cottage bread anyway.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:59 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
I can care less about their goodies... But I think the most important thing about this is.. People lost Jobs over it.. A lot of people.. Twinkies Isn't what's wrong with this picture.. holidays are coming, And people are now out of jobs.. Very sad..
yes very sad, but is there ever a good time to get a pink slip..
that companys owners and management ran that ship into the ground twice in 8 years.. they where all getting pink slips at some point.. as they(owners and management) clearly didn't know how to run the business..
Old 11-18-2012, 07:38 AM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
that companys owners and management ran that ship into the ground twice in 8 years.. they where all getting pink slips at some point.. as they(owners and management) clearly didn't know how to run the business..
The unions had a big hand in this companies downfall. The union contract wouldn't let the bread products (such as Wonder bread) and the bakery products (such as Twinkies and Ho-Ho's) to be delivered by the same truck, had to be two trucks instead of one.

And when they got to the store with the goods, the driver wasn't allowed to unload the truck.

This is exactly the kind of sillyness that creates 4 jobs where 1 job is needed. That's great for the union, 4 people paying dues instead of one.

The problem is to be competitive Hostess needed to be more efficient.

Hostess management said work rules from existing labor agreements made it hard to improve productivity and spend money efficiently. For example, some rules required different workers to deliver bread and cakes, the company said. Twinkie Maker Hostess to Close - WSJ.com
Old 11-18-2012, 07:39 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
as they(owners and management) clearly didn't know how to run the business..
don't companies such as that go under anyhow?
I'm surprised that our generous Gooberment hasn't bailed them out to attract more Voters.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:44 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Up here, the truck driver of these types of companies (bread, soft drinks etc) unload the truck, bring it in the store and in some cases put it on the shelves. I think the company has certain space allotted to them in the store, so its their responsibility to stock them
Old 11-18-2012, 07:51 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
The unions had a big hand in this companies downfall. The union contract wouldn't let the bread products (such as Wonder bread) and the bakery products (such as Twinkies and Ho-Ho's) to be delivered by the same truck, had to be two trucks instead of one.

And when they got to the store with the goods, the driver wasn't allowed to unload the truck.

This is exactly the kind of sillyness that creates 4 jobs where 1 job is needed. That's great for the union, 4 people paying dues instead of one.

The problem is to be competitive Hostess needed to be more efficient.

Hostess management said work rules from existing labor agreements made it hard to improve productivity and spend money efficiently. For example, some rules required different workers to deliver bread and cakes, the company said. Twinkie Maker Hostess to Close - WSJ.com
thats funny... the same truck that delivers the bread also drops off the snacks.. at every store I've ever worked in (going on 25 years)
they unload, the receiver checks them in. and out to the shelf they go..
maybe it's different up here.. doubt it..
if the 18 wheeler drivers dropping off to the distrabution centers.. are teamsters.. yup they are not to unload.. it's a liability thing/issue.. driver dumps a pallet of goods.. they are held for the damaged product.. if the receivers do it.. it's on them..
and no stores going to receive product that is crushed after the driver dumps the pallet of snacks, or crushes the bread... they'll refuse it... but if the employees at the store level, or the receivers at the warehouse level. damage the goods.. they still have to take them..
it's got NOTHING to do with the unions.. and your idea of getting 4 people to do 1 persons job.. but everything to do with limiting looses from bad handling..
once the venders stopped allowing credits for damaged goods.. this started... because no one cared if the pallet had 15 cases of crushed product. as they'd send it back for credit.. now that doesn't happen..
thats not the unions.. that the vender... store level here the driver owns the route, he/she brings in the product.. once check in (received) they put it out on display..
so unless things are different for other areas.. doubt that or they'd not be closing down all of the operations..
but it's the IN thing to point blame at one group..
look at the business model.. the problem is in there.. and it's not just them..
the baker dept.. not making enough goods for demand.. summertime.. no rolls (sold out/lost sales) winter or any storm coming bread (sold out/ lost sales) product on sale not leaving enough product and not refilling it (lost sales)
thats got NOTHING TO DO WITH the union.. and everything to do with management and biz model..
can't sell it if it's not on the shelf.. snacks have long date codes, bread does not.. so you have to be smart about the bread end... but like up here.. they hint snow.or any storm and they could sell every loaf they could put out..
I'm sure this is the same everywhere.. but they don't.. and empty= lost sales..
so.. it's down fall is much deeper than,"well it's the greedy union workers"
bad management is the cause.. and them not fixing (read firing) that management..
cause when the wonder breads empty you are handing your sale to the other brand.. and you might not get them back...
nevermind them having 4 brands of the same things.. just in the bread lines

Last edited by gearheadslife; 11-18-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:12 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
There's never a good time for losing a job... But holidays makes it even worst..
Old 11-18-2012, 08:22 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
There's never a good time for losing a job... But holidays makes it even worst..
not so sure about that.. holidays a lot of places are hire'n and you can get in the door.. and if your good.. you might get past the seasonal time..
unlike say getting let go in jan/feb when not many places are looking to hire..
Old 11-18-2012, 08:31 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
not so sure about that.. holidays a lot of places are hire'n and you can get in the door.. and if your good.. you might get past the seasonal time..
unlike say getting let go in jan/feb when not many places are looking to hire..
Things must be different in different state's..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.