Man oh man... I wonder if I could have a hot rod that passes emissions tests? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2003, 04:10 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Cool Man oh man... I wonder if I could have a hot rod that passes emissions tests?

Hey everybody, Hows it hangin. I am new to the hotrodders bulletin board so please bare with me. I have an 85 ford f-150 with an awsome 300 I6 in it. I read the knowledge base but I didn't find anything about emissions. I was wondering if I could get some advice on what mods I could do to the engine to get more power but still pass emissions testing. Anything advice I could get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks you guys.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2003, 04:58 PM
i think its broke...

Last photo:

quite simple. get any setup and mods u want that are from higher performance engines, which means if those parts were stock on those cars theyre OEM. or just order performance parts that say 50 state legal etc.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:04 PM

I am a fool and everything I post is trash. Don't read any of what I write and I will slink away - edited for extremely offensive language - willys36@aol.com

Last edited by willys36@aol.com; 12-15-2003 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:12 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally posted by kidneyshark
I am a fool and everything I post is trash. Don't read any of what I write and I will slink away - edited for extremely offensive language - willys36@aol.com
Auto-part....Gay-shark....I presume.

You need to get a little more imaginative in your names.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:30 PM

Last photo:

Each state has it's own set of laws so you'll need to check with your DMV and get a copy of what's legal in TX. I'm in Washington state and we have a cut off year where emissions testing is no longer required. Above that year all factory emissions equipment is mandatory and cuts down on your options for modifying your engine. I used to have a 300 Cu In ford and there's a company called Clifford Research that make a lot of really good stuff for your 300.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:19 PM

Emissions

I have a sbc 305 in a 78 firebird. The car is in chicago, and I have to have the car tested evey year. I have mild mods on the engine (for now), but the engine passes every time. I have a mild crane cam, a bigger carb, intake, ignition, headers and exhaust. The thing I was told to do was advance timing a little and lean out the carb. The engine wil run like garbage, but this worked for me. The guy who told me this races a 67 camaro with a good size engine. I also have two sets of exhaust pipes. One has two high flow cats on it and pipes that run out the back. In my state, they won't go under the car for the test, so if your exhaust doesn't stick out of the car they won't test it. My street exhaust stops with the mufflers right before the rear axles. Anyway, this seems to work fine for me.
P.S. My readings went down bigtime with the addition of a MSD coil, distributor, and 6AL box. I know this is an expensive mod that you probably won't want for your truck, but the increased spark count and voltage helps burn everything. Just a thought. HTH!
Old 12-15-2003, 07:26 PM

Last photo:

I ran dual quads on a tunnel rammed 440 in my Pro Street Demon, it passed B.C.'s stringent AirCare with flying colors, 7 years in a row. Never failed, and I never detuned it.
I think a mild high performance engine which is properly tuned should give you no troubles whatsoever as far as actual emissions testing, but many states have VISUAL inspections as well.
Mild camshafts are easy to get past emissions IMO...?
Old 12-15-2003, 08:12 PM
you talkin to me?

my car is so bad the inside would fail a tailpipe test with the windows up thats what happens when you get rid of all emission controls. keep the cat and the egr and tune the carb you should be ok
Old 12-16-2003, 10:28 AM

Thanks for all the info guys, it will really help. I went to clifford performance on the web and I couldn't find any parts that said 50 state legal. And I am gonna get the performance catalatyst converters from summit racing. My 85' f-150 requires two of them. I also found a magazine called Long Motor Company. They sell stuff to restore a hole f-150 or dodge or chevy truck. But I am going to restore all of the smog equipment as much as possible too. But yeah thanks again all for the info.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:22 PM

What is the difference between hydraulic pushrods and how can you tell without breaking the motor down?
Old 12-17-2003, 05:47 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally posted by r8ptan8
What is the difference between hydraulic pushrods and how can you tell without breaking the motor down?
No such thing....its the lifters that are hydraulic, which you have in your 300.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:45 AM

Oh ok. Thanks for the info. Yeah I was wondering if my truck had the hydraulic lifters. I want to get a set of performance lifters from clifford performance. I also noticed that when I look for parts they ask if the truck was built after may or mach 5. I can't remember what that date was but if you guys have any info I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks all.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:30 PM

Go to Jegs.com and order a catalog. They`ll let you know what is legal in the catalog.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:57 PM

Last photo:

I don't remember the exact date, but what there talking about is when the 300 went to the Air head. To comply with emission laws the factory made a new head for the 300. This head is easy to spot, It has air injection tubes at each cylinder near the spark plug location, all six tubes are mated to a larger tube and it is hooked up to an air pump. Air is pumped into the exhaust to dilute the exhaust gasses and meet emission requirements. Earlier heads do not have this set up but are interchangeable with later heads. You can (if you can get away with it. Emission Laws?) block the tube passages off with pipe plugs as I did with my 300.
The 300 is a strong motor and as long as your motor is in good shape, The dual outlet header for dual exhaust, four barrel intake with a 450-500 carb, street cam, and upgraded electronic ignition really wakes up this engine. I don't know of anyone else other than Clifford the makes a full line of products for the 300, But you have to decide if you want to spend that kind of money on a six or put a V-8 in the truck that is easier and cheaper to get stuff for.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the info guys! My head is the one that doesn't have the smog tubing. Yeah I am gonna get performance smog equipment from summit and LMC. LMC. is a sweet catalog. It has everything you need to do a complete restoration on any big 3 full size truck. Good prices and stuff.

My friend wants to know if you guys know were he could get an 87 through 93 5.0 gt mustang for around 3,000 bucks in texas. Thanks

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.